My Accidental Nano Build Obsession

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beginning of my build...
1547669718952-1421299432-jpg.947253

So in going nano I seriously am saving space. Here is the primed, a bit scuffed but finished product of the stand I built for the ten im going to use. With my other tanks I used scrap steel I welded together. Ugly. This is made out of oak and I straddled the legs so that I wouldn't encounter any wobbly legs. It also allowed me to use less material and hold more weight. I'm not happy with the edges so I might route them but really not sure yet. Instead of wood screws I put finished head lag bolts through each leg with lock nuts, two on each leg. Took a bit of measuring to get the angle right with the legs out about 8 degrees but I have it level and its solid. I should have two inches on the front and back and three on each side as is when I center the tank.considering boxing in the bottom and making the doors inset. For now though its getting a few good coats of paint and a tank on top.
I was pretty pleased with the outcome of the stand. (I did cheat and use a machinist handbook to figure the angles) but hey, off to a good start I think.
At least I can focus on other parts of the build and not worry so much about the fish anymore.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beginning of my build...
1547669718952-1421299432-jpg.947253

So in going nano I seriously am saving space. Here is the primed, a bit scuffed but finished product of the stand I built for the ten im going to use. With my other tanks I used scrap steel I welded together. Ugly. This is made out of oak and I straddled the legs so that I wouldn't encounter any wobbly legs. It also allowed me to use less material and hold more weight. I'm not happy with the edges so I might route them but really not sure yet. Instead of wood screws I put finished head lag bolts through each leg with lock nuts, two on each leg. Took a bit of measuring to get the angle right with the legs out about 8 degrees but I have it level and its solid. I should have two inches on the front and back and three on each side as is when I center the tank.considering boxing in the bottom and making the doors inset. For now though its getting a few good coats of paint and a tank on top.
I was pretty pleased with the outcome of the stand. (I did cheat and use a machinist handbook to figure the angles) but hey, off to a good start I think.
At least I can focus on other parts of the build and not worry so much about the fish anymore.

Can’t wait to see it all together! :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I did cheat and use a machinist handbook to figure the angles." We could all see that you probably cheated to make those angle cuts. The close tolerances are what totally gave it away. :)
(Looks great!)
How tall is this? Standard 10 gallon?

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I did cheat and use a machinist handbook to figure the angles." We could all see that you probably cheated to make those angle cuts. The close tolerances are what totally gave it away. :)
(Looks great!)
How tall is this? Standard 10 gallon?
The stand 38 inches tall and yes standard ten.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this kit from Arduino.
61A1iTXWtrL._AC_SX160_.jpg
The specs appear to be alright. I would change a few of the leds to get a wider spectrum. it is completely a DIY project of course and it does not come with the ac to dc inverter. But...
15477583036081249178094.jpg
I ripped this power supply board out of a Dell and modified it somewhat along with this inducer and fresh thermal paste on all components, two capacitors replaced, I've been using it for a couple of months to run my FW air pumps and two HOBs. In this pic,the components,on the right are what i replaced, cheap as dirt and same components that come in a high dollar unit.
15477586530501019353764.jpg

I also have three of three of these.
1547758777481216134241.jpg

So im thinking with a variable resistor inline with each PWR OUT I could duplicate a manufactured lighting system.
Fans keeping everything cool.
Has anyone reading this tried it and if so is this workable? This is the next step in my build and any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.
Oh,
fire hazard, ill be careful.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this kit from Arduino.
61A1iTXWtrL._AC_SX160_.jpg
The specs appear to be alright. I would change a few of the leds to get a wider spectrum. it is completely a DIY project of course and it does not come with the ac to dc inverter. But...
15477583036081249178094.jpg
I ripped this power supply board out of a Dell and modified it somewhat along with this inducer and fresh thermal paste on all components, two capacitors replaced, I've been using it for a couple of months to run my FW air pumps and two HOBs. In this pic,the components,on the right are what i replaced, cheap as dirt and same components that come in a high dollar unit.
15477586530501019353764.jpg

I also have three of three of these.
1547758777481216134241.jpg

So im thinking with a variable resistor inline with each PWR OUT I could duplicate a manufactured lighting system.
Fans keeping everything cool.
Has anyone reading this tried it and if so is this workable? This is the next step in my build and any suggestions or ideas greatly appreciated.
Oh,
fire hazard, ill be careful.

Do you have a link to the Arduio kit? This looks interesting.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't played much with home built LED's in ages and I haven't used that kit, but following along to see how it turns out!
I haven't ordered the kit yet, but I Took a pair of old's leds don't even know what they are and I tested the current coming out on the dc inverter to them. Then I matched one channel as my board has 5, to the exact voltage by soldering in some resistors. So then I cut the ends of the leds that and soldered them to the board line.
I powered it up and there was no flicker and they were as bright as they were on the little wall unit. Amp draw was the same.
Left them running 5 minutes. Turned it off just to recheck everything. All good.
Another run 2 hours. No high amp draw lights strong -for whay they are- and board doesn't know its doing anything.
Here's a breakdown of what I've spent.
Power supply board: free bad cpu
Capacitors had to replace: 17 cents
Wire: already have it so don't know how to figure that in
Solder: its my job, don't really count that.
So I'm labor and a buck or two deep.
These fixtures are mass produced, cost nothing to manufacture, and we spend hundreds. I'm thinking outside of the box here, but if someone in China can make this and do it by reading a training manual then we should be able to do just as well. The components when you break it down really are like 20 dollars!
That's more for fish

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the Arduio kit? This looks interesting.
Ill find it again on Amazon. I deleted my history last night because I had jumped all over the place I could sift through it. But ill get it and post a link.
It was $37, it was not the cheapest. When I send the link just look at how many others there are. Its insane.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fixtures are mass produced, cost nothing to manufacture, and we spend hundreds. I'm thinking outside of the box here, but if someone in China can make this and do it by reading a training manual then we should be able to do just as well. The components when you break it down really are like 20 dollars!
That's more for fish

I totally agree that for a lot of applications there's not a ton of reason to buy the expensive LED lights out there if a person is tech inclined, has the time to tinker, and doesn't want some of the higher end features neatly packaged.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree that for a lot of applications there's not a ton of reason to buy the expensive LED lights out there if a person is tech inclined, has the time to tinker, and doesn't want some of the higher end features neatly packaged.
Well I've got the fish still quarantined for a while so that does give me time me to tinker. As far as neatly packaged goes, I can stuff a lot of ugly into a pretty box...as long as it works

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back