My 29BC latest and greatest

Fishhead Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little snap happy with the camera, couldn't help myself.
Give me some feedback, it's always welcome.
FTS
cubie001.jpg

Side shots
cubie002.jpg

cubie006.jpg

1 of 2 yellow watchmen with their pistol shrimp and some texas trash?
cubie007.jpg

Upper level with candy canes, frogspawn, orange zoas, cabbage coral, alvepora, rics, etc etc
cubie009.jpg

My duncan with 3 new heads popping out the backside and my 6-line trying to get some attention
cubie004.jpg

My new aussie acans
cubie003.jpg

New blastos, my green plate coral, and a small leather
cubie008.jpg

What the heck is this stuff called anyhow? It came with a couple greenish yellow zoas on the base
cubie005.jpg

Steve

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up.

I believe your unknown are clove polyps.

watch out for the large polyps in the bottom. They can take off and take over.

You've done a great job. How long set up?

OP
OP
Fishhead Junkie

Fishhead Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want ur duncans and blastos!!!!!

Thanks, I think the duncan is my favorite...started with 1 head, now I have 4 heads, and while I was taking that picture, I noticed a 5th head just starting...it's gotta be the easiest coral to maintain and grow ever.

The tank's been up and running since Feb 07, but I pretty much dismantled it a few months ago, sold all the old live rock, removed everything, added sand and new fiji rock, put the corals and some of the fish back in and then added mroe corals. Finally after over year, I am starting to get some coralline growth in my tank..I think its from my sump mod and from making my own water instead of buying it from the LFS premixed...glad I made the switch, plus it's cheaper and more fun if you call mixing water fun..I do though.

Steve

theplatypus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I don't know that mixing water is fun, although hand feeding my lps is freaking therapeutic.

OP
OP
Fishhead Junkie

Fishhead Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I don't know that mixing water is fun, although hand feeding my lps is freaking therapeutic.

I think its fun only because I only have to mix up a 5 gallon bucket of water, those guys that have 100gallon on up tanks..now that wouldn't be fun at all.

It definitely is fun to spot feed all the corals. Being a dude, I never thought I would ever hear myself say these words but "I really could use a brand new turkey baster!!!". I bought an OXO baster from Linen's and things and the bulb is always coming loose, letting in air and I hate fiddling with it, it won't squirt!!! Would love one of those long ones from the LFS but I can't see spending $25 on something like that.

Back to spot feeding, I like watching everything open up to take food in, and after everything is gorged full of food, the tank is just so mellow looking..they are all happy campers.

Got any pics of your tank??

Steve

OP
OP
Fishhead Junkie

Fishhead Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a nice little rock covered in zoos yesterday from my LFS. I need to snap a picture of them, figured I'd wait for them to become used to my tank and fully open. I am slightly colorblind so you'll all have to tell me what color you think they are....to me they look like they have a red colored skirt around them with blueish/purple centers, maybe a touch of white.

I figured they'd be a change of pace from all those green with the orange centers I have...those things are out of control..gonna have to frag some of them off and trade them....anyone on this site from MICHIGAN?

Steve

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my turkey baster at the dollar store. It came in a kit with a brush. So I got a new feeding tool, and a way to appy BBQ sauce! win, win I think ;)

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool tank. I might add though, the blue hippo tang will outgrow the tank within a few months or so (6-12 months down the road), so having a new home for it later on would be great. Maybe you can even arrange for a trade for a smaller hippo tang again.

Tangs get aggressive when stressed, in this case it will be by space constraints. If you notice him getting too aggressive, then its time. Regardless though, you have good coral taste and plenty of colors which I like! haha

OP
OP
Fishhead Junkie

Fishhead Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my turkey baster at the dollar store. It came in a kit with a brush. So I got a new feeding tool, and a way to appy BBQ sauce! win, win I think ;)

MMMMMMMMM....bbq sauce, saltwater, and mysis shrimp surprise...now that sounds like a real winner..you could bottle that stuff and let EMMERIL use it on his show!

I think I've learned the trick with my turkey baster...seems to be working much better as long as I don't get violent with it.

All I can say about spot feeding is...the more I do it, the quicker my duncan keeps growing. I try not to waste too much into the water, really try and get it into all the corals mouths. That duncan's 5th head is growing at a geometric rate, I just noticed the very beginning of a head a few days ago and it's almost fully grown...must be that MUTANT MYSIS I picked up from Cherynobol.

Steve

OP
OP
Fishhead Junkie

Fishhead Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I started out with about 15-20lbs, so it should be right around that number. I orginally had well over 30lbs of the rock I first started out with...a reddish colored aquacultured lava type looking rock. It served its purpose but made the tank much too dark looking. Once I switched over to this bright fiji rock and swapped out my CC for pink fiji sand, the tank really lightened up. It was a good decision on my part I believe.

It probably looks like more rock than it really is from the way it is stacked. The center is mostly open, it's just hard to tell from the pic.

Steve

ReefKid15

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I started out with about 15-20lbs, so it should be right around that number. I orginally had well over 30lbs of the rock I first started out with...a reddish colored aquacultured lava type looking rock. It served its purpose but made the tank much too dark looking. Once I switched over to this bright fiji rock and swapped out my CC for pink fiji sand, the tank really lightened up. It was a good decision on my part I believe.

It probably looks like more rock than it really is from the way it is stacked. The center is mostly open, it's just hard to tell from the pic.

Steve

the blue tang is already growing to much you will need to get rid of him soon

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back