My 180 SPS Kingdom

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be receiving all the acrylic for my diy sump this week. This is a first attempt at a sump build and have a question on cutting. I have read a table saw is best but i dont have one. My plan was to use a jig saw for the first cut, then route the edge.
What kind of blade should i use in the jigsaw?
Fwiw worth i will be using a fence as a guide for the cut. Any input will be helpful this is pretty new to me.

Jig saw is unlikely to give you a clean cut. If you don't have a tablesaw, I'd rig a fence and use a circular saw. 100-120 tooth blade. Leave the plastic sheathing on the acrylic until after it's cut... if there is none, a line of masking tape over the cut line helps.

If you must use a jig saw, use a 10 tpi blade, but for long cuts, I'd not go that way. Honestly, I'd cut it with the router before I'd use a jig saw. 2 flute carbide straight cutting bit should work pretty well for the router. With a good fence, a router can make a nice cut.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jig saw is unlikely to give you a clean cut. If you don't have a tablesaw, I'd rig a fence and use a circular saw. 100-120 tooth blade. Leave the plastic sheathing on the acrylic until after it's cut... if there is none, a line of masking tape over the cut line helps.

If you must use a jig saw, use a 10 tpi blade, but for long cuts, I'd not go that way. Honestly, I'd cut it with the router before I'd use a jig saw. 2 flute carbide straight cutting bit should work pretty well for the router. With a good fence, a router can make a nice cut.
Thanks for the response.
Most pieces will come pre cut to size or cut within a tolence i can route to size. The (3)smaller pieces that will need to be cut will be 13" in cut length. Should only be 2 cuts. Can a router bit travel that distance through 0.25" acrylic? And maintain a clean cut?

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also could use a circle saw but didn't consider it due to the size of the pieces 5x13, the piece i ordered is 13x16 and the pieces i need out of that ate 5x9, 5x13 and 5x13. What is the best option for me?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response.
Most pieces will come pre cut to size or cut within a tolence i can route to size. The (3)smaller pieces that will need to be cut will be 13" in cut length. Should only be 2 cuts. Can a router bit travel that distance through 0.25" acrylic? And maintain a clean cut?
Yes it will just make sure u use a carbide bit look at melvs reef dot com a lot of good info on acrylic on his web site he is also on this site and you can pm him he has always answered my questions about acrylic

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will just make sure u use a carbide bit look at melvs reef dot com a lot of good info on acrylic on his web site he is also on this site and you can pm him he has always answered my questions about acrylic
Thanks justingraham
Ill look into it. And also check out melvs reef

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a long couple weeks with house repairs and issues with my current main tank. I have not had the time to invest in the build like i planned.
I had a bout with black bugs around april. I ended up doing 3 treatments of interceptor which successfully eradicated the unwanted bugs along with the wanted amphipod, copods and 2 cleaner shrimp. Immediately after treatment i started adding pods to try and keep the balance. I eventually ended up having a hair algea outbreak that is almost completely gone through removal and water changes. Then all corals stalled in growth and caused an alk swing. Now i have been trying to figure out the consumption over the last month with varying results. Seems like every few days is different. Sometimes more sometimes less. But i have lost a few frags in the meantime. My time has been exhausted. Hopefully now as im starting at a very low dosage in comparison to the past consumption ill be looking more stable.
I will be receiving acrylic for the sump build (scheduled delivery wednesday).
Then ill get back in the swing of things.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i was able to spend so time in the build. I recieved the cast acrylic from professional plastics this week.
20170621_181547.jpg

Unpacked it last night to check it out, all looked good. The cuts were very accurate and smooth. This morning i started fitting the sump together with electrical tape to keep it secure during the fitup. After most of the morning cutting, routing and fitting.
20170624_105119.jpg

I started about lunch time securing the inner pieces.
20170624_111829.jpg

20170624_113354.jpg

Once i completed sock holder i set it in place with the overflow/ bubble trap bulkhead and wall for ato reservoir.
Then i placed all the exterior walls around the perimeter and permanently secured them also. Finished product.
20170624_142929.jpg

I also added a top to attach the bulkhead fitting for the drains coming from the display tank. (3) 1in and a half abs bulkheads will be drilled to recieve the overflow water.
20170624_193104.jpg

All (3) drains and dosing lines will be lined up on the grey lid. Water will enter and fill then flow through a 4x7 sock before going under the bulkhead into the skimmer section then , overflow into the return pump section. The right side is a 5.5 gal ato reservoir. Debating myself on a lid for the sock compartment and ato reservoir.
I might wet test tomorrow afternoon will see, i should probably wait till monday after work and get a good cure. We shall see but a least i feel like i got somewhere with the build today.

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water tested the new sump last night. Ato side was fine.
20170625_161821.jpg

The only thing i dont like was there was a slight bow when the reservoir was full on the outside wall.
Now, ill have to be adding a top to the ato side to keep the wall straight. While im at it i might as well make a lid for the sock section.
Water test on the sump side didnt fare as well. At completely full i have a small pin hole leak in a corner. It seeps thru and creates a drop about every 30 seconds. Thing is, its at the would be water line when the whole system would be running. So it wouldnt leak unless the power was off and check valves fail.
20170625_163529_001.jpg
You cant see in the picture but the leak is above the plane of the sock holder in the left corner. The only idea i have for a fix is cutting a 1/4"x1/4"×18" piece and filling the corner top to bottom.
If there is another option please let me know. Im open to suggestions.
Other then that ill be starting the plumbing layout and should be if all goes well complete this weekend.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water tested the new sump last night. Ato side was fine.
20170625_161821.jpg

The only thing i dont like was there was a slight bow when the reservoir was full on the outside wall.
Now, ill have to be adding a top to the ato side to keep the wall straight. While im at it i might as well make a lid for the sock section.
Water test on the sump side didnt fare as well. At completely full i have a small pin hole leak in a corner. It seeps thru and creates a drop about every 30 seconds. Thing is, its at the would be water line when the whole system would be running. So it wouldnt leak unless the power was off and check valves fail.
20170625_163529_001.jpg
You cant see in the picture but the leak is above the plane of the sock holder in the left corner. The only idea i have for a fix is cutting a 1/4"x1/4"×18" piece and filling the corner top to bottom.
If there is another option please let me know. Im open to suggestions.
Other then that ill be starting the plumbing layout and should be if all goes well complete this weekend.
Weld on 16 won't be as clean but will do the trick

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like silicone. I little more watery takes a little longer to weld together but if u only have a pinhole size hole I think it would be fine to use

OP
OP
Acro maniac

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like silicone. I little more watery takes a little longer to weld together but if u only have a pinhole size hole I think it would be fine to use
Thank for the info ill look into it. Really dont want a 1/4 " piller in one corner but i didnt think i had another option

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type of weld on for acrylic
Thank for the info ill look into it. Really dont want a 1/4 " piller in one corner but i didnt think i had another option
u close to New Jersey?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back