My 40 gallon recife build

I always wanted to eventually have some sps. I don't plan on collecting high-end acros or growing every sps out there, but I feel that a mixed reef is what I want to achieve in the end. I'm trying to figure a good balance between too dirty and too clean in regards to my water parameters. I typically run between 8 and 12 N03 and .02 to .04 in nitrates. Hopefully, that's good enough for the hard corals. I do spot feed a lot of my corals because I keep a lot of corals that will take food directly. I feel like I have my lighting dialed in where I want it as far as par.
 
I always wanted to eventually have some sps. I don't plan on collecting high-end acros or growing every sps out there, but I feel that a mixed reef is what I want to achieve in the end. I'm trying to figure a good balance between too dirty and too clean in regards to my water parameters. I typically run between 8 and 12 N03 and .02 to .04 in nitrates. Hopefully, that's good enough for the hard corals. I do spot feed a lot of my corals because I keep a lot of corals that will take food directly. I feel like I have my lighting dialed in where I want it as far as par.
Do you have a stylophora/birdsnest yet? I have a purple stylo and I love mine. In fact, they're so resilient that mine survived when my return pump failed while on vacation, causing my tank to drop to 62°f for 3 days. For SPS, I'm very happy with my stylo, and I also hope to get more, easy SPS corals.
 
Cali tort anacropora, Bubblegum montipora, Goldenrod anacropora, tubbs stellata digitata, and acans.
20250123_164146.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212318_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212308_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212250_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212407_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212330_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212213_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212218_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212503_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250125_212500_Gallery.jpg
 
Do you have a stylophora/birdsnest yet? I have a purple stylo and I love mine. In fact, they're so resilient that mine survived when my return pump failed while on vacation, causing my tank to drop to 62°f for 3 days. For SPS, I'm very happy with my stylo, and I also hope to get more, easy SPS corals.
Not YET Walker!, I need a blue or purple sps for color contrast. You recommend this one obviously? I love the color and I love shape, I really do. That could definitely be my next sps purchase.
 
Not YET Walker!, I need a blue or purple sps for color contrast. You recommend this one obviously? I love the color and I love shape, I really do. That could definitely be my next sps purchase.
Yes, I highly reccomend it! Super fast grower too!
 
Just a thought if anyone wants to chime in on N03 and P04. My N03 is always below 12 and usually around 6ppm.
20250203_170645.jpg
20250203_170611.jpg
20250203_170549.jpg
20250203_170419.jpg
20250202_180106.jpg
20250128_190957.jpg
20250126_172352.jpg
20250126_174606.jpg
As long as algae is under control, I'm finding that my tank looks better and happier with a bit higher P04. around .04 gives me the happiest lps, and as I've brached out (no pun intended) into sps, they seem to thrive in it as well. I did go for the easier options for sps, however.
 
Last edited:
Love this tank, your zoa garden is tops!
Man, I really appreciate that! The zoas are some of my favorite pops of color in the tank for sure. They've really taken to my tank well.
 
I agree,super under rated coral.
I noticed one by your setosa. I was trying to.remember the name. Is it Yoda? Either way, I need about 50 of em lol
 
Last edited:
Just some recent shots. I can't help it. The tank eats nitrates. I can't keep em. Luckily, however, It'll keep corals.
Screenshot_20250320_003756_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250320_003737_Gallery.jpg
20250319_194327.jpg
20250319_194257.jpg
20250319_194129.jpg
20250319_194025.jpg
20250315_185542.jpg
Your corals still look great!
 
Thanks to @luis angel, I have my build thread badge back! It reminded me to update this thread. I've just got a few update pics tonight, but I want to add some science stuff soon that I've been tinkering with. I have a tendency to make changes and sometimes, forget to inform everyone about what is and isn't working for me. Work tomorrow play tonight I guess.
Screenshot_20250414_233633_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_231222_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_233530_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_231044_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_230941_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_231000_Gallery.jpg
 
I've started culturing white worms. My good friend @Imrahilwjz sent me a very healthy white worm culture and I split it up into two bigger cultures. These are colonizing very well. I'm going to be sending an experimental culture of my mix to @Rocks reef to see what he can do with it. Inspection of the worm media shows an abundance of cocoons and larvae along with countless healthy adults. It would be cool if we could keep Wes's culture going across the Smorgasbord by sharing them with all interested.
Screenshot_20250417_014654_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014703_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014604_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014615_Gallery.jpg
 
Just a thought if anyone wants to chime in on N03 and P04. My N03 is always below 12 and usually around 6ppm.
20250203_170645.jpg
20250203_170611.jpg
20250203_170549.jpg
20250203_170419.jpg
20250202_180106.jpg
20250128_190957.jpg
20250126_172352.jpg
20250126_174606.jpg
As long as algae is under control, I'm finding that my tank looks better and happier with a bit higher P04. around .04 gives me the happiest lps, and as I've brached out (no pun intended) into sps, they seem to thrive in it as well. I did go for the easier options for sps, however.
Brother, I'd keep running those nutrients! Corals look fat and healthy!! Good job!
 
I've started culturing white worms. My good friend @Imrahilwjz sent me a very healthy white worm culture and I split it up into two bigger cultures. These are colonizing very well. I'm going to be sending an experimental culture of my mix to @Rocks reef to see what he can do with it. Inspection of the worm media shows an abundance of cocoons and larvae along with countless healthy adults. It would be cool if we could keep Wes's culture going across the Smorgasbord by sharing them with all interested.
Screenshot_20250417_014654_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014703_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014604_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014615_Gallery.jpg
I appreciate that! They look like chow mein noodles! LOL! Definitely won't be placing them on the kitchen counter. It would bring a whole new meaning to...."what's for dinner?"
 
I appreciate that! They look like chow mein noodles! LOL! Definitely won't be placing them on the kitchen counter. It would bring a whole new meaning to...."what's for dinner?"
They look and feel so much like chopped, overcooked angel hair. Definitely keep separate from all of you snacks lol
 
Brother, I'd keep running those nutrients! Corals look fat and healthy!! Good job!
Yessir! Thank you very much. The biggest lesson in this hobby for me so far is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!
 
Thanks to @luis angel, I have my build thread badge back! It reminded me to update this thread. I've just got a few update pics tonight, but I want to add some science stuff soon that I've been tinkering with. I have a tendency to make changes and sometimes, forget to inform everyone about what is and isn't working for me. Work tomorrow play tonight I guess.
Screenshot_20250414_233633_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_231222_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_233530_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_231044_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_230941_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250414_231000_Gallery.jpg
All look amazing, but for some reason I love that plate coral!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new