My 90 gallon build

andrewrob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the tank up and running fir 3 months with to clowns in it eveuthing is going great the tank has old lights and I’m wanting to change to led light but I want to be able to grow corals with no problem what would be the best light to use and not be so expensive

2D088DEB-D164-4489-BD77-C601D2857389.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome

OP
OP
A

andrewrob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Tank looks good so far.

what’s your budget for a light? And want kind of corals do you plan on keeping?
I’m not sure about corals as far as what kind what kind do you recommend and about 200 to 300 if I can get a good one around that price and thanks my clowns seem to be doing great I’m going to add more fish this week

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the AI Prime 16s

They’re $209 but for your 90s you’ll need about 2

OP
OP
A

andrewrob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look into the AI Prime 16s

They’re $209 but for your 90s you’ll need about 2

Can this sit on top of glass lid or does it need to be hung up

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're on a budget and don't have a lot of experience with spectrums and lighting I would seriously consider going t5. Plug it in, set a timer, and forget about it. Easily one of the simplest options out there and is foolproof.

Once you're dealing with LEDs and schedules/spectrums you can really screw up your tank and bake corals, cause algae blooms, or just struggle to grow corals.

I'd recommend an aquaticlife hybrid. Set it up with just the t5. As budget allows you can always add the leds later.

OP
OP
A

andrewrob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're on a budget and don't have a lot of experience with spectrums and lighting I would seriously consider going t5. Plug it in, set a timer, and forget about it. Easily one of the simplest options out there and is foolproof.

Once you're dealing with LEDs and schedules/spectrums you can really screw up your tank and bake corals, cause algae blooms, or just struggle to grow corals.

I'd recommend an aquaticlife hybrid. Set it up with just the t5. As budget allows you can always add the leds later.
What kind of timer how often should they be on and off

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of timer how often should they be on and off
This looks like a very new tank. Have you already gone through different algae blooms? Any coralline? Looks like it's 100% dry rock too, did you seed with any liverock? Also you may have a sump I'm thinking so I'm not sure what you have down there or what your nutrients are like.

I ask because new dry rock is a sterile petry dish for plague algaes if given too much light and nutrients. For lighting I used simple wifi timers where I set the program through my phone. Start with only 5 or 6 hours a day and increase it as time goes on. If you start seeing too much algae, decrease your time. If it's only corallone you're doing good and work you way up to a longer photo period. Once the rock is covered in coralline and other microfuana it's much easier to keep nuisance algaes away. When coralline is spreading, your tank is stable and mature enough for sps.

I run an 8 hour timer on my 4 t5 bulbs and 12 hours on my leds that ramp up and down. Works well for me but every tank is different.

OP
OP
A

andrewrob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a very new tank. Have you already gone through different algae blooms? Any coralline? Looks like it's 100% dry rock too, did you seed with any liverock? Also you may have a sump I'm thinking so I'm not sure what you have down there or what your nutrients are like.

I ask because new dry rock is a sterile petry dish for plague algaes if given too much light and nutrients. For lighting I used simple wifi timers where I set the program through my phone. Start with only 5 or 6 hours a day and increase it as time goes on. If you start seeing too much algae, decrease your time. If it's only corallone you're doing good and work you way up to a longer photo period. Once the rock is covered in coralline and other microfuana it's much easier to keep nuisance algaes away. When coralline is spreading, your tank is stable and mature enough for sps.

I run an 8 hour timer on my 4 t5 bulbs and 12 hours on my leds that ramp up and down. Works well for me but every tank is different.
I have 2 bulbs that are t5 in one light and two t8 in the other light should I run the t5 a few hours and the t8 a few hours and it’s about 3 months old fish been in it since December I have one little spot of algae about an inch in a circle on the back glass but that’s it?

Back