OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic, it's hard to tell but one is in the middle of the picture.

Attachments

• 20240217_175329.jpg
    20240217_175329.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 95

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like asterina starfish. Majority are good. But there are a few species that have been said to go after coral. But majority are ok. Just watch. Sometimes they will eat around dying flesh of coral like a few other critters so they get bad rap at times. But some will take a bite.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like asterina starfish. Majority are good. But there are a few species that have been said to go after coral. But majority are ok. Just watch. Sometimes they will eat around dying flesh of coral like a few other critters so they get bad rap at times. But some will take a bite.
I just found a lot more in my tank, a blue one too. I also just plucked a bristle worm from a hole in the rock. Lol. So much life.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am going to add some later down the road.
Just me but I would pull every visible hitchhiker I find off that rock. The stars look cool but they multiply and can damage corals and your original post about the bristle worms was correct....gross. Just an opinion not necessarily the right one. That being said it's honestly prob too late lol. I dont think anything will be more than a nuisance in the end but from what I can tell they are all great at hiding.

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

This is my official build thread for my 15g innovative marine AIO cube. I made one before, but I didn't do it correctly, so this is my official one. To sum it all up, I was gifted this tank for my birthday, and I did an insane amount of research, day and night. I was always interested in the ocean since the day I first stepped foot on a beach, so I was very excited when I received it. Right now it's in the cycling phase, so it's very boring. Lol. I have a set date to get fish, 2/17 which is about a week away.

I have already finished the aqua scape, and I have been dosing beneficial bacteria, and I have also been adding Dr. Tims ammonium chloride. I did a full dose about a week ago, and it went down to .25ppm and for some reason stayed there for maybe 3ish days. I added half a dose 2 days ago, and yesterday I tested again, and it was down to .25ppm, which means it went down 1ppm!! Huge accomplishment for me! Today, I tested again, and it is still around .25ppm?!? Anybody know why it just stays at .25? Hopefully tomorrow it will be 0ppm, but who knows.

So far, nothing has grown. I have had it running for a little over two and a half weeks, so I don't really expect any algae do grow, and I hope it never does lol.

Right now all I have for mechanical filtration, is a filter sock. I don't know if that's all I need, maybe besides a protein skimmer. This is a pretty small tank, and considering that I am only going to add 2 to 3 fish, and a CUC, I think I might be ok without one, and just do water changes weekly.

I am still kind of all over the place with my livestock list. I know my while cleanup crew, besides maybe a few snails, but here's what I am thinking:

- 1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
- 2-3 blue legged hermits
- 2-3 nassarius snails
- other snails (TBD)

For my fish, it really depends on what my LFS has, and what they say will be ok. At first, I really wanted a pair of clowns, but after doing further research, I realised that they are complete bullies, so in such a small tank, I might just get those 2. But if I don't get clown fish, then I have 3 open spots. I think one of them would definitely have to be a firefish, maybe a single clown, but other than that I don't really know.

Ok, well I think that is pretty much it. I wrote a lot lol, took me about 2 days to write. Let me know of any suggestions that you have for me!

Here is a picture:

If you’re thinking of getting aggressive fish add them last. Especially clownfish.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually you would be ok with a couple of them. There is a small shrimp thhat eats starfish. It is NOT the harlequin shrimp. Its a smaller species that will eat them. But you will need a constant supply of the asterina or smaller starfish. I dont recomend them at this point but something to think about. The best advice is if you cant ID, pull. If your worried pull. You can set aside until you can verify. But if they damage something you cant undo. Setup a little jar with an aerator. As you POSSITIVELY id them, you can add back.

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, everytime I look at the tank, I find something new. I just removed 2 flat worms and I just found 3 tiny brittle stars! Are those ok to have in my tank?
Brittle stars are good if you want them. They will multiply like crazy though. And if you see 3 there's prob 30.

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for the build. About to post my own build thread for my 30+ gallon tank. Seems like you’re a month ahead of me.

From my own personal experience don’t get an orchid dotty back, that was my first fish and the biggest bully I owned. Unless you plan to have him by him self in that tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back