My 70 Gallon complete with Water, Coral and Fish!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic's or it didn't happen:tongue:

It happened!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1338335645.160705.jpg

So I guess I have to spill cause I need a little advice...

This tank will be 95% acans (go figure) and set up like a frag tank to get the most out of the space. Once I build the collection back up and have some decent sizes colonies to frag I'm going to do a little T5 vs LED comparison of my own!

I still don't plan on adding any acans for a couple weeks to ensure whatever wiped out what I had is gone.

I'm thinking I'll run 3 X ATI Blue Plus and 1 X ATI Aquablue Special in the fixture. What do you guys suggest for acans and (very few) favias and chalices?

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the skimmer? I still haven't settled on a permanent one for my new setup.

I love it. Ran a 120 previously but needed to go bigger. For the price I'm not sure you can beat it.

This is about 5 days worth I just shot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338344437.163328.jpg

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is the new aquatic life fixture going onto? I would go with 2x ATI blue plus, 1x ATI purple plus, 1x ATI Fiji pink bulb see if that doesn't bring out every color. If your going to eventually compare LED and T5 I would like to see more spectrum being used on the T5, maximizing its ability. Just my little suggestion

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer looks good. My friend has a 160 and loves it. I hear from others that it's picky about water level. Have you experienced anything like that?

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is the new aquatic life fixture going onto? I would go with 2x ATI blue plus, 1x ATI purple plus, 1x ATI Fiji pink bulb see if that doesn't bring out every color. If your going to eventually compare LED and T5 I would like to see more spectrum being used on the T5, maximizing its ability. Just my little suggestion

The fixture will be going on a 24" x 16" x 14" tank. Thanks for the bulb suggestions, I may purchase a couple extras just to test them out and find the coloration I'm looking for.

Skimmer looks good. My friend has a 160 and loves it. I hear from others that it's picky about water level. Have you experienced anything like that?

My water level stays consistent due to the baffling in my sump so I can't really comment on how a fluctuating water level would affect output. I have it in about 6" or so of water at this point and it hasn't need any adjustment so far from where I originally set it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Walking dendros are cool!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I picked up a utility cabinet from Home Depot tonight to use as a stand for the acan tank. I'm quite surprised, it actually looks pretty decent for $99.

Got new T5's, a pump and all my plumbing parts from Marine Depot today. Looking forward to picking the tank up in the morning and getting it all running tomorrow!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha, believe it or not even if you don't get many comments there are still tons of people who look at your posts. I'm thinking maybe the Forum guides can lend a hand in this area and try to make a point to post in members tank threads. Once the conversation gets a rollin.....

I'm actually glad right now nobody comments in my tank thread.... It turned into a septic tank..... HA and Cyano everywhere....

fishguy95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll comment! It looks like you have a pretty good skimmer. I would like to see your frag tank. Will it be plumbed into your main system? I think I am becoming a fan of acans myself too. Mostly because the one that I have has grown 8 teenager and baby heads in just over two months. I like to get stuff that will grow well in my system.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the new tank it plumbed into the main system.

Here's a quick shot. For the time being only one of those pieces is an acan. Time to start building up the collection again.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338769627.161691.jpg

Wow, sorry that pics so bad guys! I'll have to use a higher quality in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a couple PAR reading with the Seneye on the acan tank tonight.

These were taken from the bottom of the tank directly in the center.

2 x ATI Blue Plus
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1339119047.185375.jpg

3 x ATI Blue Plus & 1 x ATI Aquablue Special
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1339119133.099150.jpg

1 x ATI Blue Plus & 1 x ATI Aquablue Special
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1339119172.419227.jpg

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone like echinatas?

The one on the left has a sweet green mouth.

Taken under 1 x ATI Blue Plus + 1 Aquablue Special

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339201266.287830.jpg

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them, but they don't love company....

No, no they don't. The orange one on the right used to be the brownest ugliest piece in my tank and it's starting to make a nice comeback. The two on the left have pretty large, agressive feeders but the orange one on the right not so much. I think eventually these will end up in the sand of the main tank away from everything. Currently they're occupying their own rack.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back