Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome you got some live rock! Seems you turned a negative into a positive in a very short time!! Enjoy all that new life! I would pitch anything that resembles an astrina star, that’s my personal opinion. So excited for ya!!
Would get pods from your LFS if they stock them, save you having to pay shipping! I’ve used algae barn but they are so expensive. The reef by steel seem to have the best price or bang for your buck. $20-$30 a bottle from the LFS would be a good price.

OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome you got some live rock! Seems you turned a negative into a positive in a very short time!! Enjoy all that new life! I would pitch anything that resembles an Austrian star, that’s my personal opinion. So excited for ya!!
Would get pods from your LFS if they stock them, saving you from having to pay to ship! I’ve used Algae Barn but they are so expensive. The Reef by Steel seems to have the best price or bang for your buck. $20-$30 a bottle from the LFS would be a good price.
Thanks for the advice! I love the live rock, just the only thing I hate about it is the bristle worms. It could have ended badly because I did touch one when picking up a rock. So gross! I got 2, and I know that there is one decent-sized left and one baby, but I hope I can get them.

I will pick up copepods from my LFS when I go get fish hopefully next week!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found a lot more in my tank, a blue one too. I also just plucked a bristle worm from a hole in the rock. Lol. So much life.
That's funny because I found one in my tank today as well. They can reproduce asexually, so I am debating whether I want to get rid of it or not, just one is all I have seen.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this is? Looks like a tiny shrimp to me, but I don't know. Maybe a brine shrimp? It looks dead, but it's not.

20240217_230044.jpg
Looks lile an amphipod. Part of a normal clean up crew lile pods that hitch hike. this angle im but pretty sure. Another would be great.

OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update today.

Since putting in the live rock, I have found 14 species and counting of stuff in my tank. My most recent addition to the things that I have found, is a small feather duster! He has a small shell type thing, and just recently he came out if it! He must like it here since he decided it was time to come out of his shell!! He is now one of my favorite things in the tank!

20240218_155045.jpg

I found some more micro brittle stars last night, and then when I woke up, I saw 1, but then when the lights turned on, I haven't seen one since. I should be expecting to see some soon right, because they are nocturnal?

Ah, the bristle worms. Last night I ate soup, right after the traumatic experiences of removing some from the tank, and oh god, I struggled to eat it. I just pictured a worm just chilling at the bottom of the bowl, waiting for me to scoop it up.

I know that there is one pinkish one left in the tank, but I haven't seen it since last afternoon, as long as I don't see it, I am fine with it, but boy if I see it, it is coming right out.

It's kind of funny how I like the brittle stars, because the arms of them look like little bristle worms, but who knows. That just how I am, lol.

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update today.

Since putting in the live rock, I have found 14 species and counting of stuff in my tank. My most recent addition to the things that I have found, is a small feather duster! He has a small shell type thing, and just recently he came out if it! He must like it here since he decided it was time to come out of his shell!! He is now one of my favorite things in the tank!

20240218_155045.jpg

I found some more micro brittle stars last night, and then when I woke up, I saw 1, but then when the lights turned on, I haven't seen one since. I should be expecting to see some soon right, because they are nocturnal?

Ah, the bristle worms. Last night I ate soup, right after the traumatic experiences of removing some from the tank, and oh god, I struggled to eat it. I just pictured a worm just chilling at the bottom of the bowl, waiting for me to scoop it up.

I know that there is one pinkish one left in the tank, but I haven't seen it since last afternoon, as long as I don't see it, I am fine with it, but boy if I see it, it is coming right out.

It's kind of funny how I like the brittle stars, because the arms of them look like little bristle worms, but who knows. That just how I am, lol.
Cool update! Glad to hear it's coming along with lots of life! And oh no! Bristle worms aren't a pleasant sight imo, especially when you have soup after seeing one lol.

OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And right on cue, as the night is coming, the bristle worm is awake. I saw him creepily moving around inside a rock, but I definitely can't get to him... Gosh darn it. I really do hate them. The good news is, that's the only one I have seen, so hopefully, that's the only one left in there.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feather duster worm is a filter feeder. They will retract to motion or just interference with light. Cool find. If you want to keep, you can feed benepets or other powder food or phytoplankton of sorts. Even crushing up some of the food if any now to powdery will feed. Doesnt take much. Theyll grab from column but needs to be very fine.

OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bristle worm, right? It's more pink than the others, so I thought maybe it's something else.

Attachments

• 20240218_173320.jpg
    20240218_173320.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this lil' guy! He looks like a turbo snail, cause he has that spiral shell, but let me know what you guys think!

Sorry for the horrible quality. My phone camera is really bad, and he was tiny, so I am honestly very impressed that it was able to slightly focus on it. Lol

Attachments

• 20240218_192526.jpg
    20240218_192526.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worm looks like bristle (fireworm is a type of bristle) and snails look like trochus.
Looks exactly like a trochus snail now that you say it! It has the stripes on it's shell. They get about 3 inches right? Do you think that he will be fine in a 15g? I feel like I have seen a couple of them now.

Last edited:

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks exactly like a trochus snail not that you say it! It has the stripes on it's shell. They get about 3 inches right? Do you think that he will be fine in a 15g? I feel like I have seen a couple of them now.
Yes, trochous snails are one of the best snails you can have. They can flip themselves over usually with no help and can also reproduce sometimes, meaning that if one were to die, you don't need to buy more. Imo, they are much better than astreas snails.

OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, trochous snails are one of the best snails you can have. They can flip themselves over usually with no help and can also reproduce sometimes, meaning that if one were to die, you don't need to buy more. Imo, they are much better than astreas snails.
Cool! Then I got a few for free!

OP
OP
WalkerLovesTheOcean

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that I have never posted the updated aquascape with the new live rock!!

Attachments

• 17083060602747356081638570719577.jpg
    17083060602747356081638570719577.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 81
Back