My boring collecting thread

LArifleMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As. Louisiana native I can tell you folks we are not blessed with Crystal clear waters that are filled with lovely corals and multicolored fish.

That being said, I do enjoy collecting the critters we do have and almost wish I had continued my marine biology degree.

Anyway, last night's trip to the pier in Grand Isle, LA was a very fruitful one. I went to get silversides and shrimp for feeders but they were non-existent. I did however find a dozen or more gobies, three sizable toadfish, blennies and a large fat Sleeper.

I'll try keep this as a continuous thread with updates.

IMG_20190925_215100706.jpg IMG_20190925_215216532.jpg IMG_20190925_215248432.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice toadfish!

Jealous.... if I get my feet in saltwater, it means my tank is leaking
You and me both.....although we do have a lot of invasive gobies now in Lake Erie :(

OP
OP
LArifleMAN

LArifleMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, and a boat. I'd love to go to some of the rig structures and collect.

OP
OP
LArifleMAN

LArifleMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little blenny doesn't realize how close to danger he is, danger's name is Marty.
IMG_20190928_224808093.jpg

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never boring. I love collecting my own fish as well. I have an oyster reef biotope tank, with blennies, gobies and skilletfish along with some invertebrates local to me from the Chesapeake Bay. I'll be following along!

OP
OP
LArifleMAN

LArifleMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasmodes, I love your biotype tank thats on the other forum and I was thinking of starting my own simply because oysters are a huge industry down here.

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Very cool. I look forward to that tank as well. I have a thread on there also, but I've been a bit quiet on all of the forums lately. Not much to report. My female blenny died, so I'm trying to collect a replacement, but have been busy with other hobbies (fishing mostly). I hope to get out and collect again soon, maybe next weekend. One of the problems in the Chesapeake earlier this year was that we had a ton of rain early in the year, and much of the Bay had too low of a salinity, so many species weren't showing up in my net. Lately, we've had a bit of a drought, and while fishing the Bay, we started catching spanish mackerel and bluefish, so I'm pretty sure that the salinity issue has been resolved. My collecting spots should produce again. All I need to do is get some to get out there.

OP
OP
LArifleMAN

LArifleMAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had some fairly severe algal blooms around the gulf this year coupled with the storms recently and general terrible water quality. The blennies and clingfish seem to have taken a hit from last year.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back