My 72 Bowfront Build Revised Thread

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that with new syringes you get consistent readings. Without changing them, my last 4 alk tests have been 7.28 - 7.78 - 7.11 - 7.11

The 7.78 was after dosing to raise it

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that with new syringes you get consistent readings. Without changing them, my last 4 alk tests have been 7.28 - 7.78 - 7.11 - 7.11

The 7.78 was after dosing to raise it

$12 a box of 100 link use one time and toss or recycle. Me being a numbers person:rolleyes::eek::D, this is were my debate comes in with a pipette and tips, and not the bulb/pinch type. I purchased a 1000 200ul tips for $12 and can toss then, or recycle them. I can use the tips with the Hanna pipette that come with the Ca test kit.

My thinking is the test sample is so slight with the Ca test, the residue in the tips from test to test will through off the number plus the dried reagent in the reagent tip, just give inconsistent results. I can also use the 100ul pipette with the 200ul tips for my salinity test also.

Now the big question is do I spend $55 for a 100 to 1000ul pipette and $10 for the tips for 500? Then also get a 1 to 10ml with tips for additional expense and easy testing? It seams the bigger tip is were things start getting pricy for the tips.

This being said, my feeling this where testing errors go away with clean tips and measured samples.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeling is that you can't really be certain that this is causing any fluctuations in readings if you are not testing the exact same sample. Testing daily or even hourly will give you different readings if the sample changes. To actually be certain that there is any residue causing different readings, you would have to test the exact same sample with the same tip and different tips to get a full true readings.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeling is that you can't really be certain that this is causing any fluctuations in readings if you are not testing the exact same sample. Testing daily or even hourly will give you different readings if the sample changes. To actually be certain that there is any residue causing different readings, you would have to test the exact same sample with the same tip and different tips to get a full true readings.

Very true.

To actually be certain that there is any residue causing different readings,

This is one of the things that I saw Hanna mention is a video about not having any regent in tip from previous tests, could cause inaccurate readings.

When I test with the Ca in the past my reading where testing high and low in the same test sample. When I would retest the Ca reading would be lower. Deduction, tip was rinsed.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the ca test I could see that. That test is so precise that residue could cause fluctuations. :)

I had the same happening with the Alk test with leftover reagent in the tip. I would get readings all over the place on the first test. I tossed the tip and use syringes and toss them after each use.

It might take my a year to use up the current syringes and blub pipettes before I would order a pipette and 1000ul tips.

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little history: I have had a few fresh water tanks and have had 3 salt water setups to date. Is a move tank, considering a setup? The tanks were in different cities 35 gal and a 150 in St. Louis. I had my moving tank, a 75 oceanic. That tank was in Chicago, New York, Boston, Florida. I would get transferred and depending on the situation of finding housing and move time, (load and unload) I would pack my live rock and the hearty live stock(fish) in a cooler and move. It got to the point that I would have the rock and fish in a cooler for a month at a time in a hotel room with a power head and everything survived, even with my cat Samantha in the room

Well I sold the 75 mover about 13 years ago because I had a few things going on and lost interest. Last year in 2014 the bug bit again, but I was going to do this one right. With all the new technology and blogs, it is so much simpler then the stone age of running down to the LFS and asking or heading to library. Yes, this time around is still a discovery process with buying things on the cheap when I should have paid more and got what I wanted and not what I needed. Notice the want and need thing, I am trying to control the want issue.

I started to build my tank stand during Christmas and new years of 2014. The stand, drawers are out of solid Honduran mahogany, fiddle back maple as well as the sides and face work. The case work is Burch ply. I used 7 nails in the hole project very little glue and a lot of screws. The drawers are dovetailed and drawer fronts are mortice & tendon to match my desk in my home office (my me room) the finish is a FDA approved oil varnish. All door and drawers have Blum soft close. All the drawers are functioning file drawers and drawer. The center of the cabinet meant for storage and now electronics, I did not know I could get all of these neat new toys that I can pull up on my network when I built the cabinet. Here is the pictures of the build and design
upload_2015-10-8_17-20-34.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-20-45.png

upload_2015-10-8_17-21-12.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-21-27.png

upload_2015-10-8_17-21-43.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-21-57.png

Charlie is checking out the cabinet

Called a guy I did a job for and asked if they could make an Absolute black (I wanted black galaxy but you take what you can get when a deal is involved) I catered his wedding and I will leave it at that.) granite top made to match the bowl front of the new 72 tank.
upload_2015-10-8_17-22-29.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-22-44.png

Charlie really like the cabinet The Other Cat just likes to relax and watch

2/2/15 above the tank has water in it, and the next picture is 2/22/15 scaped also added Lucy and Ricky.
upload_2015-10-8_17-24-0.png

March I added Yellow Polyps and the Shrooms

The Polyps did not last but thanks to the guys I bought the Polyps from I now have aiptasia

March 2015 added Tyrone (Kole tang and Ethel hippo tang) to the tank, I bought the fish from the same guy I bought the polyps and shrooms from and could not be happier with the quality of fish.
upload_2015-10-8_17-24-53.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-25-11.png

Not much going on in April except for the really cool thig above the mushrooms (oh yeah that is the aiptasia) but is was cool when I did not know what it was.

April 2015
upload_2015-10-8_17-26-21.png

Went to Reef a Plooza Orlando, had a great time. Met some really nice venders, it was like they want me to buy more stuff. I did buy a couple of corals and placed them in the tank. Then I discovered the online auction of corals (I am hooked)

May 2015
upload_2015-10-8_17-27-2.png

June 2015 is a blank but this was a really good baked pasta we had for dinner. Italian sausage, Meatball, Ghoncci, and cavitalli with a red sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. Added peppermint shrimp to try to kill the aiptasia, but that did not work. Used Aiptasia X and that only made grown more.
upload_2015-10-8_17-27-45.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-27-57.png

July 2015 not much progress but things are growing. Brought in the enforcer to kill off the aiptasia. Matt (aka matted file fish aka aiptasia killer) Matt is a machine. Within three weeks no noticeable aiptasia and you almost hope they grown so that Matt has something to eat besides Mysis and the homemade food. Matt is a cool fish.
upload_2015-10-8_17-28-33.png

August 2015

Did I say Coral Auction? It is a really sick thing that happens to a hobbyist, I think it is time to create Coral spending support group were we can get together (oh that is this blog)
upload_2015-10-8_17-29-19.png

Photo shop of placement
upload_2015-10-8_17-29-47.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-29-58.png

8/19/15 dropped 3.5 lbs of dry reef rock in upfront to keep things for shifting around with the new
Mp40.
Under the hood 8/21/15 notice the Reef 2 Reef towel.
upload_2015-10-8_17-31-10.png
upload_2015-10-8_17-31-21.png

My setup

-72 bowl front marine land tank

-CPR Bio pak 2 (I like hang on the backs built my first one and had great success with it, and I have found after time all I need is a protein skimmer and water movement

-Current Orbit Marine LEDs very happy and no heat and no huge canopy with fans on all of the time, but I am think of upgrading to the Pro for the broader spectrum. I do not know yet for the reason I have not found any reviews on them yet.

2 Gyre 130’s. I really like these pumps aka power heads. Looking at getting the new ice cap controls

1 echo tech mp140 for movement in the center of the tank. I also really like this pump/power head

Reeflink control for the Echo Tech mp40 works well, read the reviews and most paned it but if you take your time and follow the instructions no issue.

90 lbs of live reef rock most real reef rock and some real stuff. Back in the day you could get some tanga rock and that would spark up you corline in a month but a group out there messed that up.

2 bags live Hawaiian sand

Make my own food and buy Mysis shrimp from the great white north for feeding

Future:

Apex system for monitoring my system from a far.

Red type corals (at another coral auction) maybe red fan coral.

upload_2015-10-8_17-25-33.png
Hey jsker,
Your cabinet looks Top Notch !! Aquarium looks Top Notch too!! Ain't too sure on your Tucker though!!:D;Wacky:)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jsker,
Your cabinet looks Top Notch !! Aquarium looks Top Notch too!! Ain't too sure on your Tucker though!!:D;Wacky:)

Tucker, help me with this term please:)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterdays numbers
Ca 415
Mg 1500 aquaforest 1480 salifert, I need to lay off trash salifert test kit:oops:
Alk 7.8 dosed 5 gram of KH buffer
Phosphates .05
Nitrates 5ppm
Salinity 33
NSW 31

Cleaned the gyres, rebuild the Toms aqualifer, clean the glass up nicely. Pick up a WWC Christmas Maribel yesterday during the live sale. I am very excited to have this one. I took the two dead birdsnest out and I am going to replace one with the Maribel. Still looking for a Pink/red or the the one I lost.

IMG_5432.JPG

Today task, get out the tripod and take some real pictures

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterdays numbers
Ca 415
Mg 1500 aquaforest 1480 salifert, I need to lay off trash salifert test kit:oops:
Alk 7.8 dosed 5 gram of KH buffer
Phosphates .05
Nitrates 5ppm
Salinity 33
NSW 31

Cleaned the gyres, rebuild the Toms aqualifer, clean the glass up nicely. Pick up a WWC Christmas Maribel yesterday during the live sale. I am very excited to have this one. I took the two dead birdsnest out and I am going to replace one with the Maribel. Still looking for a Pink/red or the the one I lost.

IMG_5432.JPG

Today task, get out the tripod and take some real pictures
Looking Top Notch;)= meaning excellence, Top Grade. jsker:)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back