My Battle with Blue Clove Polyps (BCP) using Fenbendazole - success!

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there. Do you know where I can buy Thomas labs Fish Bendazole? I used to use it years ago and now I can’t find it in any retail outlet online?
Not sure but i can tell you from using it 1x and then using the Canine dewormer available on Amazon - Panacur C, the Panacur definitely was more effective. You do have to pulverize it into a fine powder but for some reason it worked best.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but i can tell you from using it 1x and then using the Canine dewormer available on Amazon - Panacur C, the Panacur definitely was more effective. You do have to pulverize it into a fine powder but for some reason it worked best.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I just ordered some panacur c.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get it either. But i believe that carbon removes good and bad things. If you already run low nutrient it can strip the water and as a result i see lps and sos rtn and stn. Once i to move the carbon my tank stops the die off. It’s very weird i agree but i prefer no carbon. Lost two torches in this treatment and i believe it is 100% carbon caused. Granted i was using carbon rocks in a sock in my spill over sump area so maybe it was just too much for the tank to handle. Rox are too strong! Lol
I killed a bunch of corals with carbon as well. I used too much in a canister filter and once the RTN started, it was all over.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience fenbendazole will clear out your clove polyps in a few days when dosing 2mg/g but you’ll be faced with an unrelenting algae outbreak after and will not be able to use snails to fight it for a long time (I’m at 2 months and counting).

In hindsight, maybe I should have tried 1mg/g first. I truly didn’t realize that running carbon for months and changing 3x worth of total water volume wouldn’t be enough to have a viable CUC of snails. There’s part of me that wonders if I’ll ever be able to have them again.

In my experience fenbendazole will clear out your clove polyps in a few days when dosing 2mg/g but you’ll be faced with an unrelenting algae outbreak after and will not be able to use snails to fight it for a long time (I’m at 2 months and counting).

In hindsight, maybe I should have tried 1mg/g first. I truly didn’t realize that running carbon for months and changing 3x worth of total water volume wouldn’t be enough to have a viable CUC of snails. There’s part of me that wonders if I’ll ever be able to have them again.
May I recommend dwarf blue leg hermits instead of snails for cuc. I’ve used them exclusively for cuc for over twenty years. For some reason LFSs rarely carry them. You can find them online for pretty reasonable cost. Initially start with 100 of them per 100 gallons. It sounds like a lot, but they’re so tiny. You hardly even notice them. They’re not affected in the slightest by fenbendazole, which I have used many times. They’re never blocking your view by sitting on the front glass like snails love to do. They leave your rock sparkling clean. They pretty much seem to live forever, barring any catastrophe. They’re not aggressive and don’t fight with each other or attack anything that’s alive. Here’s a pic of my tank for credibility. You won’t find any algae anywhere except in the refugium, where I also keep these hermits to eat the nuisance algae that would otherwise grow on my chaeto. Although I do have my water quality super dialed in it’s the hermits that keep it perfectly spotless.

IMG_3646.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back