1   0   0
Awesome job!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. I like the images under the less orange filter a tad better.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank, I was wondering how the Cole Palmer Masterflex continuous pump was working with the calcium reactor?

OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank, I was wondering how the Cole Palmer Masterflex continuous pump was working with the calcium reactor?

So the idea is to use a continuous pump to pull the water from the tank and feeds it into the calcium reactor at a constant rate, combines with steady injections of co2, it keeps the PH within the reactor very stable, which in turn dissolving alk, cal and mag, at a consistent rate and adding it back into the tank. Then whenever you need to adjust parameters to match my tank consumption, you just increase or lower the rate of the pump and the rate of the co2 together depending on if you want add more or less, but you just need to keep the PH inside the reactor the same. I liked to keep it around 6.5 or 6.6 (this also changes depending on your media type and brand).

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful looking tank. And great photos too. Thanks for sharing.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the idea is to use a continuous pump to pull the water from the tank and feeds it into the calcium reactor at a constant rate, combines with steady injections of co2, it keeps the PH within the reactor very stable, which in turn dissolving alk, cal and mag, at a consistent rate and adding it back into the tank. Then whenever you need to adjust parameters to match my tank consumption, you just increase or lower the rate of the pump and the rate of the co2 together depending on if you want add more or less, but you just need to keep the PH inside the reactor the same. I liked to keep it around 6.5 or 6.6 (this also changes depending on your media type and brand).
This sounds like a very interesting way of doing it. i just have wait for the pumps to go on sale. Thanks for the info.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that frag tank below is amazing!!

where did you get that handsaw to cut the sheetrock from? the pistol looking one (lol what i like collecting tools)

OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up 3 unused sea swirls from a local member. I thought i just won the lottery when he offered them for FREE. Two of them are 1" and i believed the other one is a 3/4". One of the 1" is working without any work needed to be done, so i mounted on the tank to see how it would look. It stands out quite bit but i don't think it would be a problem once I built a canopy for the tank. The other two do not work, but the motors seem to be working so that's good news. This will work out perfectly, since i could use the two 1" for the main tank and the 3/4" for the larger frag tank.

20161102_213314.jpg

looks like this one just need a good cleaning and replacing a few screws. Hopefully i could find similar screw without needing to modify anything.

20161102_213218.jpg
Check these attachments out for the sea swirls . I’m using them on my build , they will arrive this week .everything looks awesome man !

OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check these attachments out for the sea swirls . I’m using them on my build , they will arrive this week .everything looks awesome man !

oh man, thank you! I am so getting these. I'm ordering two 1" for the DT and a 3/4" for the frag tank.

OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've came across an other learning moment last week. I measured my Phospate with the Hannah Phosphorous ULS tester and it came out at 29 (.088 ppm). This is probably the result of me feeding my fishes more frozen food lately, so i decided to run some GFO to lower the phosphate level. My Nitrate level is nearly undetectable with the Salifert test kit, and since i've changed my halide bulbs only a couple weeks ago (ramp up slowly every week), I wanted to be sure my Nitrate level is detectable to avoid any type of light bleaching going on, or alk burn. Although, I only run my alk around 7dkh and every time my alk level gets above 8 for a couple days, i will see some burn tips on my acros.

Anyway, I decided to dose Spectracide Stump Remover (potassium nitrate) to raise the level of Nitrate. I have done this before successfully, so i wan't nervous about dosing it. Well, I probably shouldn't have done so, most of my montis and smooth skin acros are ticked off. I dosed roughly 30 ml of the solution daily and by the third day, all the montis get lighter in color and all the smooth skin acros have receded their polyps. The skin of the stressed acros look as if they have been left out of the water for more than 30 mins. The red dragon has rtn almost overnight on the third day. I immediately did a 100 gallon water changed and things are looking a little better, no more losses so far. If any of you are dosing Nitrate using Spectracide Stump Remover, i would recommend against it. I might have came across a bottle that contained more impurities, since the company does not guarantee the purity to their product. Now, finger crossed and hoped that everything else will bounce back.

After kicking myself a few times for stupidity, I went ahead and ordered the food grade Sodium Nitrate through Loudwolf. Stay tune for report dosing this stuff.

OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, stay tuned, I'm rebuilding my 46 gallon zero edge.

9b8f40c88930cfe582751eb373169bc0.jpg

OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received the reagent grade sodium nitrate today and I used the calculator in the link below to make my dosing solution.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

Total gallons of water:
300 (dt) + 90 (frag tank) + 15 (top refugium) + 50 (bottom sump) = 455
Minus the rock displacement. I'm ballparking the number to be around 400 gallon even.

I want to mix the full bottle of the sodium nitrate to a gallon of water. According to Randy Holmes, sodium nitrate is 16% more potent than potassium nitrate, so I chose the potassium nitrate option in the calculator and add 16% more to the total grams. 113+113×0.16=131.08

Starting tomorrow, I will dose 50 ml of the mix solution daily which suppose to add .7ppm of nitrate to my tank. I'll test for nitrate daily for the first week to monitor the nitrate level, and hopefully with this process, the corals will have more PE and color.
e686276d3df70d6366d664940c114a1f.jpg
3d479cbef94acd2186ef880e335f89e3.jpg

OP
OP
HBL

HBL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is probably between 1-2.5 ppm. It'll be great if i can keep it like this daily. I'm dosing 50 ml of the sodium nitrate solution now and will retest tomorrow
9f0ea820c035a37082b4730190a13142.jpg
703f57dc2e81421b69c777f00438b173.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back