My betta is sick

toxic haste1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been laying around and not like it’s self in 1 gallon tank just did a water change it’s been laying on the bottom

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The question was/is, what killed the betta. IMHO - it was not the 1 gallon tank. FWIW I'm not advocating for bettas to be kept in 1 gallon, 5 gallon or 500 gallon tanks. The point is/was they can survive extremely poor conditions for periods of time (thats a fact). One thing thats definitely true is that bettas are tropical fish - and keeping them without a heater in any kind of tank is suboptimal.

Upvote 0

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question was/is, what killed the betta. IMHO - it was not the 1 gallon tank. FWIW I'm not advocating for bettas to be kept in 1 gallon, 5 gallon or 500 gallon tanks. The point is/was they can survive extremely poor conditions for periods of time (thats a fact). One thing thats definitely true is that bettas are tropical fish - and keeping them without a heater in any kind of tank is suboptimal.
They can until they can't. That's my point. If a fish has survived 2 years in a very subpar habitat, then rapidly and unexpectedly dies with no apparent cause, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the tank and general care are to blame. I've seen SW fish go belly up after attempting to be netted at my lfs, and that's just 2 mins of stress. You don't think 2 years can do the same?

Upvote 0

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless OP posts parameters and pictures, we will never know. I'm just saying that since it was kept in a 1 gallon cup, and OP's first action was to come make a brand new account on a SW forum, they probably didn't have the required knowledge for fish keeping in the first place.

Upvote 0

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9703.gif

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rice paddies are hundreds of acres long and over a foot deep. Their natural habitats are marshes the size of the Florida Everglades. One gallon is still not a tank, and a labyrinth organ is still not a replacement foe good husbandry.
1 gallon is not a tank. If I had to guess based on the zero information provided and water volume, it most likely finally succumb to the water quality. A labyrinth organ is not a replacement for good husbandry.
Before you go off on someone, you need to stop and think about who you are talking to, these post like this very well maybe a child, or someone with a disabled. They may de getting there info from an unknowledgeable LFS and have no idea. You need to be a little more gentle with them instead of trying to pump your self up. Just my 2 cents....... You could really hurt someone that is already in emotional pain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you go off on someone, you need to stop and think about who you are talking to, these post like this very well maybe a child, or someone with is disabled. They may de getting there info from an unknowledgeable LFS and have no idea. You need to be a little more gentle with them instead of trying to pump your self up. Just my 2 cents....... You could really hurt someone that is already in emotional pain.
I think even a child could have done a simple Google search on "how to care for a betta" or at the very least their parents.

Seriously, how are you calling me the bad guy on a fish keeping forum for saying that we shouldn't abuse our pets?

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive had bettas my whole life before going to saltwater. These fish do need perfect water quality. They also need a tank with filtration (very very minimal flow) but still need it for success with them. 5 gallons with places to hide is the best tank set up, most people think they dont need room to swim because they “come from small puddles”. This isnt true, bettas like having plants and other stuff to take cover in. Be careful to not over feed them, that wont be good. If you get another betta I recommend this tank set up as Ive had bettas live to 3 years in this condition. Also use the water suggestions from @vetteguy53081 . They also have “betta tanks” as some stores next to the bettas that replicate the tank set up I described, I would look into that. Sorry to bear for your loss, bettas are my favorite freshwater fish
"Betta fish are known for their hardiness and their ability to survive in lower-quality water. Although they can exist in poor conditions, it is bad for their health, and they will not live as long or as happily as they should. A betta fish should never be left in dirty water if you can avoid it."

I'm not advocating keeping bettas in dirty water, only stating that what you're saying is perhaps too strongly stated?

PS - I meant with regards to 'perfect water quality'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think even a child could have done a simple Google search on "how to care for a betta" or at the very least their parents.

Seriously, how are you calling me the bad guy on a fish keeping forum for saying that we shouldn't abuse our pets?
I am not sure anyone has psychoanalyzed a betta - to determine whether they are being abused or not. IMHO - the main issue for bettas is not the size of the tank (though again I wouldn't not keep one < 5 gallons of water) - it's the temperature that many people ignore - if the temp in your house is 66 at night, your betta 'bowl' is also going to be 66 by morning, etc etc.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could have a little more empathy in your post, maybe not so direct. Again in your response right here, "even a child" . Stop and think how you would want to be responded to. Were you born with the knowledge about fish keeping? Or did you make mistakes hmmm. Right you made mistakes. Treat others with a little compassion. Again you take my criticism to heart and got a little hurt by what I said
Thank about the hurt you may have caused in your post instead,

Upvote 0

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure anyone has psychoanalyzed a betta - to determine whether they are being abused or not. IMHO - the main issue for bettas is not the size of the tank (though again I wouldn't not keep one < 5 gallons of water) - it's the temperature that many people ignore - if the temp in your house is 66 at night, your betta 'bowl' is also going to be 66 by morning, etc etc.

You could have a little more empathy in your post, maybe not so direct. Again in your response right here, "even a child" . Stop and think how you would want to be responded to. Were you born with the knowledge about fish keeping? Or did you make mistakes hmmm. Right you made mistakes. Treat others with a little compassion. Again you take my criticism to heart and got a little hurt by what I said
Thank about the hurt you may have caused in your post instead,
I'm not hurt or upset. I'm frustrated that it's 2023 and people still do this stuff like it's 1965. Im not budging an inch on this but I'll remove myself from the conversation before the thread gets locked. You shouldn't abuse animals and not taking the 5 minutes to research something before you bring it home is not an excuse in the modern age. It's just not.

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Betta fish are known for their hardiness and their ability to survive in lower-quality water. Although they can exist in poor conditions, it is bad for their health, and they will not live as long or as happily as they should. A betta fish should never be left in dirty water if you can avoid it."

I'm not advocating keeping bettas in dirty water, only stating that what you're saying is perhaps too strongly stated?

PS - I meant with regards to 'perfect water quality'
I mean perfect water quality for the fish’s requirements, I could have stated that better and clearer. I always kept my betta’s water clean and changed water every week for mine when I kept them and thats how I found success. Fish keeping is one of those things that people seem to do different. I found that having them in clean water all the time was how I kept them and they thrived, someone else may not change water as much for their betta and they are just fine. Just stating what worked for me in hopes of giving the OP some advice. Ive kept bettas since I was a first grader and found success with my routine and found that The second the water started to get “dirty” my bettas became less active, thus me striving to keep their water as clean as I could.

Upvote 0
Back