My 29 Gallon build

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all, after running a 12 gallon Aquapod for about a year in my classroom (I'm a teacher), I finally started a tank at home.

Its going to be FOWLR for a while - I have to really think about do I want to spend a lot of money on lighting or a little money on lighting.

Right now it is setup with a 17watt T8 bulb in an AGA hood. I've got an Aquaclear 50 filter running activated carbon to deal with the massive amount of fish food my son dumped in the tank.

Circulation is from a jebao wp25 and tunze 6025. I've got a cooling fan setup for hot days and a 150 watt heater setup for cold days. I setup a little cabinent with a triplite surger protector for my electrical.

Got about 30 lbs of dry rock plus 4 pieces of Caribbean live rock.

A tunze osmolator nano is on its way and I'm thinking about skimmer choices.

In lieu of pictures I made this quick video tour. Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;tgbl-_R3GsY]http://youtu.be/tgbl-_R3GsY[/video]

Ryan2428

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more and more I see these 29 gallons I want one . Looking good so far bud . U want to see a over run coral 29 look up Pete polyps build thread lol

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you teach and what grade level? Just curious! awesome that you have an aquapod in your classroom!

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a tank in a classroom seems amazing. I would love to do that! (Aspiring teacher here)

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I teach 8th grade math and science. The aquapod isn't really related to most of what I teach - its more of a hobby that I try to get kids to think about. There are usually 1-4 kids who are actually interested in the tank.

The aquapod has been a good experience because basically a lot of its design is flawed - the rear compartments are too small and they are covered, the thing doesn't vent at all, the lighting is dated, etc. So I took the hood off, replaced the light with a par30 bulb, added an AquaC remora, chemipure elite, an ato, a dosing system, and now I've got a small thriving tank. I'll make a similar video showing it off. It doesn't have anything crazy in it, just everything is doing well.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in boston visiting family for the last few days - I was hoping the tank would finish cycling while I was away - and it did! Nitrites are bottomed out and Nitrates are up. So tomorrow a water change is on tap as well as installing my osmolator.

Then, its on to the question of livestock.

He's the deal: I'm around until about August 11th, and then I'm going away for 2.5 weeks. I may or may not have someone here looking in on the cats. If I do, that person could feed fish. However, if I don't (and I bring the cats with us - which is an ordeal but I've done it before...) I won't have a tank sitter.

My inclination was to wait on fish until I get back so that the tank has more time to mature. That would give me some time to think about stocking.

In the meantime, I was thinking about a little clean up crew? I don't think it makes sense to do the full 29 gallon reefcleaners kit as the tank really isn't that dirty. Any suggestions on how many creatures? Also, what about a cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp or something? I could always feed them on a little fish feeder.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some snails and crabs, they are happily crusing around.

Now, the next question is which HOB skimmer. I'm considering an AquaC Remora-S with skimmer box, The AquaMaxx HOB XC, The JNS ConeS HOB, and the Skimz HS2. I'd like it to be rated for a tank at least double the size of my tank, I'd like an overflow option and I'd like it to be cheap. Obviously you can't get all those things!

Anyone have any experience with these? I've read up on all of them, on many forums, and they all have their positives and negatives. Finally, I already own a Remora Nano on my school tank and besides being noisy it works very well. Pulls nice dark, if a little wet, skimate.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all - a little update.

I scored a remora plus pre-filter box and pump for under $100 so I guess the skimmer question has been answered! It was NOT my plan to buy another remora (I have one on school tank) but the pricing was too good to pass up. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the AquaC gear, but I was intriguted by the JNS and Aquamaxx HOB skimmers and was alternately planning to go that route.

I also took out the tunze pump and am currently only using the Jebao wp-25 on the lowest setting of Ramp mode. I might change this in the future but I'm having a ton of trouble positioning my circulation pump/pumps such that they dont' drive my Tunze osmolator nano crazy (the ato) and simulatenously stir up my sand bed. I'm very close to removing the sand altogether right now and going bare bottom. However, it is just one location on the sand bed that is over-stirred so probably with some careful positioning I can fix it.

My new question regards tank controllers - I'm going to be buying one, no doubt, in order to control my cooling fan and heater. It seems for the price that the DA reefkeeper lite basic pacakge really can't be beat. But I don't mind waiting and getting the Apex Junior. Any comments regarding this? Keep in mind, I have no controllable lights or leak sensoring equipment or anything. This would be for very simple use - and it would likely remain that way. All the LED systems I'm considering come with their own built in controller or not at all.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube_share;TrgpU-XAxL8]http://youtu.be/TrgpU-XAxL8?t=5s[/video]

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the video above today - the only thing that is different is that I have since put the skimmer in - on the right side of the tank, and put the jebao wp-25, right in front of the skimmer, aimed towards the rear of the tank such that it slightly deflects off the skimmer box. Seems to have created lots of movement in the tank without stirring the sand bed up too much.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought two of the Coral Complusion 40watt Par38 bulbs. I'm not going to be able to set them up for about three weeks, but I'm pumped about this lighting upgrade, they are on sale right now, FYI.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like I said in the video, I had been considering the current usa orbit marine 24-36" fixture. That one has 23 watts of LED, I'm going to be running 80 watts - should be very different. I decided I didn't care about the lights being able to ramp on and off.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - A big change on the horizon. I'm on vacation in southern NH and it is quite rainy. To have an activity, I took my two kids to Petco today where we found a free 55 gallon aquarium. Since all my gear is sized for a 55 or higher, I figured that the increased water volume is a no brainer. So they are holding it for me and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Now, I have to sort out lighting, as that is the only thing I hadn't planned for a longer dimension. Sell the par38s and go with a fixture like the aquatic life or pick up two more par38s?

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update:

I got that free 55gallon tank and I built it a stand. I bought 80/20 quickframe with which I will mount my two Arctic S024 lights by Ocean Revive. I'm going to pick up more sand and a bunch more live rock from my LFS. Royal Gramma plus CC are still the only inhabitants. I will be staying sumpless although a sump will be added down the road using a lifereef overflow. The tank and stand are currently at my inlaws (long story) and tomorrow I'm going to go and get them to put them in the apt. Then I'll build the light stand (which should be fast with an electric hacksaw plus this 80/20 quickframe). Probably I'll set it all up the following day (Friday). Below are the videos that detail the stand build.

[video=youtube;eO50JgEU5FU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO50JgEU5FU[/video]

[video=youtube;PKFEeCjWJGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKFEeCjWJGc[/video]

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All done with the transfer, here are some videos and photos:

[video=youtube_share;DOn6ZQ8m77g]http://youtu.be/DOn6ZQ8m77g[/video]

[video=youtube_share;A0G_cEY_g9I]http://youtu.be/A0G_cEY_g9I[/video]

2014-09-01 07-45-23_DxO.jpg

2014-09-01 07-46-53_DxO.jpg

2014-09-01 07-47-41_DxO.jpg

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm really pleased with it!

My livestock is a pair of clownfish, a royal gramma, a bicolor angel, a serpent star, and assorted CUC. I'm looking to add a few more fish. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

nawilson89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always suggest Gobies. Thats... that's about it. If I could have one of every Goby in my tank i would...

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AC 50 pump impeller crapped out today - it had been fussy for a while so I was expecting it. Question is, do I need an HOB filter? Do I need to replace? Or should I just replace the part? I like how quiet the tank sounds without it.

OP
OP
D

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has ich. Noticed it yesterday on bicolor angel and today on the gramma. Clowns look good and are eating well. I had what I needed to setup a QT so I did and now the infected fish are moved into a 10 gallon.

I'm committing the 10 gallon to copper - I'm going to use SeaChem Cupramine - it gets good reviews.

Here's the question, I know I should move the clowns down to the 10 gallon too for the copper dosing. However, is a 10 gallon tank, with a few pvc elbows, too small for four fish? Bicolor Angel, Royal Gramma, and clowns? All fish are small, the angel is probably about 2.5" long. Clowns are young and the gramma is about 3" long.

I've also purchased a UV sterilizer which I'm going to run on the main display at a very slow GPH (under 55) to help address ich in the tank. I know it won't cure the ich in the tank, but it should help.

Anyways, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back