Killing Blue Clove Polyps

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
Sorry if this is the wrong category for this thread, wasn’t too sure where else to post.
So I have a few zoanthid frags that have blue clove polyps growing on them. They have began to seriously irritate the zoas. Luckily they are contained to their own frag plugs. I can’t physically remove them as they are all over the zoanthids. So I would like to treat them with fenbendazole. I plan on just putting them into a heated bucket with a small powerhead for a couple days. Does anyone have any experience using fenbendazole to kill BCP in this way? Could there be any adverse effects upon adding them back into the frag tank afterwards?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with this treatment but it seems like a good way to treat the problem outside of the display tank where you can kill the pest and not risk harming anything else.

I don’t see why it would not be successful if you follow the dosage for the treatment and let the death happen remotely. You should plan to change the water, as needed (and redose the antibiotics) until the polyps have clearly died. If you have everything in a small bucket the water quality during the process could become an issue quickly but that should be easy enough to work around.
Start a new kill thread, or take pictures and post your results for the good of the hobby.

Question Want Me To Kill Them GIF
Finish Him The Last Of Us GIF by HBO

:anguished-face:o_O:downcast-face-with-sweat::cool:
Hopefully some one will speak up with their own experience(s) to give you an idea what they saw and how they would proceed!

Edit, I think the bucket is a good idea and the impacts when the cleanup is done will not reach back into the display unless you have remorse for your own actions.

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a couple of posts down looks like he had luck with fenbendazole

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been lazy since I’ve been horribly busy this week haha. I plan on starting this effort this weekend.
Well good luck. I have a 75 g with most of the rocks covered with these nasty little turds! They really irritate the zoas and a couple of other corals. I had given in but now I am planning to fight back! I have a friend that I helped kill them in her tank. She had researched and found a process where you mix Kalkwasser with 20% Hydrogen Peroxide into a pasty consistency. You remove the rock from the tank and use a small brush to apply the T
Kalk paste on the BCP. Only do a section of tank rock at a time because it will throw your water off. Let the rock sit for 30 minutes to allow the Kalk to dry and then you can put the rock back in the tank. It worked for a while, but the BCP came back , only not as much. This may mean it killed some. I think the idea is that Kalk gets into the cracks of the rock where the BCP have their roots. Also, if you get any on your coral, that part will die if not the whole thing so you have to be very steady handed near the good corals. Hope this helps should you try it. I'm just not ready to nuke my tank. BTW, she nuked her tank 3 times and the BCP still returned....I wish they would develop a coral safe BCP killer albeit its a coral to and that is the issue!

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a couple of posts down looks like he had luck with fenbendazole
Yes, I saw that and read it after I asked him, but looks like he didn't try the individual method instead of the broadcast method.

im_jeremy5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
Sorry if this is the wrong category for this thread, wasn’t too sure where else to post.
So I have a few zoanthid frags that have blue clove polyps growing on them. They have began to seriously irritate the zoas. Luckily they are contained to their own frag plugs. I can’t physically remove them as they are all over the zoanthids. So I would like to treat them with fenbendazole. I plan on just putting them into a heated bucket with a small powerhead for a couple days. Does anyone have any experience using fenbendazole to kill BCP in this way? Could there be any adverse effects upon adding them back into the frag tank afterwards?
I am on the verge of taking my tank down due to those jerks. Worse than aptasia, aptasia has predators. Clove polyps spread like fire in my tank.

Me personally if I had it isolated to a plug I WOULD THROW THAT FRAG IN THE TRASH. I would throw 20 frags in the trash if I had to. It's not worth it.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on the verge of taking my tank down due to those jerks. Worse than aptasia, aptasia has predators. Clove polyps spread like fire in my tank.

Me personally if I had it isolated to a plug I WOULD THROW THAT FRAG IN THE TRASH. I would throw 20 frags in the trash if I had to. It's not worth it.
Dude I got so lazy and so busy, I ended up just tossing out three frags that had it. I only have two frags left that have them, but it’s zoas I really like, so at some point I’ll give it a shot. But god dang am I lazy

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back