OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for sumps, I used the eshopps nano cube. It’s great except for one major drawback. The under channel below the skimmer section is impossible to clean. I end up having small feather duster worm living down there. A better sump would have been the Fiji cube 15, where one can diy a wall to split the large sump for a separate refugium and skimmer. Or the bashea ss Mano. Personally I prefer the Fiji because the location where the filter floss/sock holder is perfect for inserting a klir d-4 v2 fleece roller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problematic area in the eshopps sump that is hard to clean out. The flow direction in the refugium section is really good. It spins the chaeto like a ball naturally.

Attachments

• IMG_7760.jpeg
    IMG_7760.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar sized Fiji cube, can easily add a wall with holes in between to create a separate refugium and skimmer section

Attachments

• IMG_7761.jpeg
    IMG_7761.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 4

I.love.blennies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Nick! This is priceless advice. I really appreciate it.

I don't really want the higher turn over rate, but it seems that if I want an overflow with 3 ports (to do a beanAnimal setup) all of the commercial options require the two holes for that. Perhaps there's a reason here. Maybe the beanAnimal is overkill for a tank this size. Do you feel your overflow setup has kept you happy? One less pipe would be nice, as well.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh if you want to do the bean animal. Then the Fiji cube is perfect. There’re two drain pipes side by side at the filter section, you can always put the 3rd pipe ie the emergency at the skimmer section

Attachments

• IMG_7772.jpeg
    IMG_7772.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Nick! This is priceless advice. I really appreciate it.

I don't really want the higher turn over rate, but it seems that if I want an overflow with 3 ports (to do a beanAnimal setup) all of the commercial options require the two holes for that. Perhaps there's a reason here. Maybe the beanAnimal is overkill for a tank this size. Do you feel your overflow setup has kept you happy? One less pipe would be nice, as well.
My herbie overflow can actually handle a very large flow rate. I actually have to throttle the flow a lot with the gate valve. I am running my DC return pump ( a sicce SDC 3.0) at 95+%. The flow rate is definitely much more than the 300gph flow rate of the original coralife supplied pump. I don’t even need to use any wave maker and the surface agitation is so strong that the light shimmers on the sand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the bean animal is for higher flow rates. I recently acquired a 100 gallon IM100 ext tank and it uses a bean animal to get higher than 1000 Gph flow. For everything I have seen available in the market ie redsea, innovative marine, Fiji cube, waterbox etc, all use herbie style for tanks 80 gallon and below. Bean animal only at 100 gallon and above.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you’re are wondering about overflow noise, mine is absolutely silent with the simple modifications I did to the weir. In fact the foaming sound of the bubbles in the skimmer is way louder than the overflow…

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back