My 125 build with trigger 44 v1 sump

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have always read these forums for help and advice and just became a member. My husband and I have been in the hobby for roughly 7 years. As always I started off having Freshwater aquariums ( planted/ciclids/angels/breeders ) and 7 years ago when I met my husband we started the journey into saltwater together. We have grown from a 29g to a 65 g tenecor acrylic with a 20 g sump we made ourselves. (pictures of builds below)

Now after 5 years of having it we have started the upgrade to a sandless 125 g with 44 triton sump (V 1 being modified to be like V 2 with sock holders). We will be running 3 a360we tuna blue Kessil LEDs w/controller varios 8 pump and a Octo Skimz skimmer. The triton method is the path we will be venturing down. Currently 4 power heads for flow while rocks take on bacteria and cycle.

We currently have a mated pair of clown fish as well as 2 pajama cardinals, a firefish, and a Mag foxface ( all of which are in a 29 g quarantine due to marine velvet...smh). The corals I have are all softies ( HUGE zoa fanatic ). I will enclose a few photos as well. We are planning on moving almost all of the softies into the new larger tank after the 10th of Feb due to the marine velvet epidemic. We would like to put a few more fish in the tank and was wondering what would be the best fit for the 125 g. Here is what we were thinking:

5 Bangui Cardinals
3-5 Anthias
1 Coral Beauty Angel ( had one but it died 4 months before the velvet outbreak... possibly the cause )
1 fire shrimp ( already in 65 g )

29 g with stand beginning.jpg 29 g with 10 g sump.jpg 29 g before upgrade.jpg 65 g seeding of tank.jpg 65 g.jpg just bought.jpg 125 g and sump.jpg 29 g quar.jpg

Here is a link to my Facebook album with better pictures

Check it out let us know what you think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st write to trigger and ask them to send you the sock holders like in v2... 34.95....then Cut out the upper baffel where the intake pipes are and use acrylic glue and glue the piece in where it normally would be on the v2. I will take pictures once the piece arrive and show how they told us to do it.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st write to trigger and ask them to send you the sock holders like in v2... 34.95....then Cut out the upper baffel where the intake pipes are and use acrylic glue and glue the piece in where it normally would be on the v2. I will take pictures once the piece arrive and show how they told us to do it.
That’s awesome! Yes please do! I’ve postponed my tank build for over a year and now starting to put things together.. I would love to add the filter socks before I get water in the tank

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! Yes please do! I’ve postponed my tank build for over a year and now starting to put things together.. I would love to add the filter socks before I get water in the tank
LOL we bought the tank and stand for 1000 buck 3 years ago. And slowly bought everything from then on out. The sump is not that big of deal to drain and dry out the one side so we started cycling our tank and already had cooked the rocks ourself. Evrytuing but the tank and one of the kessils came from bulk reef supply.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooked the rock? I just pressure washed mines this afternoon lol.. I think we are both at similar stages Keep me posted! I’m about 95% done with my plumbing then Cycle time

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cooked the rock? I just pressure washed mines this afternoon lol.. I think we are both at similar stages Keep me posted! I’m about 95% done with my plumbing then Cycle time
Yes while we were planning out the plumbing and little quirks here and there I "cooked" the rock in saltwater to let all the impurities leach out so that my phosphates and nitrates would be normal when adding them to the tank to cycle and grow the good bacteria and algea to get the Coralie to start growing. They were in with power heads and heaters in a Giant trashcan for almost two months doing 50 percent water changes every 2 weeks.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're doing things right.

About the Banggai cardinals. I put 4 into my 125 about a year and a half ago. Turned out I had a mated pair (Jack and Diane). They killed one of the others and I had to remove the other before he met the same fate. Jack and Diane have not bothered any other inhabitants including my pajama cardinal, and now seem to be model citizens. Don't know if I just got a particularly aggressive pair, or if it may be something for you to consider.

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're doing things right.

About the Banggai cardinals. I put 4 into my 125 about a year and a half ago. Turned out I had a mated pair (Jack and Diane). They killed one of the others and I had to remove the other before he met the same fate. Jack and Diane have not bothered any other inhabitants including my pajama cardinal, and now seem to be model citizens. Don't know if I just got a particularly aggressive pair, or if it may be something for you to consider.
I have a pj pair they are my oldest fish in my system. I think going on 7 yrs old as well as my mated clowns... We had three bangai along with the pj's but never had a problem my female clown was the aggressor in the tank and killed off the bangai (stressed them I believe). But now with a much larger tank we aren't trying to focus on the bigger fish we wanted to see more schooling fish like chromis and cardinals and anthias possibly. I have heard that anthias can get aggressive but we will see. Might just start off with the little guys like a gramma and dotty back with the chromis first then see what else we can add. Right now we are cycling with Dr tims A.Chloride to get the system going. Then gonna get my rock scape done up nicely. Gonna get the fish in there after that then transplant all my corals that are pictured above. They are not the most unique but I love the color display.

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have always read these forums for help and advice and just became a member. My husband and I have been in the hobby for roughly 7 years. As always I started off having Freshwater aquariums ( planted/ciclids/angels/breeders ) and 7 years ago when I met my husband we started the journey into saltwater together. We have grown from a 29g to a 65 g tenecor acrylic with a 20 g sump we made ourselves. (pictures of builds below)

Now after 5 years of having it we have started the upgrade to a sandless 125 g with 44 triton sump (V 1 being modified to be like V 2 with sock holders). We will be running 3 a360we tuna blue Kessil LEDs w/controller varios 8 pump and a Octo Skimz skimmer. The triton method is the path we will be venturing down. Currently 4 power heads for flow while rocks take on bacteria and cycle.

We currently have a mated pair of clown fish as well as 2 pajama cardinals, a firefish, and a Mag foxface ( all of which are in a 29 g quarantine due to marine velvet...smh). The corals I have are all softies ( HUGE zoa fanatic ). I will enclose a few photos as well. We are planning on moving almost all of the softies into the new larger tank after the 10th of Feb due to the marine velvet epidemic. We would like to put a few more fish in the tank and was wondering what would be the best fit for the 125 g. Here is what we were thinking:

5 Bangui Cardinals
3-5 Anthias
1 Coral Beauty Angel ( had one but it died 4 months before the velvet outbreak... possibly the cause )

29 g with stand beginning.jpg 29 g with 10 g sump.jpg 29 g before upgrade.jpg 65 g seeding of tank.jpg 65 g.jpg just bought.jpg 125 g and sump.jpg 29 g quar.jpg

~~~~~~UPDATE TO BUILD~~~~~~

On 2/11 we introduced the corals to the tank and positioned the rock where desired.

on 2/12 the 6 fish were introduced to the tank after full recovery from Marine Velvet.

on 2/13 we adhered the sock holder piece supplied from TRIGGER
(34.95 with possible shipping charge) to update the V1 sump to the V2 that is the current model. We used the weld-on #4 but that didn't suffice as it was too thin of a polymer based glue. We ended up using loc tight gel super glue which seems to be holding up fine. After having an issue with the #4 we did a little research and found that other hobbyists used the #6 weld-on as it is thicker and better suited for the binding of the acrylic.
All extra rock from our 65 gal that didn't go with the design up top went in the sump.

As for my old Tenecor 65 gal acrylic we will be cutting it down in size to about 24 inches so that I can start my adventures in fragging. I will post pictures of that when we start that process. I did post pic below for reference and to show off all our hard work :p :-D

right side.jpg center.jpg left side.jpg Full view.jpg sock holder 2.jpg sock holder 1.jpg sump.under view.jpg

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5 Bangui Cardinals
3-5 Anthias

~~~~~~UPDATE TO BUILD~~~~~~

On 2/11 we introduced the corals to the tank and positioned the rock where desired.

on 2/12 the 6 fish were introduced to the tank after full recovery from Marine Velvet.

on 2/13 we adhered the sock holder piece supplied from TRIGGER
(34.95 with possible shipping charge) to update the V1 sump to the V2 that is the current model. We used the weld-on #4 but that didn't suffice as it was too thin of a polymer based glue. We ended up using loc tight gel super glue which seems to be holding up fine. After having an issue with the #4 we did a little research and found that other hobbyists used the #6 weld-on as it is thicker and better suited for the binding of the acrylic.
All extra rock from our 65 gal that didn't go with the design up top went in the sump.

As for my old Tenecor 65 gal acrylic we will be cutting it down in size to about 24 inches so that I can start my adventures in fragging. I will post pictures of that when we start that process. I did post pic below for reference and to show off all our hard work :p :-D

right side.jpg center.jpg left side.jpg Full view.jpg sock holder 2.jpg sock holder 1.jpg sump.under view.jpg

7/20/20

Here is the latest pics of my build let us know what you all think.

20200213_121428.jpg 20200313_152001.jpg 20200313_152009.jpg 20200313_152051.jpg 20200513_151212.jpg 20200623_114044.jpg 20200623_114119.jpg 20200623_114249.jpg 20200630_142555.jpg 20200630_143654.jpg 20200630_143716.jpg 20200630_164859.jpg 20200630_165013.jpg 20200704_210124.jpg 20200704_210019.jpg 20200712_121426.jpg

OP
OP
Knpowell1982

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have asked this question before but can you provide some info on the v1 to v2 triton sump conversion?

All we did was cut thetop section of the baffle out and had the company send us the sock holder piece and then glued it to where it would be on the version 2. I tried to put pictures in the thread but they didn't show enough of what we did. Contacting the company about the piece and asking them to send you one is all we did. Cost about 40 bucks I belive.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey it's looking great! Keep it up!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All we did was cut thetop section of the baffle out and had the company send us the sock holder piece and then glued it to where it would be on the version 2. I tried to put pictures in the thread but they didn't show enough of what we did. Contacting the company about the piece and asking them to send you one is all we did. Cost about 40 bucks I belive.

Could you share some additional info or pictures with me? Either DM or here?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back