My 60 Gallon Custom Cube Build

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, wire management for the most is complete. I tried to put thought into it as to be able to quickly remove wires that I need to perform maitnence on (like skimmer, powerheads, ect.).

I added a mini manifold for the ability to set up a reactor or whatever. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work but we will see.

9EF1D147-820B-4163-A415-F0980A8D37F8.jpeg

48B75FC9-CC97-47B8-B077-EA7934762C33.jpeg

268E3578-DF09-4E1B-803A-36D875EDA9C8.jpeg

B231B7C2-2FB4-44C3-8738-FF0A583DB6D0.jpeg

1605B57D-ECA4-4BEB-93A4-9B8BB9C43FA8.jpeg

Heavymman All looks fantastic good sir. Thank you for sharing the adventure. :)

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, long overdue but quick update... it’s been a busy couple of months.

Tank is running beautifully, two clowns are doing great and I’m already having coralline algae spawning. I’m still playing around getting used to the tank but very happy with the stability. I have my cleanup crew in quarantine anf they will come into the DT in about a month. I think I might do another round of fish before I start introducing Coral. Any recommendations of fish? I was thinking maybe 3-4 Chromis , firefish and wrasse.

Curing the dryrock has really proved to be ok, no nitrates and very low phosphates in the tank.

I will update soon with pictures. So far taking it slow has worked out real well for me.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you back. ;)

Post a current pic please.

Chromis are hit and miss. If you have a screen top (even with a canopy) firefish are cool.

+1 with all the above and the hit or miss. I recently donated several to one of my two LFS' and left the runt. The tank is much more peaceful now.

@Heavymman I really like that euro bracing on the tank and would also like to see some updated pics, please.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on a Midas Blenny? For the next addition ?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on a Midas Blenny? For the next addition ?

It is an incredible fish. Our African Midas Blenny is always front and center. Very active, although their lack of a swim bladder means they take a lot of short rests. Never goes after anyone, but he has occasionally “corralled” other fish to their spots.

The eel like movement is very appealing. He has a main hole in the rockwork, but also a couple of emergency resting and hiding holes he uses. His colors are beautiful and depending on his mood we see pinks, blues and purples often.

He eats well, all kinds of food, but I notice he tends to have an easier time with smaller bits.

AD9C7DAE-6007-49D4-85DD-938029339AE3.jpeg

08C1EFEF-8659-449B-875C-D79750B5DA4E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an incredible fish. Our African Midas Blenny is always front and center. Very active, although their lack of a swim bladder means they take a lot of short rests. Never goes after anyone, but he has occasionally “corralled” other fish to their spots.

The eel like movement is very appealing. He has a main hole in the rockwork, but also a couple of emergency resting and hiding holes he uses. His colors are beautiful and depending on his mood we see pinks, blues, purples often.

He eats well, all kinds of food, but I notice he tends to have an easier time with smaller bits.

AD9C7DAE-6007-49D4-85DD-938029339AE3.jpeg

08C1EFEF-8659-449B-875C-D79750B5DA4E.jpeg
That is a beautiful fish indeed. Thank you for the insight!

What’s the difference between the African/Indonesian type?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful fish indeed. Thank you for the insight!

What’s the difference between the African/Indonesian type?

When I researched, it seemed the African had a reputation for better colors. Since then I have seen several examples of both and honestly, I have not seen much difference. I can say for a fact our African has incredible, vivid colors that change often. Yesterday, for example, I was amazed he was almost entirely pink from the end of the head to the start of the tail. Other times, he is pure yellow.

There may be other differences I am not aware of.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I researched, it seemed the African had a reputation for better colors. Since then I have seen several examples of both and honestly, I have not seen much difference. I can say for a fact our African has incredible, vivid colors that change often. Yesterday, for example, I was amazed he was almost entirely pink from the end of the head to the start of the tail. Other times, he is pure yellow.

There may be other differences I am not aware of.
That’s really cool, I think my kids would really enjoy that.

I have a friend who has a ton of money, a cigar room in his basement where he keeps his FO tank. That’s when this fish took a hold of me, it was yellow but the way it swimmer took forefront to all the other fish he had in the tank.

I was pleased to know that it is pretty compatible with the direction I am going for the tank.

Thanks again for you opinion!

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really cool, I think my kids would really enjoy that.

I have a friend who has a ton of money, a cigar room in his basement where he keeps his FO tank. That’s when this fish took a hold of me, it was yellow but the way it swimmer took forefront to all the other fish he had in the tank.

I was pleased to know that it is pretty compatible with the direction I am going for the tank.

Thanks again for you opinion!

Glad to share. My kids absolutely LOVE the Midas Blenny. Gotta love those blue eyes too.
2F5916EF-8CD7-40F4-B49B-A742AD3AB572.jpeg

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still a little frightened jumping into coral... the question is can I get SPS through 76 days in my coral QT tank. Lighting is good but I am not running a skimmer.

I probally could get by with 50% water changes once a week, right?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 73 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 71 28.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 52 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 48 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

Back