My 10g sump DIY

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a manual reset for your pump with a simple 2 pole relay and push button. If you are interested, I can draw you up a diagram when I get a chance.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a manual reset for your pump with a simple 2 pole relay and push button. If you are interested, I can draw you up a diagram when I get a chance.

I am very! That would be excellent thank you

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gph do I want for 30g tank? Anyone?

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I hope this helps Dana, this is the wiring diagram that I came up with for your manual reset for your sump. Lowes sells 4" plastic j-boxes with a water tight seal for cheap. The relay and relay base will fit inside. Where the power comes in, use the male end of an extention cord, cut to whatever length you want. For the power coming out, use the female end of the extention cord cut to whatever length you want. How it works is when you plug your pump into this, it won't come on till you push the button. It will stay on till either you unplug it, or lose power. When your power comes back on, your pump will do nothing till you push that button to re-energies the circuit. If you have any questions, let me know. If its too confusing, let me know, and maybe we can work something out.
Scott
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1365216415.430971.jpg

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you, I kind of understand this. I noticed you're in massachusettes, I am too. Where abouts?
I'm sure I will have questions about this, and as soon as I'm ready to set this up I will give you a shout. Thanks again for taking the time and this is exactly what I'm looking for it to do.

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh cool man I'm about an hour east of you in Ashland. Next to Framingham

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what gph for a 30, I don't currently have a sump on my 55. I am running a 700 gph cascade canister with a reef octopus 1000 skimmer. I have been thinking about doing a remote sump in my basement under my display tank. Don't think my wife would be too happy with me boring holes through the new bamboo floor I just put in though...lol. Do you just have the 30?
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1365219450.968010.jpg

Sent Via wireless atoms bouncing around my house

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 300gph is about what I need.
I also have a 55g freshwater.
Why not put a sump under the tank? I highly doubt your wife would go for destroying the floor lol!

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have the room under the tank. There is 2 small cabinets with a wine rack in between.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1365219966.436542.jpg

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice tank.
Your wife comes home, you got a 2" bit snapped off in the floor, bamboo shavings everywhere

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets just say, the tank and me would both be in the front yard!

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!
So the relay is a spno spnc type?

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's only about 21 lbs of rock. About $150 worth. Still need about 30 more pounds. Funny thing is about 10 years ago I had about 70 lbs in that tank that ended up getting tossed when I took the tank down. Kicking myself in the *** now!!! This setup has been going about a month and a half now. Wife and I are going to check out fish frenzy in ludlow tomorrow. Wanna grab some frags. Don't know if you ever heard of James tropical fish (currently school of fish) in Springfield, but they have a huge selection of frags.

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's only about 21 lbs of rock. About $150 worth. Still need about 30 more pounds. Funny thing is about 10 years ago I had about 70 lbs in that tank that ended up getting tossed when I took the tank down. Kicking myself in the *** now!!! This setup has been going about a month and a half now. Wife and I are going to check out fish frenzy in ludlow tomorrow. Wanna grab some frags. Don't know if you ever heard of James tropical fish (currently school of fish) in Springfield, but they have a huge selection of frags.

I'm not familiar with them. Tropic isle is the closest to me, but it's not the greatest place IMO. Lmk how it goes tomorrow.

OP
OP
Dana

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at it today. I picked up some supplies to plumb my drain and return lines.
3/4 return with ball valve. Grabbed a pump that will do about 300 gph at my head height of 4ft.
Here's a couple of pics.
I'm using a coarse pad in the drain chamber to filter out debris. Easy cleaning.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365274304.150512.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365274319.993804.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365274331.645209.jpg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back