OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very pleasing to hear him describe the fish, algae, the fact that corals are animals and not plants, how it's important to not overfeed... He wants to be a part of everything! Smart kid! And you know he is the boss of naming the fish!
:D Who is going to have more fun?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fixture is supposed to be delivered today. Already have the bulbs. I went with all ATI 2x blue plus, 2x coral plus, 1x purple plus, and 1x actinic. I want a more daylight look mixed with some pop the blue should deliver. I have a 72 gallon rebuild thread here
http://reef2reef.com/threads/my-2nd-first-try-72-gallon-bowfront-re-build.230852/page-2#post-2786281
I should finish up the plumbing, reseal the tank, paint the back glass, and do my aquascaping this weekend. That;s not too much for a weekend considering I work 4 hours on Saturday is it???

Then I will start a tank progrees thread and then our LED/T5 comparison thread.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fixture is supposed to be delivered today. Already have the bulbs. I went with all ATI 2x blue plus, 2x coral plus, 1x purple plus, and 1x actinic. I want a more daylight look mixed with some pop the blue should deliver. I have a 72 gallon rebuild thread here
http://reef2reef.com/threads/my-2nd-first-try-72-gallon-bowfront-re-build.230852/page-2#post-2786281
I should finish up the plumbing, reseal the tank, paint the back glass, and do my aquascaping this weekend. That;s not too much for a weekend considering I work 4 hours on Saturday is it???

Then I will start a tank progress thread and then our LED/T5 comparison thread.

To bad you are not close, I would have built you a stand. I like the bowl front tanks I was tired the rectangle tanks and wanted something different. It drives my wife crazy, she has poor eye sight and looking at the bowl front messes with her eyes. The good thing is I can get away with adding stuff;) I have got my pictures from day one, and I will put in a reminder to take pictures in a month. I think it would be a good tread for the reason no one has done it and worked together to do it. My last setup I had t8's or t 12's with two blue, two white. I had them on timers so the the blue was on 10 hours, and the white on 8 hours. It worked pretty good. I had two fans to cool the bulbs so that they would last longer. That is one of the reason I went LED, to give you an idea how long ago that was metal halide lights were the new and big thing to have.
My next steps are going to be, build a sump and take off the HOB filter and I am going to put a cube in my wife's office.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bowfront take from a local guy who was almost ready to throw it away. I'm sure I've put more money into it than I would of if I'd bought new, but I am proud of it and all the work it took to get here. Plus, I know it was has been done right (or the best I can).

I agree about our soon to be lighting thread. We will be working together whereas most hobbyist tend to be competitive despite our friendly nature. I'm so excited to go home and unbox my new fixtue (it just got here 2 hours ago!)

Talk to you soon, and have a great evening.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bowfront take from a local guy who was almost ready to throw it away. I'm sure I've put more money into it than I would of if I'd bought new, but I am proud of it and all the work it took to get here. Plus, I know it was has been done right (or the best I can).

I agree about our soon to be lighting thread. We will be working together whereas most hobbyist tend to be competitive despite our friendly nature. I'm so excited to go home and unbox my new fixtue (it just got here 2 hours ago!)

Talk to you soon, and have a great evening.
You too.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh Lakeland area? I moved from West Palm Beach 8 years ago.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh Lakeland area? I moved from West Palm Beach 8 years ago.
actually "The Happiest place on earth" Orlando, it tourist season and you are so lucky. Traffic is not moving right now.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it been two week and two day since I switch out my lights. What a difference. The brownish corals are coming back to life with color. I have a rainbow monti that was doing ok, but wow what a difference in color. I am having my old green hair algae issues since switching my control products for No3 & Po4. I started having a real issue back in June when I made my own blend of frozen food. I bought a small am of @ReefFrenzy to see if this changes my Po4 and my No3's to the better side.

Here are some current tank shots

I also made some bottle caddies for the door, this open up a lot of room on my bottom slide out shelf
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3173.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG
IMG_3189.JPG
IMG_3190.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think while I have a cold beverage this afternoon, I will turn off the pumps and work on my photography skills and get some clearer pictures :rolleyes:

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUGE difference compared to the old Orbits! I wanna see some DSLR photos, and I need to learn how to take better ones w/ my DSLR.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday Pictures of the tank. My rainbow monti is really coloring up with the new lights
IMG_3229.JPG

this one was all brown under the frag plug and has also really colored up
IMG_3193.JPG

the blue stag is coming back to light, the birds nest here has always done well but even looks better now
IMG_3203.JPG

This is Matt, Mr I want my picture taken.
IMG_3205.JPG

Couple of top down shots
IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the name of the green encrusting one w/ the pink polyps?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the jsker sump 3/29. Build time was about 12 hours. I had other things Do yesterday but I was having so much fun building the sump and just not working on work. I said what the heck I am going to finish the sump. I still have to make a couple of tweaks and thanks to @john.m.cole3, and Chris over at saltysupply.com I think the sump will work out well. I have not ever had a sump, and I have the saltwater reefing for a bunch of years on and off. I have always been fearful of over flow with a sump and this is the main reason that I have not used a sump setup. I am going to make a Brazilian Cheery stand to keep the sump off the hardwood flour, the stands wood will match the flour.

I made an adjustable dam to adjust the water level
IMG_20160329_143923.jpg

Tried using the CNC to cut the holes but the bit ran to fast so I have to use a hole saw. I am going to have to make my own special size socks.
IMG_20160329_143927.jpg

Top view down
IMG_20160329_160911.jpg

I make a piece to disperse the water in the socks
IMG_20160329_170916.jpg

and the finished views
IMG_20160329_172234.jpg

IMG_20160329_172242.jpg

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to blow torch the edges to clear them, some of my glue edges need work but its for me. I will water test the sump today also while really work.

Last edited:
Back