Upgrading my biocube 32!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're correct in lighting being totally inadequate in the BC32. Coralife's own specs say peak Par of about 80 I think it was with average Par around 60.

I added a Steve's LED fixture to the stock hood which will grow anything and everything. There are also a coupe of other options out there if you want to keep the hood on. If the hood isn't important then you can always pull it and run any light you choose.

Outside of lighting I have an Icecap K2-50 skimmer in chamber 2 with the InTank media rack. Chamber 3 has a Sicce 1.5 return pump with dosing tubes and probe holder.
You think a 2.0 would work? I have been offered one for free.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think a 2.0 would work? I have been offered one for free.
You can certainly try it but it might be too much. I sometimes wonder if the 1.5 is too much. It winds up forcing a lot water through/around the In Tank rack creating a trickling water sound. I use the sound as my reminder to swap the filter pad. The louder it gets i know the pad is clogged and the racknis overflowing.

TheNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scurvy, any good info on how to get the IceCap skimmer dialed-in? I just modified chamber 2 (took off the lip between chamber 1 & 2 and also the little lip between 2 & 3 with some of the side lip - can't reach my arms down to the bottom lip so hope what i did was enough). Mine will arrive Monday.

Also, what do you run in your media basket?

Thanks!
PM
I run filter floss, purigen and chemi pure elite

Postullio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've upgraded to Steve's leds with the iridescent upgrade(which replaces some blues with violets) ... maxi jet 1200 return pump... replaced media basket with the intank media basket with filter floss and chemipure blue. Added coralife protein skimmer.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, soon I will be purchasing a biocube 32, but after doing some research I have seen many reviews that say the standard lighting filtration and powerheads are sub par and should be upgraded, I'm just wondering what you all would suggest for me in upgrading the tank. Thanks in advance!
you are right. I dont know about the 32G version, but I own a 29G version and I upgraded following things:
- Remove everything from backchamber and also got rid of the heat (allows easier light mounting and deal with heating issues)
- MP10
- Kessil A360
- Remove all the stock things from backchamber and add in tank media basket
- Aquatic Life 115 Skimmer (wont recommend anyone, go with Tunze doc 9002 or Aquamax hob)

you dont need everything in one go, you can get the light couple of months after tank is wet. Cycling does not require light, initial softies should be fine the stock lighting as well. Mp10 and skimmer can be added right before introducing sps, sometime around 7-8 months after tank is wet

If I get to start over, I might not choose biocube, because I had to mod it so much (and i regret i did less, I should have removed the rims also and make it rim less), but the tank build is very solid. There are IM nuvo and couple of other options, their tank build is not that great, but they dont come with all the things, so less things to mod. Price difference is not huge. So... its not a very clear choice...

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of cycling my new BioCube 32 LED (day 5) but have already ordered the InTank media basket and fuge basket for chamber 2. I will be running floss in top rack of media basket, Phosguard (and possibly Purigen) in the middle rack and have a 5.5oz bag of ChemiPure Blue/Elite hanging in the bottom rack area. Will be running Chaetomorpha in the fuge rack and lighting it with an Inovative Marine Auqa Gadget ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED opposite the DT lighting schedule. Stock lighting and return pump (for now), a Eheim Jaeger 15oW heater in chamber 1 and a Hydor Koralia Evolution 1500 powerhead.

Based on my chamber 2 config I am only left with chamber 1 if I want to run a skimmer. It sounds like the only option is the Coralife option due to size/space (need to keep heater in chamber 1) and that I want to keep the lid closed. So I would like to hear feedback from those with the Coral Life skimmer if they feel it is really needed or not. Especially if your running a refugium setup already will it buy you anything. My bio-load will be relatively low but if running one will extend the interval between water changes, I am all for adding it. I know it takes some time and effort to get it dialed in but it does sound like for those that have taken the time to do so, that it does provide some benefit...just not sure how much. Also, if there are any mods to the Coralife skimmer to make it more user friendly, I am all ears.

Anyways, open to any and all input....

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of cycling my new BioCube 32 LED (day 5) but have already ordered the InTank media basket and fuge basket for chamber 2. I will be running floss in top rack of media basket, Phosguard (and possibly Purigen) in the middle rack and have a 5.5oz bag of ChemiPure Blue/Elite hanging in the bottom rack area. Will be running Chaetomorpha in the fuge rack and lighting it with an Inovative Marine Auqa Gadget ChaetoMax 2-n-1 Refugium LED opposite the DT lighting schedule. Stock lighting and return pump (for now), a Eheim Jaeger 15oW heater in chamber 1 and a Hydor Koralia Evolution 1500 powerhead.

Based on my chamber 2 config I am only left with chamber 1 if I want to run a skimmer. It sounds like the only option is the Coralife option due to size/space (need to keep heater in chamber 1) and that I want to keep the lid closed. So I would like to hear feedback from those with the Coral Life skimmer if they feel it is really needed or not. Especially if your running a refugium setup already will it buy you anything. My bio-load will be relatively low but if running one will extend the interval between water changes, I am all for adding it. I know it takes some time and effort to get it dialed in but it does sound like for those that have taken the time to do so, that it does provide some benefit...just not sure how much. Also, if there are any mods to the Coralife skimmer to make it more user friendly, I am all ears.

Anyways, open to any and all input....

I use the corallife skimmer as more of a hidden air stone for extra oxygen in the water. I can’t ever get it to actually pull anything out of the water I think it’s just too small. But works great to oxygenate your water.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tunze 9001 in chamber 2 with the intank media basket. Heater in 1.

All fits. Biocube 32. If this helps anyone.
a91db427190ce6094b3fab8314463e96.jpg

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the corallife skimmer as more of a hidden air stone for extra oxygen in the water. I can’t ever get it to actually pull anything out of the water I think it’s just too small. But works great to oxygenate your water.
Thanks for the candid feedback! Dod you have it in chamber #1?

Heavysledz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tunze 9001 in chamber 2 with the intank media basket. Heater in 1.

All fits. Biocube 32. If this helps anyone.
a91db427190ce6094b3fab8314463e96.jpg
This would be my #2 choice for setups but I am first going to try the InTank media and refuge baskets in chamber #2 with an Innovative Marine Aquagadget 2-in-1 Refugium LED so no real option other than the Coralife Biocube skimmer option in chamber #1.......will wait to see if it is even needed or not.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Tank I have a question on your open top . Did you custom build and if so can you share some insight. Thanks in Advance

Biocube 32

Removed hood and replaced with cut pieces of glass. I leave the back open.

SB reeflights 16" wifi for lights

Aquamaxx HOB1 protien skimmer

I use the middle compartment as a rufugium with cheato. I use a magnetic fuge light.

Still use the stock pump but i have 2 mp10s that i run at about 30% on long pulse mode in the tank.

Use a jaebo 4 head doser to dose kalkwasser and 2 part.

With this setup i can grow anything in the tank.

Good luck! Fun little tanks
20170428_192441.jpg

Richard Cross

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these guys are pretty much spot on. in mine ive got an intank media basket for filtration, Cobalt aquatics mj-1200 pump. ive not found a skimmer that will work under the hood nicely without an ATO but stay on top of weekly waterchanges and you shouldnt need one. im running stock lighting currently but plan to do a steves or cut the hood for an ecotech xr15

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son did his Steve's LED upgrade today. What controller did you get? We got the hurricane x. Not sure we have the lights programmed correctly. I wish I'd had a step by step guide.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 32

Removed hood and replaced with cut pieces of glass. I leave the back open.

SB reeflights 16" wifi for lights

Aquamaxx HOB1 protien skimmer

I use the middle compartment as a rufugium with cheato. I use a magnetic fuge light.

Still use the stock pump but i have 2 mp10s that i run at about 30% on long pulse mode in the tank.

Use a jaebo 4 head doser to dose kalkwasser and 2 part.

With this setup i can grow anything in the tank.

Good luck! Fun little tanks
20170428_192441.jpg

Boy i wish you could make me a lid like that! Looks a lot better than my homemade screen

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, did you ever figure out the controller. I seem to be having the same issue. A y help will be appreciated as I am about to throw it against the wall.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the HurricaneX controller, and have not had issues programming it. What specific problem are you having?

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, soon I will be purchasing a biocube 32, but after doing some research I have seen many reviews that say the standard lighting filtration and powerheads are sub par and should be upgraded, I'm just wondering what you all would suggest for me in upgrading the tank. Thanks in advance!

Many people have had success with the stock hood lighting, while many haven't. The stock lighting will be good enough for the lower light corals. If you don't want to question if you can grow a coral or not, upgrade to steves led. I personally don't like the hoodless look of a biocube. Why buy the tank if you are going to take the hood off? As far as powerheads go, I would get an RFG nozzle, but thats just me, and you will want at least one other nano power head in there as well. As others have mentioned too, i would go with the intank media ranks for the 2nd chamber if you have the funds. If you can't afford those, there are easy DIY kits to make racks.

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I go thru all the steps to program light cycle it never comes on. What should the scream read right after you hit exit for last step.

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I go thru all the steps to program light cycle it never comes on. What should the scream read right after you hit exit for last step.

I have stevesled on mine, i program mine all through an app on my phone, but i do believe it should show your current time on the hood after you program the lights.

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Steve's led upgrade on mine also . Trying to get Hurricane controller to cycle them on and off. How are you controlling it through phone , do u have WiFi on your. Also what app. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back