My betta is sick

toxic haste1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been laying around and not like it’s self in 1 gallon tank just did a water change it’s been laying on the bottom

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is not a freshwater site - However - Are there other symptoms. +1 on the water change - can you give more information. Betta live from 2-5 years - so I would wonder if its old age - assuming there are no symtoms otherwise

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It has been laying around and not like it’s self in 1 gallon tank just did a water change it’s been laying on the bottom
Bettas get sluggish when:
Temperature is too cool
When tap water is added - Do Not use tap- but distilled
When approaching 2 years of age
If it developed a bacterial issue

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bettas get sluggish when:
Temperature is too cool
When tap water is added - Do Not use tap- but distilled
When approaching 2 years of age
If it developed a bacterial issue
I'm curious - For bettas its probably ok - since they can breathe air - but - in general - if you use distilled/RODI water for freshwater, you need to add a buffer of some kind - BTW - I'm asking question rather than making a statement.

Upvote 0

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 gallon is not a tank. If I had to guess based on the zero information provided and water volume, it most likely finally succumb to the water quality. A labyrinth organ is not a replacement for good husbandry.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1 gallon is not a tank. If I had to guess based on the zero information provided and water volume, it most likely finally succumb to the water quality. A labyrinth organ is not a replacement for good husbandry.
These fish are found and raised in rice patties prior to shipments to the USA. The are labyrinth and need very little water opposed to air but 5 gallon often recommended

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm curious - For bettas its probably ok - since they can breathe air - but - in general - if you use distilled/RODI water for freshwater, you need to add a buffer of some kind - BTW - I'm asking question rather than making a statement.
A dechlorinator recommended but reason for distilled is the lower Ph as they thrive best in water with a pH of 6.8 to 7.4. When pH levels are out of range, their water could contain ammonia levels in which its recommended to do weekly changes. If the water balance changes, can result in gill issues and death.

Upvote 0

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are found and raised in rice patties prior to shipments to the USA. The are labyrinth and need very little water opposed to air but 5 gallon often recommended
Rice paddies are hundreds of acres long and over a foot deep. Their natural habitats are marshes the size of the Florida Everglades. One gallon is still not a tank, and a labyrinth organ is still not a replacement foe good husbandry.

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rice paddies are hundreds of acres long and over a foot deep. Their natural habitats are marshes the size of the Florida Everglades. One gallon is still not a tank, and a labyrinth organ is still not a replacement foe good husbandry.
IMHO - this is like saying reef fish live in oceans that are thousands of miles of water. Bettas can indeed live in very small areas of water - and can 'travel' over land to get to another one if needed. IMHO - I would keep a betta in a 5 gallon tank - perhaps - but - a one gallon tank is not 'bad husbandry'. And - it also likely did not cause this fish's demise.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had bettas my whole life before going to saltwater. These fish do need perfect water quality. They also need a tank with filtration (very very minimal flow) but still need it for success with them. 5 gallons with places to hide is the best tank set up, most people think they dont need room to swim because they “come from small puddles”. This isnt true, bettas like having plants and other stuff to take cover in. Be careful to not over feed them, that wont be good. If you get another betta I recommend this tank set up as Ive had bettas live to 3 years in this condition. Also use the water suggestions from @vetteguy53081 . They also have “betta tanks” as some stores next to the bettas that replicate the tank set up I described, I would look into that. Sorry to bear for your loss, bettas are my favorite freshwater fish

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive had bettas my whole life before going to freshwater. These fish do need perfect water quality. They also need a tank with filtration (very very minimal flow) but still need it for success with them. 5 gallons with places to hide is the best tank set up, most people think they dont need room to swim because they “come from small puddles”. This isnt true, bettas like having plants and other stuff to take cover in. Be careful to not over feed them, that wont be good. If you get another betta I recommend this tank set up as Ive had bettas live to 3 years in this condition. Also use the water suggestions from @vetteguy53081 . They also have “betta tanks” as some stores next to the bettas that replicate the tank set up I described, I would look into that. Sorry to bear for your loss, bettas are my favorite freshwater fish
I mentioned 5 gallons for tank
They don’t Ned much water during transport
I sold hundreds at my LFS until I found many of the kids buying them were fighting them
I sold short tail. Chinese, long fin and many show types

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold hundreds at my LFS until I found many of the kids buying them were fighting them
Yes you for sure did!

Upvote 0

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not about being able to "survive". I can keep a large tang in a 10 gallon tank and it will survive. I can tie a german shepard to a tree it's whole life and it will survive. It's about quality of life and being a decent pet owner. I don't care how many company sell crappy "tanks" next to the betta displays, or how many have been sold in little cups at LFS. It's not humane, and it certainly isn't anything close to natural. Small spaces cause stress, and a stressed fish is a sick fish. Combine that with lack of heat, nitrification, or basic husbandry and you can absolutely shorten a fishes life substantially or flat out kill it (yes, even a betta).

3-5g is the absolute bare minimum any fish should be housed in, salt or fresh. 10g would be even better.

Mine was kept in a heavily planted 20g with a couple of ottos and amanos. He lived almost 4 years.

Edit: sorry, I was responding to multiple but only clipped your quote in multi

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about being able to "survive". I can keep a large tang in a 10 gallon tank and it will survive. I can tie a german shepard to a tree it's whole life and it will survive. It's about quality of life and being a decent pet owner. I don't care how many company sell crappy "tanks" next to the betta displays, or how many have been sold in little cups at LFS. It's not humane, and it certainly isn't anything close to natural. Small spaces cause stress, and a stressed fish is a sick fish. Combine that with lack of heat, nitrification, or basic husbandry and you can absolutely shorten a fishes life substantially or flat out kill it (yes, even a betta).

3-5g is the absolute bare minimum any fish should be housed in, salt or fresh. 10g would be even better.

Mine was kept in a heavily planted 20g with a couple of ottos and amanos. He lived almost 4 years.

Edit: sorry, I was responding to multiple but only clipped your quote in multi
No I agree for sure. The cups are horrible. All my tanks for bettas were 10 gallons and they were the only fish in there, 5 is the bare minimum for a single betta IMO. I hate seeing them in cups in the store its so sad. The tanks Ive seen next to bettas at pet co are like 5 to 10 gallons at least the one I go to which is nice to see for a change instead of the little crates they pass off as tanks. Bettas are wonderful fish and I wish the industry would treat them with more care, and honestly that applies to all fish that are caught. My fish are my friends and I love them all!

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back