OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued a bunch of scrap acrylic and egg crate together to DIY a photo-box for my frags.

IMG_0658 copy.jpg
IMG_0659 copy.jpg

it's definitely not pretty but for just a few bucks in scraps, I'm super happy with the pictures I'm getting.

check it out!

corals copy.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued a bunch of scrap acrylic and egg crate together to DIY a photo-box for my frags.

IMG_0658 copy.jpg
IMG_0659 copy.jpg

it's definitely not pretty but for just a few bucks in scraps, I'm super happy with the pictures I'm getting.

check it out!

corals copy.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Neat little idea to get pictures of your frags!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0658 copy.jpg
IMG_0659 copy.jpg

check it out!

corals copy.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
I need to do that in my cube. Im getting a order from aqua SD today... Pictures and ident I will do!

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running pretty smooth lately. I recently swapped over to Aquaforest Reef Salt to try it out and so far I've been pretty happy with it. It's not too different to Instant Ocean but in my opinion it mixes clear quicker. The calcium and alk in this salt are a little low for what I like to keep so there are a few adjustments to be made but, you really can't beat it for the price.

The biggest issues I'm have right now are vermetid snails and a handful of spionid worms. I'm on the hunt for better pest control that might help me out with that.

Anyway, here's my attempt at some fancy pants tank shots.

IMG_0960.jpeg
IMG_0826.jpeg
IMG_0935.jpeg
IMG_0820.jpeg

I've been doing a lot of trimming and trading frags recently. Big shout out to @SaltyLagoonAquaticsLLC in the Augusta area. I've gotten several really nice frags from Timothy over the past couple of months and am looking forward to sharing some those as well once they grow out a bit more.

Last edited:

Steelstrong81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0658 copy.jpg
IMG_0659 copy.jpg

check it out!

corals copy.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
edit: current tank pic

Hey folks... I'm coming up on the one year mark for my 50 Gallon SCA reef tank so I thought I should start a build thread and share it with you all. I can definitely say that I only made it this far thanks to the help I received from Reef2Reef.
IMG_0310.jpg

I filled this tank up on May 13th 2020 after ordering the 50 gallon cube PNP system EcoTech Marine edition from SC Aquariums.

IMG_1469.jpg

• The tank is SCA's 50 gallon square tank (24x24x20),10mm thick diamond polshed starfire glass.
    • I have one Vortech MP10 for flow
    • The lights are EcoTech Radion Gen 5 XR15 PRO
    • The Stand is the upgraded wood stand from SCA for this aquarium
1618759146173.png

• The scape was made using CaribSea South Seas Base Rock and I used CaribSea Ocean Direct Live Sand for the substrate. Now that I've seen videos of people making marco rock scapes, this is the one part about my tank I wish I could change but that sounds like a project for another time.
IMG_1458.jpg

• The Sump is SCA's 3 chamber glass sump that came with the tank (19-3/4" Wx16-1/2" Lx13"H)
    • I use a filter sock clip and sock in the first chamber that I added and currently run carbon and phosguard in mesh bags inside the sock
    • I have mesh bags with Bio balls and ceramic rings below the filter sock
    • SCA's 301 65gal protein skimmer is in the front left chamber
    • The center is now a refugium with two types of chaeto and pom pom as well as miracle mud. I'm using a cheapo ACKE LED 12W grow light from amazon that actually works great at growing chaeto.
    • The heater is a 300W SeaELF heater from amazon
    • The return pump is SICCE Syncra Silent 3.5 upgraded from the Atman PH2500 that came with the tank.
    • XP Aqua Duetto Dual-Sensor Complete ATO
IMG_0319.jpg

Future plans and upgrades

As of right now I plan to add
  • One AI Nero 3 wavepump for added circulation in the tank. I'm crossing my fingers that eventually the nero will work on the Mobius app so I can synch my pumps.
  • ReefBrite XHO LED add on for my XR15 light. I hope this will be a more compact alternative to running T5s once my frags start growing in.
  • Looking for a cheap / reasonable media reactor so I can start running bio pellets
  • Hoping to upgrade to a doser when my tank's demand calls for it. Currently looking at Jebao DP4 doser.
Thanks for checking it out. I'm looking forward to upgrading, filling her up with more coral and showing it off here for you guys.

Here's a little side tank action (Sometimes this is my favorite view of the tank)
IMG_0307.jpg

I have the same tank. With the amount of flow you got. Does your substrate get blowed up all over the tank? I made a mistake putting fine sand in my tank that when I put my pumps up it gets blown. Also I see you have a wrasse. Does it burrow fine in that substrate? Thanks

Fiona22222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: current tank pic

Hey folks... I'm coming up on the one year mark for my 50 Gallon SCA reef tank so I thought I should start a build thread and share it with you all. I can definitely say that I only made it this far thanks to the help I received from Reef2Reef.
IMG_0310.jpg

I filled this tank up on May 13th 2020 after ordering the 50 gallon cube PNP system EcoTech Marine edition from SC Aquariums.

IMG_1469.jpg

• The tank is SCA's 50 gallon square tank (24x24x20),10mm thick diamond polshed starfire glass.
    • I have one Vortech MP10 for flow
    • The lights are EcoTech Radion Gen 5 XR15 PRO
    • The Stand is the upgraded wood stand from SCA for this aquarium
1618759146173.png

• The scape was made using CaribSea South Seas Base Rock and I used CaribSea Ocean Direct Live Sand for the substrate. Now that I've seen videos of people making marco rock scapes, this is the one part about my tank I wish I could change but that sounds like a project for another time.
IMG_1458.jpg

• The Sump is SCA's 3 chamber glass sump that came with the tank (19-3/4" Wx16-1/2" Lx13"H)
    • I use a filter sock clip and sock in the first chamber that I added and currently run carbon and phosguard in mesh bags inside the sock
    • I have mesh bags with Bio balls and ceramic rings below the filter sock
    • SCA's 301 65gal protein skimmer is in the front left chamber
    • The center is now a refugium with two types of chaeto and pom pom as well as miracle mud. I'm using a cheapo ACKE LED 12W grow light from amazon that actually works great at growing chaeto.
    • The heater is a 300W SeaELF heater from amazon
    • The return pump is SICCE Syncra Silent 3.5 upgraded from the Atman PH2500 that came with the tank.
    • XP Aqua Duetto Dual-Sensor Complete ATO
IMG_0319.jpg

Future plans and upgrades

As of right now I plan to add
  • One AI Nero 3 wavepump for added circulation in the tank. I'm crossing my fingers that eventually the nero will work on the Mobius app so I can synch my pumps.
  • ReefBrite XHO LED add on for my XR15 light. I hope this will be a more compact alternative to running T5s once my frags start growing in.
  • Looking for a cheap / reasonable media reactor so I can start running bio pellets
  • Hoping to upgrade to a doser when my tank's demand calls for it. Currently looking at Jebao DP4 doser.
Thanks for checking it out. I'm looking forward to upgrading, filling her up with more coral and showing it off here for you guys.

Here's a little side tank action (Sometimes this is my favorite view of the tank)
IMG_0307.jpg

Your current tank is AMAZING, I love all the corals and the clownfish look so vibrant. Its such an interesting rockscape as well!! This is totally reef tank GOALS!!

OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PizzaIan339 Thanks! That coral is a Montipora Setosa. I've had him for a few years but it's definitely a fast grower. Super hardy and tolerant of all sorts of conditions. This is one colony that's constantly being moved around my tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The_Skrimp

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steelstrong81

I have the same tank. With the amount of flow you got. Does your substrate get blowed up all over the tank?

It's not too bad. I have one spot on the right where the pumps cause a sand dune but it's manageable. I used the ocean direct substrate from Carib Sea so it's a mix of fine and heavy particles.

Also I see you have a wrasse. Does it burrow fine in that substrate? Thanks

The wrasse in the tank is a Melenurus Wrasse. He's done just fine with that substrate. He just needs an area with about two or three inches of sand to sleep at night.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back