Upgrading my biocube 32!

swalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, soon I will be purchasing a biocube 32, but after doing some research I have seen many reviews that say the standard lighting filtration and powerheads are sub par and should be upgraded, I'm just wondering what you all would suggest for me in upgrading the tank. Thanks in advance!

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 BioCube and it is good for the LPS and softies. I have in it. I added the coralife skimmer made for it and my parameters are stable now. The collection cup is small so I have to clean it every other day or so. The overflow compartment on the 32 is much larger so you have more options for skimmers. The center compartment has a clear glass back and is good for a refugium. You will need a light and a timer. There are also filter racks you can put in this compartment to add carbon and GFO in a bag.
I finally settled on 1.25 lbs per gallon of live rock and a 1.5" deep sand bed for bio filter. Prob should have a deeper sand bed.
The LED lighting is woefully inadequate for SPS coral. If you want to have a FOWLR or LPS dominat mixed reef they may be ok. Many people have removed the hood and run theirs as a rimless with something like a Kessel or AI Prime HD. Others have purchased strips of LED's and mounted them in the hood. I have thought about mounting an AI prime in my hood in place of the stock LED's. It would prob fit in the 32 better.
I currently use the stock return pump, it moves 190 gph, and have two circulating pumps controlled by a Hydor wave maker for circulation. I want to get a Sicce quiet drive 1.0 or 1.5 and put a tee in the return line so I can mount and operate a media reactor on the outside of the stand somewhere. There are places to run tubing out the back of the hood.
Just my $.02 worth.
I post a pic of the 16 but it is in disarray b/c I had to catch the fish and move them to qt to treat for ich and the tank must stay fallow for 78 days.
Fair Sky's and following seas!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct in lighting being totally inadequate in the BC32. Coralife's own specs say peak Par of about 80 I think it was with average Par around 60.

I added a Steve's LED fixture to the stock hood which will grow anything and everything. There are also a coupe of other options out there if you want to keep the hood on. If the hood isn't important then you can always pull it and run any light you choose.

Outside of lighting I have an Icecap K2-50 skimmer in chamber 2 with the InTank media rack. Chamber 3 has a Sicce 1.5 return pump with dosing tubes and probe holder.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 32

Removed hood and replaced with cut pieces of glass. I leave the back open.

SB reeflights 16" wifi for lights

Aquamaxx HOB1 protien skimmer

I use the middle compartment as a rufugium with cheato. I use a magnetic fuge light.

Still use the stock pump but i have 2 mp10s that i run at about 30% on long pulse mode in the tank.

Use a jaebo 4 head doser to dose kalkwasser and 2 part.

With this setup i can grow anything in the tank.

Good luck! Fun little tanks
20170428_192441.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 32

Removed hood and replaced with cut pieces of glass. I leave the back open.

SB reeflights 16" wifi for lights

Aquamaxx HOB1 protien skimmer

I use the middle compartment as a rufugium with cheato. I use a magnetic fuge light.

Still use the stock pump but i have 2 mp10s that i run at about 30% on long pulse mode in the tank.

Use a jaebo 4 head doser to dose kalkwasser and 2 part.

With this setup i can grow anything in the tank.

Good luck! Fun little tanks
20170428_192441.jpg

Great setup!

Hows the DP4 handle the Kalk? Ive been debating using mine for this as well.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also upgraded to a Sicce 1.5 and use a Korallia 425 powerhead placed about 4" under the outlet in such a way as to push water toward the filter intakes. Marine Pure balls and Purfiltrum topped by filter floss. Surprising to me, the cheap Coralife protein skimmer does a pretty good job and fits along with an Eheim heater in chamber 1.

pmichel77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct in lighting being totally inadequate in the BC32. Coralife's own specs say peak Par of about 80 I think it was with average Par around 60.

I added a Steve's LED fixture to the stock hood which will grow anything and everything. There are also a coupe of other options out there if you want to keep the hood on. If the hood isn't important then you can always pull it and run any light you choose.

Outside of lighting I have an Icecap K2-50 skimmer in chamber 2 with the InTank media rack. Chamber 3 has a Sicce 1.5 return pump with dosing tubes and probe holder.
Hello Scurvy,
Your post are extremely helpful/informative! Is the Sicce 1.5 a requirement based on your set-up? I just purchased the BioCube32 and got the Icecap K2-50 skimmer, Innovative Marine 939009 Auqa Gadget Minimax Desktop Media Reactor and a Sicce 1.0. Is this pump strong enough? My stuff hasn't even shipped yet. Also do you have a pic of your set-up? I will be getting the LED up-grades and IM Gadget Magnafuge also. All of this stuff I got based on recommendations here.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pmichel77

Sounds like you're well on your way to nice setup! Great choice on the skimmer, Im very happy I chose to ditch the Tunze. You will need to modify Chamber 2 a bit to make it fit. See this video here for a guide in case you havent seen it. Different skimmer but same process. I actually cut out a little more than they did.

The 1.5 ceratinly isnt a requirement but I wanted to make sure I had a lot of flow through my filter chambers and a little extra pep coming out of the return for surface aggitation. Once you have rock in the tank your total water volume will most likely be somewhere around 25 gallons so the Sicce 1.0 will give you about 10x turnover. I would say though that if you're looking at that size pump then going with the Cobalt MJ1200 might be a better choice for you. It's cheaper and will give you a modest bump in flow from the Sicce at 295gph. I had been using one myself for the first few months I had my BC running but wanted to use it on a reactor in my other display so I upgraded.

https://www.amazon.com/Cobalt-Aquatics-MJ1200-powerhead-pump/dp/B005QRHEJW

I'll snap some more recent pics when I get home later.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Scurvy,
Your post are extremely helpful/informative! Is the Sicce 1.5 a requirement based on your set-up? I just purchased the BioCube32 and got the Icecap K2-50 skimmer, Innovative Marine 939009 Auqa Gadget Minimax Desktop Media Reactor and a Sicce 1.0. Is this pump strong enough? My stuff hasn't even shipped yet. Also do you have a pic of your set-up? I will be getting the LED up-grades and IM Gadget Magnafuge also. All of this stuff I got based on recommendations here.

f3af5a23a1c24971c093fd9e0fcbb19b.jpg
898ebf48828a47d2b275a0362b5f9ffa.jpg
5997d40c7c61a062bbc8cf9037f2f275.jpg
d10c336be38bb4e8f23f72c1c0587577.jpg

pmichel77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks, so maybe I'll send the reactor back and just keep the skimmer - unless the reactor and heater can fit in the 1st chamber. Thanks for the info!! My stuff looks like it will arriving tomorrow. I think will send the Sicce 1.0 back and go with the 1.5

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks, so maybe I'll send the reactor back and just keep the skimmer - unless the reactor and heater can fit in the 1st chamber. Thanks for the info!! My stuff looks like it will arriving tomorrow. I think will send the Sicce 1.0 back and go with the 1.5

Im not familiar with that reactor but theres space next to the skimmer in chamber 2. I use an "In Tank" media tower but if you choose to go the reactor route it may fit.

pmichel77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your skimmer fit in a way that allows the lid to close completely?

pmichel77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scurvy, any good info on how to get the IceCap skimmer dialed-in? I just modified chamber 2 (took off the lip between chamber 1 & 2 and also the little lip between 2 & 3 with some of the side lip - can't reach my arms down to the bottom lip so hope what i did was enough). Mine will arrive Monday.

Also, what do you run in your media basket?

Thanks!
PM

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your funds allow it I would recommend the jbj all in one aquarium a lot nicer rimless look with adequate filtration to start and later upgrade more room for extras such as skimmers and better return pump also reactors. Just my thought.

pmichel77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your funds allow it I would recommend the jbj all in one aquarium a lot nicer rimless look with adequate filtration to start and later upgrade more room for extras such as skimmers and better return pump also reactors. Just my thought.
I went with the BioCube because of two cats, I need a top

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Can you please explain to you got the hood off the biocube 32? Ive seen info on the 29, but it looks different on the 32.

Thanks
Mike

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it thanks. Once you see where to pry the screwdriver, its easy.. thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back