My 240g tank

Jcald327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys (and gals).
So I've been lurking around in the hobby for about 5 years, been in the salt water game for about 2. My first tank (76g half cylinder) lasted about 9 months before I got the bug for more real estate and I stumbled across my current on craigslist and snagged it up. Tank is 8 foot x 3 foot x 18 inches with a filled WL of about 16.5-17 inches, or 240ish gallons. Tank is 3/4 glass and rimleed. Below is a 70 gallon custom sump from Glasscages in dixon tn (I've had great experience with them, others not so much, you can PM with any questions if you want). Drain is a bean animal style, all with 1.5 inch drains. Return is a pair of 1 inch pipes from my manifold.
Let's talk light Haha. So, on top of the tank I've got 4 zeus200s from aquazeal or something like that in China. Biggest problem is I wanted the lights directly ontop of tank, not hanging 6-12 inches above, and my tank is 24 square feet at the bottom. I called and asked and emailed till my fingers bled, and everyone wanted to sell me like 8 kessils, or 4 giant radions of hydras, or 8 AI primes ect ect. This was was too much given I was in the hobby for a few hundred bucks in equipment, and 1500$ for the tank and stand (which I would recoup half of selling my old setup). I broke down and spend a hair under a grand on these lights, wifi controller, and airmail from China (they got here in 5 days even with a custom color blend).
Sooo
In the sump, stole a bubble king mini 180 v2 from Ebay for like 145$, and was shocked to say the least when it showed up in a 2 foot tall box (it's got mini in the name LOL). 900 watts worth of heaters (through some scientificy type controller thingy with temp probe Haha), and a jaebo dct 12000 DC return pump. Also running brs dual media reactor and some dsuny lights I used on my old tank for refugium lights. I've got one of those generic float shutoff valves hooked up to a small (like 50gph) pump in my ro reservoir that is on an Amazon smart switch which comes on 4-6 times a day for 2-3 minutes (slightly changes seasonally based on evaporation, I try to use the float to maintain perfect water level in sump but the pump itself is timed to a point it was self sufficient for months without needing the float). Next post when I get around to it will be livestock (because I've got some questions on a few things).
36846.jpeg
20181206_073214.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Nice huge tank.

1-photo-u1.jpg

OP
OP
Jcald327

Jcald327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo
For livestock.

First and foremost
A**hole fish.
He's a yellow tang, he kind of spurred the upgrade from the 76 to where we are at. Turns out it was never a space thing, he just wants to be an @**. He's chased 3 4 fish out of the top over the year (2 clowns, a 6 line and a lawnmower blenny), working on getting a net put across the top. Also had a skunk cleaner and a peppermint disappear, I'm blaming my second not so nice fish, a falco basslet. Those are my 2 pains. Since I had them, I decided to take a slightly agressive mix for fish, and have added 3 more tangs. A naso, a blue regal, and a sailfin. I can't wait for them to grow and put the YT in its place.
Let's see if I can figure out how to do this picture thing. (Its not going well).
Coral wise I had 1 eagle eye zoa that popped up on the 1 peice of live rock I purchased to seed tank. 1 polyp is up to low 40s or so in about 19-20 months. I've since purchased a zoa frag pack, and gotten quiet good growth out of most of them, most notably the brownish red tentacled orange and green eyed ones that are currently fighting my first group of eagle eyes for space. They're is even a few (3) morphs that are in between the 2 that have this weird blend of bluish green swirl going in the center.
Maybe I should just list these out instead of telling a story about every coral. (Haha)

Red and teal (azure blue?) Micromussa (sold to me as a Christmas micromussa)
Green and purple acan
Green acropora millipora (this almost completely bleached and died off due to tank miscare, but is making a comeback)
full

A weird group of palythoas that have mixed centers of purple / red streaks in the meat with bright blue centers. Can you guys help identifying the green thing on left?

full

7 kinds of zoas, whatever lol, none of them are 'designer corals, see pictures).
full

full

Green torch hammer
full

as well as purple hammer. (Another non ID'ed coral in the back if you guys could be so kind.
full

Purple blastomussa (this guy wont grow or live without food).
A beautiful acan echinata (cant ever remember the name lol, feel so dumb googling empinada coral).
full

Some gsp
A pulsing xenia
A Duncan with 3.4 million (yea I counted) heads. (Or 20)
full

And now the most recent frag pack, with no documentation of course.
I got an entrusting montipora red with green polyps (showing the slightest poly extension in shady spot of tank after a week).
A sun coral (awesome thanks lol, must feeeeed)
And there are a few corals I cant identify.
full

full

full

View attachment 20181206_075352.jpg

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R that’s a great looking beautiful tank!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back