OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is slightly cloudy today I’m assuming it is the phosphate remover as this is the only thing I have changed
Is it supposed to do this ?
Also the Cyano algea is spreading I’m going to suck as much of it out as I can with a siphon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just woke up to everything being dead
My heater has gone out of whack and it has risen to like 38C and killed everything ;Drowning
Some coral still has colour but I bet it is dead with a temperature like that
I don’t really know what to do

Edit: Ok and some time to compose myself now and I need to decide what I want to do. I have 2 options. I can restart on this current tank or I can convert my 200L tropical tank to saltwater. An external filter for the 200L will cost me £100 and im planning on using the same lighting if that would work. I would use the current live rock and sand that I have and get more dry rock to finish the aquascape (also more sand if needed)
What are we thinking ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry. :(
-d
Thanks, I guess it was my own fault for putting in a considerably larger heater and not even thinking that it might heat the tank too much. I can’t do much now apart from learn from it

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: Ok and some time to compose myself now and I need to decide what I want to do. I have 2 options. I can restart on this current
That sucks, sorry. I would restart current tank. My reasoning is that you already know how this tank behaves. Your flow, lights and rocks are set. Use the money to get a heater controller. Like an Ink bird.

keep lights off for a few days and then
I would give your rocks a good scrub and change out most of the water. Practice testing the water with your new test kits. Get a good maintenance routine down.

Also, IMO it’s important to be able to make your own water. RODI unit was one of my first purchase for my tank. There are smaller units available that can be hooked up and removed if space is an issue.

mistakes happen. I’ve made a few myself. Like you said, learn from them. You can do this! You WILL have a beautiful reef some day!

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, sorry. I would restart current tank. My reasoning is that you already know how this tank behaves. Your flow, lights and rocks are set. Use the money to get a heater controller. Like an Ink bird.

keep lights off for a few days and then
I would give your rocks a good scrub and change out most of the water. Practice testing the water with your new test kits. Get a good maintenance routine down.

Also, IMO it’s important to be able to make your own water. RODI unit was one of my first purchase for my tank. There are smaller units available that can be hooked up and removed if space is an issue.

mistakes happen. I’ve made a few myself. Like you said, learn from them. You can do this! You WILL have a beautiful reef some day!
Thanks, I’m deffo going to scrub those rocks and get rid of that Cyano

That tank is just so tempting…

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is just so tempting…
It’s really up to you. The other tank is already setup with freshwater though ? Or did I mis understand?

I also have a freshwater tank and I would miss it! I too have contemplated turning it into a marine tank.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really up to you. The other tank is already setup with freshwater though ? Or did I mis understand?

I also have a freshwater tank and I would miss it! I too have contemplated turning it into a marine tank.
Yeah I would need to rehome my fish, I only have 2 small fish so I don’t think it will be too difficult
In my opinion and from my (little) experience saltwater tanks are so much better than freshwater even though they can be a lot more difficult

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion and from my (little) experience saltwater tanks are so much better than freshwater even though they can be a lot more difficult
I agree. There is so much more life that lives in a saltwater tank. Although, I have a school of Rosy barbs in my freshwater tank, hard to get schooling fish for salt. So it’s a trade off sometimes.

Just keep in mind that with a bigger tank, bigger water changes are needed to fix issues.
That is what is keeping me from a big tank. Instead I have multiple small tanks! Lol
F32745F0-318D-4851-ACC6-B8A08F4ACAC0.jpeg
This tank is only 20 liters and only a few months old

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. There is so much more life that lives in a saltwater tank. Although, I have a school of Rosy barbs in my freshwater tank, hard to get schooling fish for salt. So it’s a trade off sometimes.

Just keep in mind that with a bigger tank, bigger water changes are needed to fix issues.
That is what is keeping me from a big tank. Instead I have multiple small tanks! Lol
F32745F0-318D-4851-ACC6-B8A08F4ACAC0.jpeg
This tank is only 20 liters and only a few months old
I didn’t think a 200L was that big in the saltwater world to be honest but I’m used to doing water changes from having tropical fish in it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back