My Amazeballs Goni is Sad

  • Thread starter Thread starter WoodsieFL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
IMG_0836.jpeg
Here's an update about my gonis. This particular frag took a turn for the worse again about a month ago and got to the point where it looked like death again (fully pulled in with light dusting of algae on the skeleton).

Fortunately, I decided to give a concentrated amino acid bath a try, and noticed a mild overnight improvement. Since then, I've steadily increased the dip frequency to 3x dips a week for 30 mins in a 4ml AB+ and a scoop of coral food in 500ml of tank water. The response has been overall positive with interval recovery.

Of note, every 3rd dip, I have been also adding CIE (coral infection elimination) into the bath too. Not sure if it makes a difference; I'm not sure how much CIE has made a difference because I tried a series of 5 CIE dips in a row followed by weekly CIE dips when things first started deteriorating without dramatic improvement. As such, I think the concentrated Amino acids seem to have made the biggest difference. This being said, CIE doesn't seen to be causing any harm though.

Here's a comparison of last week to this week across all 4 amazeball frags.
Comparison B.png


Here's a comparison of the back two frags (which started off looking the worst out of the four frags) over the past week too.
Comparison A.png
 
Last edited:
Here's an update about my gonis. This particular frag took a turn for the worse again about a month ago and got to the point where it looked like death again (fully pulled in with light dusting of algae on the skeleton).

Fortunately, I decided to give a concentrated amino acid bath a try, and noticed a mild overnight improvement. Since then, I've steadily increased the dip frequency to 3x dips a week for 30 mins in a 4ml AB+ and a scoop of coral food in 500ml of tank water. The response has been overall positive with interval recovery.

Of note, every 3rd dip, I have been also adding CIE (coral infection elimination) into the bath too. Not sure if it makes a difference; I'm not sure how much CIE has made a difference because I tried a series of 5 CIE dips in a row followed by weekly CIE dips when things first started deteriorating without dramatic improvement. As such, I think the concentrated Amino acids seem to have made the biggest difference. This being said, CIE doesn't seen to be causing any harm though.

Here's a comparison of last week to this week across all 4 amazeball frags.
Comparison B.png


Here's a comparison of the back two frags (which started off looking the worst out of the four frags) over the past week too.
Comparison A.png
That’s actually incredible. Everything about each coral looks significantly better. Perhaps leaving one of the four out of the dip as a control would be a cool idea to see the difference in growth rate and coloration. Pulling and dipping that often is something I would never have thought of. I’m a set it and forget it type person though. Since I started this thread I think my particular amazeballs has regressed and recovered four or five times. At this point, it will pretty much fully close overnight and I’ll immediately do a water change and refresh my carbon upon seeing it. That for whatever reason seems to help the coral come back before the tissues wears down to the visible skeleton.
 
That’s actually incredible. Everything about each coral looks significantly better. Perhaps leaving one of the four out of the dip as a control would be a cool idea to see the difference in growth rate and coloration. Pulling and dipping that often is something I would never have thought of. I’m a set it and forget it type person though. Since I started this thread I think my particular amazeballs has regressed and recovered four or five times. At this point, it will pretty much fully close overnight and I’ll immediately do a water change and refresh my carbon upon seeing it. That for whatever reason seems to help the coral come back before the tissues wears down to the visible skeleton.
It would be a cool control, but expensive one too 😝. That might be something I give a try down the road if things deteriorate again in the future and I have more duplicates of it available. Right now I’m still in the damage control mindset.

I’ve pulled out all of the stops trying to save this one, including moving it to a nano with no other Goniopora, carbon changes every 2 weeks, additional manganese and iron dosing.

The one thing that seemed to make the most dramatic and quickest turn around had been the amino acid dips. I’m not sure why though.
 
Last edited:
We continue to have interval improvement with the 3x a week dips. Not sure what my end-point will be for the dips. Maybe when they get back to full extension again, I'll cut back to 2x a week for a while and then weekly before stopping.
Amazeballs 1.png


Amazeballs 2.png

Amazeballs 3.png
 
Here's another weekly update. Still doing 3x a week dips: the AB+ concentration calculates out to 400x Red Sea's recommended in-tank dosing concentration.

Here's all of the amazeball frags from 7-23 to 8-11-2026
July to August.png


Here is the dramatic progress of one of them from 6-28 to 8-11-2026
June to August.png
 
I had one awhile back and just like others it just went south one day. All great for a few months and then done
 
Mine was closed up for the first three weeks when first introduced into my tank. It started opening after spot feeding a concoction of benepets, reefroids, and reef chili
IMG_7756.jpeg
 
All 4 amazeball frags seemed to have made a 95% recovery. I've put two of the back into the main system with my other gonis, and left two in the separated nano where they were healed/recovered in.

Will see if the two that got moved to the main system start suffering again (aka is chemical warfare with other gonis what injured them in the first place?).
1790641195789.png

1790641207732.png

1790641215698.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new