My 90 Gallon ¾ Cylinder Reef

ChicagoReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Aquavim Tank – ¾ Cylinder Reef that was moved twice due to remodeling and has been going for 11 years. I do weekly maintenance to remove excess coral. When I rebuild, I certainly will do less soft corals. The hardest coral (literally) to remove was a free hydnophora that was on live rock. It started at under 1” in diameter and now is the dominant coral in the back of the tank. I regularly cut back branches that are about 1” thick. Do Cylinder tanks reflect light more than cubes? Switched to full Aquaforest method about 6 months ago. PH is up and growth is crazy. Running full Apex with Trident, Radion G4 Pro, Reef Octopus Regal 150SSS skimmer, Gyre wave makers, and the new Trigger 26 Platinum Sump (LOVE the new sump and getting rid of my filter sock). Adding Nitraphos Minus in the doser next week. Also had to replace the chiller connections this week if you notice it is disconnected at the bottom. Just getting used to the Trident, but John from Apex was great in helping me understand how to enable dosing. Overall, had good health with reduced maintenance. Switched to annual 15% water changes 2 years ago. I have to do a little more work stirring up the gravel, but Nitrates generally under .5 and phosphates under .05. Will work to reduce further once I setup Nitraphos Minus. Crazy I fit almost everything under the tank as I have limited space below the tank. I know people have mixed emotions on Aquavim - my experience was flawless. I did have a minor drip on the return, that was fixed on install.
1587576653732.png
1587576653732.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

love the tank. It really is packed full. Great job keeping it going, cylinders are hard to keep clean in my experience. Thanks for sharing

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back