My Biocube 32 in San Diego

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I've already learned so much (and realized the overwhelming amount of things I don't know) in the short time I've been a member or R2R. I'm starting with a 32 gallon BioCube after waffling for a while on a HOB style breeder vs a decked out rimless setup with sump, etc. Being brand new to saltwater aquariums and out of the freshwater scene for 15 years I decided the BC32 was a good compromise. I'm still in the VERY early stages of having just purchased the aquarium and stand and plan to get it set up and cycling this weekend! I look forward to all the help and guidance along the way that the R2R community provides!

OP
OP
cgripp256

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stage 1 and 2 complete!

I filled the system with tap water and ran it for a couple days to check the pump and to make sure there were no leaks.

Today I drained it and added the following:
27lbs of live rock
25 lbs Arag alive pink sand which gave me a 1.5“ to 2” sand bed
27 gallons of premixed saltwater
1 packet of the water clarifier that came in the sand

I‘m using two 100 watt Eheim jager heaters in the return pump chamber both attached to an Inkbird controller and set to 78 degrees.

I have everything hooked up to a 6 plug smart powerstrip so I can set schedules or remotely/voice control each outlet.

Currently I have the pump and powerhead running with filter floss on top and the basic carbon filter that came with the BC32 directly under that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgripp256

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial water test after having the tank running for 6 hours showed:
ph at 8
Nitrates/Nitrites/Ammonia all at 0

Obviously I didn’t expect there to be anything noteworthy.

I’m not 100% sure I have my final rock layout but I’m pretty happy with it. I’m thinking one arch piece at top to bring it a little higher.

3AC9A4EF-C1FF-45FB-9555-6890105EC179.jpeg 76C24E37-7FEE-47D9-89A7-10F77EA3EC73.jpeg C541D7E9-E6A6-4E78-9688-682F4FFD1295.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgripp256

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few days ago, after checking that my tank was in fact “cycled” (I used live rock, live sand and bio spira) we purchased a lightning maroon clown and got her in the new tank.

Of course AFTER that I began reading all that is Humblefish and gave myself enough anxiety that I immediately set up a 10 gal QT tank.

I know it isn’t a perfect QT situation but I’m going to keep the clown in the DT since she is already there and looking healthy.

I sourced a yellowtail damsel from an lfs and I have it in QT for at least 30 days depending on what happens.

I have to say that after visiting around 6 different stores I've concluded they all have something about them I don’t like whether its unknowledgeable staff, poor housekeeping, signs of infection or just poor selection and inventory.

I was especially put off by one store that on 1st appearances was the best kept but after a 2nd visit I saw obvious likely infections in a couple of tanks and the staff member just discounted it and did nothing.

I finally chose our damsel from a tank at another store. There were 3 total in the tank and they all looked very healthy as did all the other fish. Fewer fish per tank in general. I spoke with the owner and he shared that he doses copper and keeps his tanks at hypo-salinity to minimize issues. He wouldnt share what level he doses at as he considered it a “secret sauce” so to speak but salinity was 1.020 when I checked at home.

The fish acclimated well and began heartily eating right away. Now for the wait. I’m still on the fence about the prophylactic vs observe and treat as needed approaches. I’ve yet to talk to anyone locally that abides by the Humblefish protocol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgripp256

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT setup and clown. I did add the dry rock arch and rearranged a bit from the original layout.

Attachments

• 4836CB0F-8395-4DC6-89DF-C8D4638C4E04.jpeg
    4836CB0F-8395-4DC6-89DF-C8D4638C4E04.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 51
  • 0BBBDE8A-1053-49C1-A227-A3BCDD16DB58.jpeg
    0BBBDE8A-1053-49C1-A227-A3BCDD16DB58.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 56
  • A6DD96B1-F008-4BAE-86C0-DC652EBAAEC3.jpeg
    A6DD96B1-F008-4BAE-86C0-DC652EBAAEC3.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
cgripp256

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also added:

1. the intank media basket as I felt like the oem basket just allowed too much flow around the floss and wasted about 2x the amount in doing so.

2. an ATO (after a small mishap with where I put the siphon break) :oops:

I also picked up the Hydor controller and plan to pick up another 425 gph Karalia so I can alternate them to mix up the flow a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgripp256

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank but that damsel might be an a hole I had one and it was not nice ended up being the only fish in a 29 tank just a warning
Yeah the consensus I get is our maroon clown is most likely to be a bully so I plan on using an acclimation box and taking it slow.
It’d be a shame if I had to buy another/bigger tank.:p

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the consensus I get is our maroon clown is most likely to be a bully so I plan on using an acclimation box and taking it slow.
As long as you give them plenty of areas to get away from eachother and break line of sight aggression should be minimal (enless your fish happens to be a real d)

OP
OP
cgripp256

cgripp256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my 2nd Koralia installed with the controller. I have them set to alternate back and forth every 15 minutes for now.

I’m just waiting for my damsel to finish quarantine before adding her to the DT with our clown.

My kids (who are all in their 20s now) decided the tank inhabitants needed names and a theme so they chose Harry Potter characters as the theme. As such our LM clown is now Hermoine and the damsel is Luna.

Little bit of a diatom outbreak and a small amount of green algae so as uglies go it’s pretty minimal so far.

I was thinking of adding a few CUC. Maybe a handful of snails. Thoughts?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few days ago, after checking that my tank was in fact “cycled” (I used live rock, live sand and bio spira) we purchased a lightning maroon clown and got her in the new tank.

Of course AFTER that I began reading all that is Humblefish and gave myself enough anxiety that I immediately set up a 10 gal QT tank.

I know it isn’t a perfect QT situation but I’m going to keep the clown in the DT since she is already there and looking healthy.

I sourced a yellowtail damsel from an lfs and I have it in QT for at least 30 days depending on what happens.

I have to say that after visiting around 6 different stores I've concluded they all have something about them I don’t like whether its unknowledgeable staff, poor housekeeping, signs of infection or just poor selection and inventory.

I was especially put off by one store that on 1st appearances was the best kept but after a 2nd visit I saw obvious likely infections in a couple of tanks and the staff member just discounted it and did nothing.

I finally chose our damsel from a tank at another store. There were 3 total in the tank and they all looked very healthy as did all the other fish. Fewer fish per tank in general. I spoke with the owner and he shared that he doses copper and keeps his tanks at hypo-salinity to minimize issues. He wouldnt share what level he doses at as he considered it a “secret sauce” so to speak but salinity was 1.020 when I checked at home.

The fish acclimated well and began heartily eating right away. Now for the wait. I’m still on the fence about the prophylactic vs observe and treat as needed approaches. I’ve yet to talk to anyone locally that abides by the Humblefish protocol.
what stores you been going to! When coral time comes check out @AquaSD on clairemont mesa and their clearance section for pieces nicer and cheaper than aquatic warehouse and petzone imo

Vinnie1959

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the Biocube 32 in December of 2021 and set up my Red Sea Reefer350 in March of 2022.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back