My 85 gal reef tank.

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began this project about two months ago. I decided to convert my 85 gallon freshwater African Cichlid tank over to saltwater. However, I didn't have a sump and no tank larger than a 10 gallon would fit in my stand due to a brace that goes down the center of it.

So, I rigged up two 10 gallon tanks to siphon into each other with 3, 3/4" PVC pipes, cut some acrylic sheets, siliconed them into the tanks, rigged up my piping from the return pump, and got it started on its cycle about 4 weeks ago.

I still would like to paint the PVC pipes with aquarium safe plastic paint, but for now, plain white PVC will have to do.

The below pics were taken with my iPhone and didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped. I'll get some better ones with my DSLR camera when I can.
016.JPG
017.JPG
022.JPG

Here's the tank during cycle:
015.JPG

Here is the left side 10 gallon sump, where the drain, refugium, light, heater, and home made skimmer are located. (Home made skimmer build was modified from The King of DIY project on YouTube):

018.JPG
021.JPG

Here is the right side 10 gallon sump where the Seachem Matrix is, followed by the activated carbon, followed by an empty chamber that I'm considered making a secondary refugium, followed by the return.

The return pump also returns water over a custom made wet/dry filter with more Seachem Matrix and bioballs.

The sound of the water dripping back into the sump from the wet/dry was more than my family could handle (it was like a waterfall in the house), so I rigged up a piece of acrylic that wedges against a piece of mechanical filter. This is just temporary to muffle the sound of the water dripping back into the sump.

019.JPG
020.JPG

And on Friday, March 31st, my tank finally finished its cycle. Woo!!

I waited two more days just to be sure the cycle was done (yesterday) and added in 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 5 Hermit Crabs, 1 Clown Fish, 1 Yellow Tang, 2 Blue Damselfish, and 1 zoanthus coral frag. As well as a mixed bag of macroalgae for the sump, which I forgot to take a picture of.

008.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.6%
Back