My 33g looonnnggg

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals, :D
I cannot wait until i start this tank! :wav: Ive had bigger tanks in the past but this is all i can afford hence that im a 16 year old thats working at my LFS. I know its a weird tank and all but i like it.

The List: \:D/
33g Long- 52$
Skimmer- CSS 60(HOB)-90$
AC 110 HOB- 35$
PH- free maxi-jet 1200
Stand and canopy in the works seeing as i have built every stand and canopy for my tanks.
And the all important lighting - T5 lighting 4x54 nova extreme fixture (already had it from old tank)

The tanks dimensions are very weird indeed. It is 48in. long 13 in. high and a 12 in. depth.

My plans are as follows....
-Lots of zoa's and other variety of LPS and softies
-NO SPS(even though i could do it with the lighting and all)
-DSB about 3 to 4 inches
-50# of LR

Fish List-
-Bluespot Jawfish or the cheaper Yellow head Jawfish( which ever is avalible)
-Fairy Wrasse or Green Coris Wrasse
-Some Green Chromis possibly
- and others to come.....

Overall i think this is going to be a good project. You guys might flame me for the tank size and all but its all i can afford and the tanks has alot of space that i can use. Thanks for your time in reading this. Comments and concerns are very welcome . :D

Thanks Steve

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sounds like a fun project! Cant wait to see pics once you get started.
The only things that stood out to me was:

1- If you do a 4" sandbed that leaves you with 9" of water minus the space at the top rim. Is that what you were planning?
2- With the small depth and width you will have to get very creative with Live rock :D .

All in all a great challenge, and would love to see what you will do with it!
-Chris

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the thing is im trying to get a Jawfish really really bad. I really like the look of them and the way they act and burrow etc. overall my favorite small fish.(i have one before).

I know the sand needs to be deep with them but what is to little for them? The last one i kept was at 4 1/2 inches in a 75g. I might decrease the idea of a DSB to 3 inches or 3 1/2.

That is probably the biggest problems to over come. That rock placemnet and the sandbed.

Thanks Steve :D

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like jawfish, you might like clown gobies as well. They like to perch on the glass and play with you.

I would say no less than 2 1/2 inches of sand for the jawfish- and even that might be pushing it.

I like the tank dimensions!!! I have often wished my tank was less tall and deeper/longer.

Good luck!!!!
:D
Laurie

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zzz-1.jpg

Sort of like this?

And yes i thought about having supplys for the Jawfish to build his burrow. It will include this...
-Empty Shells
-Rock Rubble
Basically thats it. In my last tank that i had a Jawfish all i knew about them was that they needed a DSB. He got his stuff by romming around the tank looking for rubble to build his burrow. But now i will be ready for him. :D

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O yea i forgot to say that i will get the tank probablt withing the next week to 2 weeks just because my boss needs to order tanks and supplies etc. I will post pics as soon as i get equipment.....

Steve :D

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i have yet another question. Do you think i should tear down my 10g and put all the water all the corals and all the rock and fish in the 33g?

Specs. are as follows.....
AC 70 HOB
Lighting is 2x40watt but downgraded bulbs
Fish include a Watcchman and a clown
2 inch SB with 20 to 22lbs of rock in there.

Question is do i put all of the rock and other things etc. in the 33g?

Reasons why to do it....
-Save over 130$$
-Put the light from the 10g to the 5.5g and make the 5.5g able to handle any coral.
-Use water and filter (biologically) and make the cycle not as long as it would take with new water

Reasons not to do it......
-I like the 10g the way it is :D
-I would have 3 tanks instead of 2 :D

Basically i know this is pointless in posting because who wouldnt want to save over 130$. But i wanted to see everybody's opinion.

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therefore i would be saving money in buying sand, rock, not buying another HOB AC filter, and a powerhead. So all i have to buy is the tank, some wood for the canopy and stand ,the skimmer, some sand and more rock and water and i am set up!!!

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my CSS 65 today but unfortunatly the wholesaler didnt have the 33g yet. I have to wait till' thursday for the order. But, until then i will be building the stand and canopy and buying other goods to start the tank. I will keep you guys updated.....

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,
It was a long day building this stand. It is made out of plywood and 2x3's. The dimensions are 48inches long and 18inches in depth. I made it bigger than the 33g long itslef so later on i will be able to put bigger tanks on and have room in the process. The stand itself is 28 inches high. I will be putting doors on as soon as the stain drys as i have to put on another coat tommorrow...... enjoy....

Frame work:
s.jpg

Fully assembled (doors off):
s1.jpg

Stained:
s2.jpg

s3.jpg

Thanks everybody!

Steve

OP
OP
fishes2889

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice on my T5 lights. The 10k bulbs that came with the fixture i got along time ago just dont look right to my eye. I tested them out over the 10g and it looks a little yellow, even with the actincs on. I know there are several variations of tubes for T5, but i was just wondering whats the best tube to buy? I currently have 2x 54watt HO 460nm actinc tubes and one of the crappy 10k daylight tubes. If anyone can give me info that would be great. And oh yea im on a budget so the tube(s) cant be that expensive. :D

Thanks
Steve

Steve

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back