My 72 Bowfront Build Revised Thread

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEAUTIFUL sump!

It looks immaculate. How much did you spend on materials?
My 2 favorite things about sumps is that you increase overall flow in the tank and are able to hide all the stuff that makes your reef run. I'm looking forward to seeing it wet!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes nice job!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEAUTIFUL sump!

It looks immaculate. How much did you spend on materials?
My 2 favorite things about sumps is that you increase overall flow in the tank and are able to hide all the stuff that makes your reef run. I'm looking forward to seeing it wet!
$140 with tax. The sump is a whole new world. I did not have a chance to water test today, I was a little busy. Thank you for the complement. I am thinking add two bulkheads two the side. One for emergency overflow relief and one low, so that I can drain and clean the sump.

Last edited:

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bought mine yet, but from what I understand, it turns off automatically when 4 gallons is drained out. This would be perfect for our tank size. I like to do 10% every week, and all it would require is 2 bucket fill ups and your sump will stay spotless year round. I'll be picking up one in the near future. We are going to Carlsbad and Roswell, NM this weekend so I'm gonna have to take a break from reefing.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bought mine yet, but from what I understand, it turns off automatically when 4 gallons is drained out. This would be perfect for our tank size. I like to do 10% every week, and all it would require is 2 bucket fill ups and your sump will stay spotless year round. I'll be picking up one in the near future. We are going to Carlsbad and Roswell, NM this weekend so I'm gonna have to take a break from reefing.
You lost me, are you referring to the wet dry vac?
Have a good time! bring some paper plates, and a camera with you so that you can take some blurry UFO pictures in Roswell:D

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep the wet/dry vac that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. I linked it in my comment.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep the wet/dry vac that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. I linked it in my comment.
The light just went on. I am dropping in the bulkhead in the bottom for cleaning and water changes. Now I just need to figure were to pipe it outside.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump install Thursday
DIY Sump
Waveline DC2500H Apex ready pump
Riss R5-i Protein Skimmer with a DC2500H pump.
CPR CS-90 overflow
Sump watered test for 36 hours after fulling in a couple of leeks. I should have torched the edges instead of just sanding
Teak stand so the sump is not sitting directly on the floor.

Master plan is to drill a 1.5 inch hole in the wall so that I have a drain outline. I am going to install a bulkhead in the bottom of the sump so that I can drain water to water changes and for maintenance. This is my first time sump experience, I have always had the fear of the sump overflowing and draining the tank. My insurance is in the same line that is for my drain I am going to install a bulk head so if the water gets to high, the water has a drain and I do not have an angry wife.

I will post a video when I finished. I saw a great video from @Sabellafella tank today and this will be my inspiration. Also @john.m.cole3 and I should have our T5/LED comparison up by this weekend. The comparison is just that, a comparison and not a heated debate with haters.

Later, it Taco Tuesday baby (carnitas (hardwood smoked pork) fried corn tortillas wrapped with a flour tortillas with melted cheese and stuffed with wild rice, black beans, spinach, avocado, and chopped tomatoes) I will put pictures of the taco too:)

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your taco Tuesday trumps ours by far. And I live in TX what the heck. I got distracted from taking pictures today because of infected fish and I'm sure you understand. I took the day off to deal with the matter.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your taco Tuesday trumps ours by far. And I live in TX what the heck. I got distracted from taking pictures today because of infected fish and I'm sure you understand. I took the day off to deal with the matter.

I did not take pictures either:D I have a buddy of mine that is from El Paso and I use his bean recipe. Here is the dinner video and video post experiment

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DIY sump is plumbed. And I am going live tomorrow.

Now that is a drill
IMG_3230.JPG

Here is the pumped in sump with drainage to the outside world so make maintenance and water easier
IMG_3231.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is engineering, Made the acrylic piece and used a 3/4 bulkhead. Tapped the .25 inch acrylic for a 5/16 18 thread and anchored the out feed support to were I had all the dosing holder attached. No leaks so far. One screw up though, I made a grate for my media to sit in and it should have been 3 inches wide and I made it 3.5 inches wide. I have to run down the the office tomorrow and and I will cut it to size. I really did a nice job on the drilling too and blow torched all the edges. I guess tomorrow I will through in some GFO and carbon to clean the water up nice. Sunday will be the Apex relocation day, made my board and edges the ply with Puduka
IMG_3235.JPG

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to fine tune everything.

Need to get the air out of the over flow line, or is that normal? I shut the down valve but then I lose flow

Protein skimmer is also a new world with the new model but I think I will figure it out in time

I have to work today, and will work on fine tuning tomorrow and also transferring the apex from the credenza to the New Aquatic Pump Room/Office Closet.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no bubbles should be in the overflow line. Try to take a piece of air tubing and running it up in there to suck out any air you see. If that doesn't work, stop the return pump and start over.

Give the skimmer a day to break in. Open up the gate all the way, unscrew ther air restrictor screw all the way, and crank up the motor if it's a DC. After a day fine tuning is in order. Take off the collection cup and have the bubbles come up to the top of the neck without overflowing. Replace collection cup and leave it alone for a day or 2. Based on the color of your skimmate, we can adjust from there.

Sump life is chaotic at first, but once you get it all figured out, you'll never run another tank w/o one!

Do you have an ATO?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the pointers, yes I have an ATO. Once I get the over flow adjusted, boy what a difference in noise (much quieter) What time is good for you to post tomorrow? I will start the post then.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back