Mutiny Ozone Reactor v2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here on the forums have one of these? How do you like it? Just wondering? I have had other AVAST products and then been great, but wanted people opinions on this. I do not see many reviews of it so not sure.

Thanks

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. Very well built. Never heard of Avast before I found the Mutiny V2. Don't see a lot around that run Avast products on here. Mutiny changed my mind when I got it, if Avast make a product I'm looking for, I'm buying it from them.

Make sure you get the post carbon filter also. The little tetra air pump it comes with is more than sufficient to run the ozone. They want the output at 35gph, which breaks down to 1 1/2 cups in 10 seconds when you go to tune it. I run around 88 gallons total, ozone generator set at 3, air valve opened about 1 full turn.

Carbon can last from 1 month to 2. Found it lasts longer with socks in the sump, goes quicker with none.

If you want the electric air dryer you will need to get a vacuum pump to run it because air cannot be pushed through it. You will also need some air valves to let the extra air out of the lines, vacuum pump is way to strong (air out put to high) to use directly with out air management.

Also get the large air dryer from brs, last about 4-5 weeks at 24/7 controller operated use and some extra of the black ozone safe hose (ozone safe thick wall tubing 1/2" ID) if you want the post filter separate from the reactor. Its $7 for 18", so get 2-4". If mounting the post filter on the reactor, don't worry about it. Buy the extra hose, don’t try to extend them, it will leak.

If getting the extra large, best way I found to open it is to put a belt around it and pull sharply (snap it) to get it open. Put the old silicate in the oven at 400 for 2-3 hours stirring occasionally until all is deep blue.

When you run the return hose out of the post filter, put it in front of the skimmer water intake so it sucks the bubbles into it.

Finally, if running a apex probe I would highly recommend to get a Milwaukee controller. My apex probe does not handle the ozone very well. Worked fine until I hit the ozone, now its 65-80 points higher than my Milwaukee's.

Heres a thread I did with some pictures too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Z - Thanks for responding.

My plan was to purchase it with the Carbon Post Filter so it all one unit.

I was going to just put the Air Dryer off the Pump, and not go Electric. And then Monitor it. I was going to pull water after the socks and return it into the media chamber so that the water entering the generator is clean.

I have a GHL controller with two ORP probes, one in the SUMP and one in the Tank, I was going to create a virtual probe of both and then set he controls to that.

How long does your Carbon last in the Post Filter?

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Z - Thanks for responding.

My plan was to purchase it with the Carbon Post Filter so it all one unit.

I was going to just put the Air Dryer off the Pump, and not go Electric. And then Monitor it. I was going to pull water after the socks and return it into the media chamber so that the water entering the generator is clean.

I have a GHL controller with two ORP probes, one in the SUMP and one in the Tank, I was going to create a virtual probe of both and then set he controls to that.

How long does your Carbon last in the Post Filter?
3-4 weeks with no socks (carbon wasn't used up, just clogged) around 2 months with socks. Once I got up to 400 I started seeing dirt and debris pile up like no other. Really breaks everything down. Skimmer output was a little elevated off the get go, after 1 month the skimmer barley produced anything, but what it does produce, well, nasty is a understatement.

My bio load is probably higher than most, so you might see more mileage out of your carbon.

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4 weeks with no socks (carbon wasn't used up, just clogged) around 2 months with socks. Once I got up to 400 I started seeing dirt and debris pile up like no other. Really breaks everything down. Skimmer output was a little elevated off the get go, after 1 month the skimmer barley produced anything, but what it does produce, well, nasty is a understatement.

My bio load is probably higher than most, so you might see more mileage out of your carbon.
Did you noticed if it raised you PH any.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bump this post.
@Jay Z - do you still like this reactor? Also, have you noticed any of your plastics or tubing in the tank start to crack and/or decay? Does all the ozone stay in the reactor and not effect anything else in the tank? I know the effluent is stripped by using the post filter. How are your corals looking with the addition of ozone?

@Ditto -- did you get this reactor?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am ordering it this week, I had to make a few changes to make room last weekend for it.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bump this post.
@Jay Z - do you still like this reactor? Also, have you noticed any of your plastics or tubing in the tank start to crack and/or decay? Does all the ozone stay in the reactor and not effect anything else in the tank? I know the effluent is stripped by using the post filter. How are your corals looking with the addition of ozone?

@Ditto -- did you get this reactor?
Love the reactor.
Noticed no deterioration of any parts so far. Only thing I noticed was the air ozone tube turned white under water. Still pliable like normal. No micro cracks at all.

Coral health and extension has been really good. Socks get dirty way quicker.

No ozone leakage I can detect at all. I run the post filter return to my skimmer intake, just in front of it to catch the bubbles just for another safety measure plus it helps the skimmer break everything down.

Ozone is setup in my second chamber and I do have fish, inverts, and corals in the third as a sump display. Sump display is actually the nicest growing tank I have.

I have noticed my apex orp probe will not hold true with the ozone running. Works fine when it’s off, but 60-75 points high when it’s on. My Milwaukee probes hold true for about 30-60 days then start to climb. I clean them and they reset back to normal. Just a vinegar dip, scrub with tooth brush and rodi rinse. Take 10 minutes or so.

Apex probe is in the second chamber. Milwaukee’s in the 4th return chamber. I get some micro bubbles in the second chamber so that may be a issue with the apex probe.

You can walk by the tank and tell when a probe gets dirty. Everything is about half the normal size.

All in all I would not run another reef tank with out it.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Z
You said that your ORP is 60-75 higher when ozone is on. I believe that it’s supposed to be, no? Also, what do you mean by “you can walk by the tank and tell when a probe gets dirty?”

I appreciate the write up! This thing is expensive and I love reviews before I drop that much money on a product.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AVAST Marine
Does all the effluent (water and air) get filtered through the carbon before exiting the reactor? I don’t want any ozone smell in the house.
Looks like you guys take pride in craftsmanship. I also like that it’s made in America.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Z
You said that your ORP is 60-75 higher when ozone is on. I believe that it’s supposed to be, no? Also, what do you mean by “you can walk by the tank and tell when a probe gets dirty?”

I appreciate the write up! This thing is expensive and I love reviews before I drop that much money on a product.
Sorry. Sometimes I explain things weird.

When my orp is actually at 400 my apex probe sees it as 475. Doesn’t matter how many times I clean it, it always reads high.
My Milwaukee’s read correctly. Until they get dirty. Then my Milwaukee’s will stay at 400 and my apex will drop from 475 down to 400. When that happens I know my orp probe should be cleaned. When they all balance out at 400 I know my tank is actually around 300.

On a normal day everything is huge in all 3 of my tanks. When I walk by and everything looks smaller than normal I know the orp probe is dirty.

When you hit 400-415 things really start to look different in the tank. Softies and lps love it. I’m in process of sps tanks right now that may take a month or 2 to get going. So I cannot give any facts on sps differences.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this is what I'm noticing on my setup, which is not like anyone else's. I have multiple tanks setup, softies, lps, heavy mixed reef, and a clown tank. I also have reverse light schedules and everything running off of one sump. Plus adding 2 sps 40's into the mix in the next month or so. So mine is setup for each tank to feed another tank what it doesn't have. My sps setup will not require any fish in the tanks, with my heavy mixed reef feeding it.

In my head it should work out, but we will see.

So this does not mean you will see a orp difference in your probes at all. Each tank is unique, mine kind of being off the grid. But I love the challenges it presents. Keeps my thinker busy.

And to be honest I get much more enjoyment form my equipment setup performance over my corals.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your feedback. I plan on getting one for PE on my SPS, clearer water and improved water quality by raising the redox.

I’m an outside the box thinker with things. I’ll try it if I think it’s going to work. I think I’m one of the small handfuls in here running a sulfer Denitrator along with a UV sterilizer. Not too many people run them anymore.

Darrell Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have directions on there web site. I recently set one up it wasn't to bad other than getting the hoses on the barbs.

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using this reactor ever run ozone through a skimmer prior to using this unit? I've tried various flow rates through the reactor, currently doing the 1.5 cups every 10 seconds and it seems the efficiency is very poor compared to running through a skimmer. On ~3 on the poseidon 220 I used to be able to push ORP up to 400 in around an hour. Last setup I've had it running for 2 hours and can't get it over 350 running the poseidon at 5.

Anyone notice an efficiency issue with this unit?

Back