My 60 Gallon Custom Cube Build

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome idea, thanks!

I tried making one this morning but my wife went out and I have the kids and it’s not working. My pants are falling down, I am tripping all over things, mis measuring, while the kids are not listening, I can’t work like this or I will lose it so I am quitting for today.

I actually have drawer slides downstairs I might be able to use. I will keep you updated, thanks again!

Glad I could help!

I would watch the kids but...

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome idea, thanks!

I tried making one this morning but my wife went out and I have the kids and it’s not working. My pants are falling down, I am tripping all over things, mis measuring, while the kids are not listening, I can’t work like this or I will lose it so I am quitting for today.

I actually have drawer slides downstairs I might be able to use. I will keep you updated, thanks again!

Yeah I’m the same, slow is gold when it’s finicky stuff [emoji1308] keep us posted

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, wire management for the most is complete. I tried to put thought into it as to be able to quickly remove wires that I need to perform maitnence on (like skimmer, powerheads, ect.).

I added a mini manifold for the ability to set up a reactor or whatever. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work but we will see.

9EF1D147-820B-4163-A415-F0980A8D37F8.jpeg

48B75FC9-CC97-47B8-B077-EA7934762C33.jpeg

268E3578-DF09-4E1B-803A-36D875EDA9C8.jpeg

B231B7C2-2FB4-44C3-8738-FF0A583DB6D0.jpeg

1605B57D-ECA4-4BEB-93A4-9B8BB9C43FA8.jpeg

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so everything is pretty much setup except the canopy I still have to make.

I am pretty impressed with the PMUP pump as I ran it about 40 feet away and it is the basement. It pumps no problem for auto top off.

Coral QT is recycling now because I overdosed ammonia in it. By that time, two clowns should be out of QT.

Dry rock is still reading .08-.12 in phosphates so I probally have another 3-4 weeks of curing.

It’s a slow process but wanted to update.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so everything is pretty much setup except the canopy I still have to make.

I am pretty impressed with the PMUP pump as I ran it about 40 feet away and it is the basement. It pumps no problem for auto top off.

Coral QT is recycling now because I overdosed ammonia in it. By that time, two clowns should be out of QT.

Dry rock is still reading .08-.12 in phosphates so I probally have another 3-4 weeks of curing.

It’s a slow process but wanted to update.

Great update. Nice work by the way:)

Slow is better than slamming it together and having to redo it:rolleyes::D

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update. Nice work by the way:)

Slow is better than slamming it together and having to redo it:rolleyes::D
Thank you! And I agree, I think with reef keeping the more planning and thinking things out saves you the grief when you have a lot invested into it.... also, when you can minamize the time in maintenance I believe that helps big time with the longevity of keeping up with it.... I know myself too well lol

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decision made, and Tropic Eden Reef flakes arrived.... 2” sandbed with this substrate....

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, no major updates.

Quick question, anybody have any recommendations for a protein skimmer on my 13 gallon coral QT?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef octopus ns-80 if you don't mind one in the tank.

I used one on a 10 gallon QT and it worked really well. I was kinda surprised.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef octopus ns-80 if you don't mind one in the tank.

I used one on a 10 gallon QT and it worked really well. I was kinda surprised.
I don’t mind considering my options are limited. Thanks for the advice, I feel like I started the thread too early because I’m still behind.... my dry rock has been in circulating heated salt water for 5 weeks and I’m still reading .08-.12 PO4.... I think I have another few weeks before I can even start cycling the main display.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't worry about it. In a year you will be wishing you had some phophates.

I bleach it, rinse the heck out of it and soak it for a week in dechlorinated water.

I rarely ever test for phosphates. The uglies subside and it's smooth sailing after that as far as algae outbreaks. At least it has been for me in the past.

Just my .04 (inflation) ;)

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't worry about it. In a year you will be wishing you had some phophates.

I bleach it, rinse the heck out of it and soak it for a week in dechlorinated water.

I rarely ever test for phosphates. The uglies subside and it's smooth sailing after that as far as algae outbreaks. At least it has been for me in the past.

Just my .04 (inflation) ;)
I’m thinking too much into it, I know but I can’t help read the horror stories lol.... plus I’m going to have a hard time selling everything to my wife if I have GHA for a year lol.... I guess the fun and hard thing about the hobby is , too little/too much of anything is a bad thing....

I’ll give it another couple of weeks (honestly it’s good timing since it’s my busy season at work and I haven’t had a minute). That being said, next water change I will finalize the scape and plan to get this tank going!!!

Looking forward to your tanks updates as well!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking too much into it, I know but I can’t help read the horror stories lol.... plus I’m going to have a hard time selling everything to my wife if I have GHA for a year lol.... I guess the fun and hard thing about the hobby is , too little/too much of anything is a bad thing....

I’ll give it another couple of weeks (honestly it’s good timing since it’s my busy season at work and I haven’t had a minute). That being said, next water change I will finalize the scape and plan to get this tank going!!!

Looking forward to your tanks updates as well!

Soon, I hope. We are getting the ceiling done this weekend and then no more work on the living room. We were going to just paint it and leave it but, we just can't live with ourselves if we do that.

:)

Thanks for following my build.

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’ve been crazy with work and personal life but I fortunately utilized this mini break to get the tank started.

Canopy was made(sorry to disappoint I just made it to be able to pull off and no fancy slides). Currently priming and painting it to match the stand.

Rockscape and sand added to the main tank, currently filling it up now.

Pictures to follow!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back