OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks all! Been awhile since an update but the tank has just been idle, I still haven't done a water change, there has not been a big diatom bloom like I normally experience . Just a small one here and there on some sections of the rock... The water has remained fairly cloudy and it's pretty annoying to me, I don't remember any of my tanks being cloudy this long... It cleared up at one point then just went back so I have to assume it's algae bloom. I have only been running 3 of the 5 halides for 8 hours a day... Usually would only run halides for 6 hours a day but yet to put my t5 in place... I still have to stain the stand . Tomorrow my goal is to get my GFO reactor online. I would also like to get my calcium reactor and apex set-up but I need TOMS help for that .... Hmu Tom.... Lol... I'll have some updated pics as soon as the water clears up a bit... All fish are doing great! I did loose 1-2 small frags and had one colony go a little patchy on me ... But all is well... Thanks for everyone who has followed along!!

Hlmarlowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely awesome! Glad to see another Michigan reefer. The distressed wood and "old aircraft" style aluminum is fantastic.

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all ! Been a long time since I updated! Things went a little south on me a couple moths ago and I lost all my acros! I think the cycle on this large of a system took longer than I anticipated! All my lps and fish are doing great! I'm still due on my first water Change and I'm sorry for the lack of updates! I have an issue I need opinions on though. My fish room is directly beind my aquarium, and the tank is basically built Into that room. I really need to control humidity ! I have a boiler in my house as a heating system, no forced air so it is making it harder to install a whole house dehumidifier. My question is would it be Better to run a chiller and a dehumidifier on tank? Chiller would be upstairs in attic, and dehu in tank room. That would control water temp and humidity. Or? I could run a 24k btu minisplit ac system. That would control humidity and water temp thru cooling the air? I've seen some garages with ac built into the garage, and no chiller and they were fine in summer months. I'm leaning towards the ac unit over the chiller, what do u think?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my frag system in the garage with a Window unit AC in the wall.
The frag room is double insulated and in the summer the AC will pop on like twice a hour or so.
My water temp is 78.5 give and take through out the whole year.
The AC will take out about 2 gallons of moisture in a 24 hour day (do we less hour days, LOL)
For the winter I have a oil filled heating unit and I run a dehu in the winter only.
As we don't have much winters here in Houston I don't have to run it much.
My in tank heaters can keep up with it easily.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I wonder if you can run duct work on the wall to the right from the canopy to the outside and run a duct fan to suck the moisture out? The guy on MR with the 420 russ did that to control humidity and heat from the halides.

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I wonder if you can run duct work on the wall to the right from the canopy to the outside and run a duct fan to suck the moisture out? The guy on MR with the 420 russ did that to control humidity and heat from the halides.

Yes that was my origanal plan was to put a hole in ceiling and put a 800cfm fan hooked to a humidity controller I already have, that will never be able to cool the lights and water as much as I'll need to tho.... I think it will be right around 2500watts of lighting ... 8000 btu of heat

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you do figure out, as I have a 16'x12' fish room I built in the garage and it is being heated insulated all wall and ceiling. I'm going to run a de humidifier right now but want to do something like your describing for the long term.

chimmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: what overflows are you running?
Just standard? Looks like they might be a little loud (but the canopy helps I'm sure)

Kon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a crawl space? This might not work, but it would be nice to run a split duct. One to run the heat from halide to crawlspace to heat it up in the winter time. Close that off and vent it out the side during the summer time. Only problem might be too much humidity in crawlspace. Only a suggestion, I'm not expert.

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all ! Been a long time since I updated! Things went a little south on me a couple moths ago and I lost all my acros! I think the cycle on this large of a system took longer than I anticipated! All my lps and fish are doing great! I'm still due on my first water Change and I'm sorry for the lack of updates! I have an issue I need opinions on though. My fish room is directly beind my aquarium, and the tank is basically built Into that room. I really need to control humidity ! I have a boiler in my house as a heating system, no forced air so it is making it harder to install a whole house dehumidifier. My question is would it be Better to run a chiller and a dehumidifier on tank? Chiller would be upstairs in attic, and dehu in tank room. That would control water temp and humidity. Or? I could run a 24k btu minisplit ac system. That would control humidity and water temp thru cooling the air? I've seen some garages with ac built into the garage, and no chiller and they were fine in summer months. I'm leaning towards the ac unit over the chiller, what do u think?

If it's not to late I had an idea for this. What if you just run an exhaust fan from the room, but make up the air into the closet/room from the area underneath the floor below the tank? It's hard to tell from the pictures if that area is a place that would have a stable temperature like a basement or not. If it is then the incoming air will always be roughly the same temperature. Then add a dehumidifier to control the extra moisture. My sump room will be in my basement and that's basically my plan (vent to the outside, makeup air from the basement into the sump room). Use the vent rate to control the temperature and the local dehumidifier to control humidity. I'm in Michigan also by the way.

OP
OP
Acrononomus

Acrononomus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a big update to give with pleasant news but this big tank has just been idle with just fish and a few remaining favias that are slowly dieing off. I just haven't had the time to devote to this bad boy or the funds.... I am still trying to get equitment for better flow together before I start adding coral again...... I also probably need to do a water change because , well I haven't done one yet :( I also need to hook up my apex and calcium reactor as well as finish my t5 lighting in the canopy .... A huge project that has gone neglected and I feel ashamed ... The fish are doing great tho and I have really been wanting to add more lately!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back