My 40 gallon recife build

I've started culturing white worms. My good friend @Imrahilwjz sent me a very healthy white worm culture and I split it up into two bigger cultures. These are colonizing very well. I'm going to be sending an experimental culture of my mix to @Rocks reef to see what he can do with it. Inspection of the worm media shows an abundance of cocoons and larvae along with countless healthy adults. It would be cool if we could keep Wes's culture going across the Smorgasbord by sharing them with all interested.
Screenshot_20250417_014654_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014703_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014604_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250417_014615_Gallery.jpg
I'm glad they're working out so well for you. What type of mesh is that? Did you get all those worms out of the dirt using the flooding method? Or some other way?
 
I'm glad they're working out so well for you. What type of mesh is that? Did you get all those worms out of the dirt using the flooding method? Or some other way?
Those are actually ones the crawled into the bubble wrap for shipping. They filled up any bubbles that were popped, so I just rinsed them out and used them to start a second culture. The screen is from a mushroom drying kit, but I think it's just basic ole window screen. I'm still looking for a better separation method
 
All look amazing, but for some reason I love that plate coral!
Thank you my friend! The plates love the white worms as much as my fish! I highly recommend a plate for your tank, Wes. They are hardy, colorful, and add some great movement on the sandbed. Usually you can find them in any color you may be looking for. Mine are in about 100 to 120 par in medium to medium low flow
 
I've been dosing extra magnesium and shooting for around 1500+. I know many will say magnesium doesn't matter too much, but I'll say this. Since I've been holding this level, my euphyllia look happier and hair algae is becoming whisper and thinner. I'll see patches just floating away from the rocks after it starts to lose a bit of color. Is it tied to magnesium? I have no clue.
 
My usual parameters are
Salinity 1.027
Alk 9
Mag 1200-1300
Calc 445
Ph 7.8
N03 5
P04 .3
I've been supplementing magnesium with Seachem Aquavitro Ions. The product I use also adds strontium and Boron. This is the only mag supplement product on the market that doesn't use nitrites.

I've noticed a bit more extension on euphyllia, a bit more "reaching" growth from my sps, and an overall decrease in hair algae.
I am not saying that dosing mag is responsible for this, and I'll monitor and update this as I go. I haven't even tested my mag since I began supplementing this, but I will eventually. It's just an experiment of having more of a concentration of this element between water changes.
It also adds strontium and Boron.
https://www.aquavitro.com/ions.php
 
I run 2 ounces of phosbond in a mesh bag in the sump behind the backwall of my All in one. I'll run it passively in a high flow area for a few weeks then take a couple weeks off. I know that .2 to .3 isn't the lowest P04 level ever, but it works for my inhabitants and I don't want it any higher than that, but I don't want it to fall too rapidly either.
 
I am interested to see your Mg results! The euphyllia looking good and thin hair algae peaks my interest lol What is your preferred brand to test Mg? I am using AFR in my tank and check ALK and Ca often but not Mg yet. Since I use AFR I do have less control on the individual ions but I am interested in knowing where I am for Mg specifically.
 
I am interested to see your Mg results! The euphyllia looking good and thin hair algae peaks my interest lol What is your preferred brand to test Mg? I am using AFR in my tank and check ALK and Ca often but not Mg yet. Since I use AFR I do have less control on the individual ions but I am interested in knowing where I am for Mg specifically.
First off, I'll say i agree that mag is hard to test accurately. But across API, Salifert, Hannah, ICP, my mag has ranged between 1200 and at tops 1300. I had one test of 900 that I believed to be an error, and one of 1540, so there's that. I like the addition of some of the other traces in the product. This is a new addition to mt tank of about 2 months, so it could sway either way.

For some reason, Magnesium or otherwise, my gha has been lifting off the rocks in clumps. It was never really too bad, but was starting to settle in on rock that didn't have corals mounted on/over it. The hammers and torches were attacked relentlessly by a rogue peppermint shrimp and a coral warfare incident. They looked worse for the wear, but have significantly rebounded in the last two or three weeks.
Full disclosure, because I'm making no claims for or against this YET. I ramped my whites down a bit, but they were never high, even at peak photo period. This was maybe a 2-4% decrease per lighting schedule point. I run phosbond in rotation as I always do.
 
One of my favorite sps lately has been Anacropora. The color variations are limited, but the growth pattern is amazing. The goldenrod is the brightest yellow in my tank. I just got a nice frag of Tropicana Anacropora and it is a stunner also. I'll get pics of it tomorrow. Here is the goldenrod.
Screenshot_20250430_002004_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250430_002027_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250430_001343_Gallery.jpg
 
1 year anniversary yesterday! I wasn't sure if I'd get here, but here we are! There's something about hitting that mark that makes you feel like a reefer.
Screenshot_20250508_235936_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250509_000121_Gallery.jpg
 
@luis angel Im terrible at taking pictures lol. You can see the lens sliding down on my 1 year pic
It has happened to me many times but when I am choosing the photo to post or edit sometimes I realize, I feel very happy for your progress my friend, you are a great reefer
 
It has happened to me many times but when I am choosing the photo to post or edit sometimes I realize, I feel very happy for your progress my friend, you are a great reefer
Many thanks man, as you are a great reefer too. You've always been a reliable source for information. I've learned a lot from you.
 
This is awesome!! Truly inspirational to see 1 yr posts in this forum!
Thanks my friend. When I first started, It seemed like a project born to die. You hear so much about how hard it is, and how expensive it is. And that's true. It is both of those things. But if you keep chugging along, paying attention and adapting, it is achievable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new