Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I noticed that it isn't covered. Do you have any plans for predators like shore birds? Do you anticipate rain water causing salinity fluctuations?
The system has been up and running for 6 months and the rain hasnt been a problem. The system is 2/3rd covered and the amount of rain that falls in doesn’t cause big salinity drops. I monitor salinity daily and after severe rains I do have to add salt. This fall was an exception since we went through hurricane Ian and Nicole which dropped 10” and 6” of rain (respectively) in 24hrs.

I will be monitoring the situation for predators. The sides of the pond drop straight down so the main concern would be a pelican. But water birds normally dont like to go under a roof since it limits their escape route and in this case they would only have one route to fly in and out. If I have to put a net over until the fish/sharks get big I will do that. I will not be putting any expensive fish in the tide pool since that would be too easy for shore birds.

OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
D

dkegflorida

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uploaded filtration pics and a video. The system is fairly simple. There are two 2hp pumps feeding the system. One pulls from the two pond skimmers (not protein skimmer) and one pulls from the four bottom drains. The bottom drains go through a prefilter and then into the main filter. The skimmers go directly into the main filter. After the main filter the water does through a polishing filter and finally through the UV sterilizers. The equipment room has plenty of room to add more items in the future. For now the filtration is way more than enough for the system.

Album - https://photos.app.goo.gl/U9UUKSju5T47BiFH6

AquaCave

How do I get smarter in the hobby?

• Experiment with reefing

Votes: 238 56.5%
  • Read books

Votes: 162 38.5%
  • Subscribe to magazines

Votes: 73 17.3%
  • Read Reef2Reef

Votes: 318 75.5%
  • Talk to other reefers