My 33long mixed reef

Shawn D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz-DSC_0141.jpg

Some of this was growing in my old 6 gallon nano, and moved it over to this along with some extra rock I had saved from my old 90 gallon I took down a few years ago. I took all the old raock from the 6 and the new rock along with new mixed saltwater and tossed it all in and hoped for the best. The picture above is after a few months of running. I picked the tank up from a local fish store, I had some left over lumber scraps from previous jobs and slapped a stand together. The stand is a mix of things I made on a router to cherry crown molding.

Lighting
4-t5 retro kit,
moon lights are blue led rope lighting from hardware store.
12am lights out
7am moon light on
8am 2 t5s, b+, aqua spezial
11am 2 more t5s on, b+, actinic
1pm 2 t5s off, b+, aqua spezial
7pm moon lights on, t5s off

equimp
small hang on back with filter pad and carbon filter pad, changed out every 3 weeks
2 maxi let 900 with sure flow mods
ac jr

Maintenance
top off weekly, about 4 gallons of rodi
bi weekly 5 gallon reef crystals water change

Live stock
royal gramma
true perc clown
melanarus wrasse

Clean up crew
turbo snail( sexed a few months ago,now have a dozen + babies)
hermit crabs
2 cleaner shrimp

now for some pic. hope you enjoy.

Fritz-DSC_0124.jpg

jpg-1.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

IMAG0453.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0438.jpg

IMAG0439.jpg

1Der9_3hy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome man, i think ill be stealing your T5 bulb selection when it comes time. I really like the colors. Im also a fan of the split rock/bommie style, i tried to do something similar.

Question, my tank is bare bottom as well. Yours looks much cleaner than mine, whats the trick? I siphon a lot of stuff out during my waterchanges (2X/week), but no matter what ive alwasy got a little something blowing around the bottom or piling up somewhere.

OP
OP
Shawn D

Shawn D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome man, i think ill be stealing your T5 bulb selection when it comes time. I really like the colors. Im also a fan of the split rock/bommie style, i tried to do something similar.

Question, my tank is bare bottom as well. Yours looks tomuch cleaner than mine, whats the trick? I siphon a lotof stuff out during my waterchanges (2X/week), but no matter what ive alwasy got a little something blowing around the bottom or piling

Not sure if its the fact that my rocks were use few years ago then acid washed , or I only feed every otherday and keep it to a minimum. Also my maxis are positioned to push all debris towards the back 2 corners then I siphon it out from there bi weekly. Id say give it some time hopefully yours will eventually follow .

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man, it looked like that 6g nano was packed. ;)

I bet you're glad to have some more space now. good luck with the tank. looking good. :)

OP
OP
Shawn D

Shawn D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks

man, it looked like that 6g nano was packed. ;)

I bet you're glad to have some more space now. good luck with the tank. loood. :)

It sure was packed. loving the new set up. But I loved how the 6 looked all packed. It has been fu. Watching this tank grow though. Thanks for the
encouragement.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank looks great!

OP
OP
Shawn D

Shawn D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering where I could fit another tank..

LOL. I have 2 boys and they love this tank, My youngest (6) actually spent one day during lunch naming all the fish and than married the 2 clowns...."i now announce you Mr and Mississippi". Funniest thing ever.

Thanks revhtree

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of blue rope lighting did you use, and how is the florescence? Thinking about doing the same thing with my 40br.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous setup and reef! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Shawn D

Shawn D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry been away awhile.
What brand of blue rope lighting did you use, and how is the florescence? Thinking about doing the same thing with my 40br.
I use the led rope light from menards. What to make sure it says led. the standard rope light will not work. These one work well. Give a good spread of light instead of a beam.
Gorgeous setup and reef! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words

Great looking tank for sure! What are the dimensions? I've never seen one this size.
It is a 33long. 4'x12''x12''

Some updates since Jan. Hooked up a new finnex titanium heater. The old one was not working well. I could see the controller telling it to turn on but it would not listen. Also I added a foxface. He is doing awesome. Taking care of the small amount of algae in the tank.

IMAG0573_zpsa28c94be.jpg

OP
OP
Shawn D

Shawn D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also swaped out 1 maxi for 2 hydor nanos that i had laing around. My fish were all hanging on one side of the tank, Prob to much hard flow in there, no there def out more.

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've done a lot with 33 gallons! I had to look a few times at the post, the tank seems much larger. The set-up is nicely-done, great eye-appeal

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back