Mutilated Starfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter shornik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

shornik

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
210
Location
Orlando, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for the weekend. I just got home and this is all that's left of my sand sifting starfish.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1432584520.567624.jpg


It's still alive because when I poked it it starting moving though not very far. What could do that to a starfish? I don't have any harlequin shrimp and have had this starfish since November. Could fish do it? I have a breeding pair of Occelaris that are always keeping snails away from their eggs and they fight with my starry Blenny but could they chew up a starfish? Yikes of all the strange things to come home too!
 
It's more than likely that the star is starving. Sand sifting stars have a pretty low survival rate in aquariums due to the fact that there is not enough for them to survive on or they go through it quicker than it is replenished. They eat micro fauna in the sandbed which they can deplete very quickly. They are also very sensitive to salinity changes so that's another possibility. But I would say it's lack of food. Sorry about the starfish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new