My build thread

So excited for you! The beginning of something great! Remember, the journey is just as satisfying as the end result. Don't rush it! Best wishes.
 
After 2 days of building the stand connecting plumbing attaching sump, refmat, lights, wave maker, doser, slide out shelf and so on. The tank is up and running. I was also given a bio bomb of my fish guys sponge from one of his tanks. Let the cycle begin.
 
601FFAEF-7B24-452F-966A-C3FD0721ED58.jpeg
 
One week in now and still no measurable ammonia. When does that spike usually occur?
 
Nice setup. I believe you need to add a source of ammonia to start the cycle.
 
Thanks Matty Ice. I added 2.5 tbsp of Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride and 8 oz of Dr Tim’s all in one nitrifying bacteria. Finally I have ammonia but now cannot seem to get nitrites to spike. Nor do I have any nitrate either. My ammonia hit between 2 and 4 ppm and then dropped down to about .5 ppm. I then added another tbsp of ammonium chloride to get ammonia back up to 2 ppm. Still no Nitrite or nitrate. 3 weeks tomorrow. Ideas?
 
When did you dose the ammonia and Dr. Tim’s? What test kit are you using? Fleece Matt, Skimmer or UV running?
 
Last edited:
When did you dose the ammonia and Dr. Tim’s? What test kit are you using? Fleece Matt, Skimmer or UV I have no lights on and
API test kit. I first dosed ammonium chloride Saturday 11/26 and 4 oz all in one Sunday 11/27. No lights or skimmer. I had my roller Matt going though so I assume the bacteria got gobbled up by the reefMatt. I only measured ammonia and no nitrite or nitrates. One week later I dosed ammonium chloride back up to 2-3 ppm and dumped in 8 oz of all in one. That was Friday 12/2. Again no lights and no reefmatt this time. Skimmer is running though. It has now been 48 hours and the ammonia is dropping (1ppm) but still no nitrite or nitrate.
 
Got the tank cycled and added 2 clowns on 12/7/22
 
Good setup, can't wait to see what your tank will look like!!
 
Tank is running good. 2 clowns and a frog spawn and a Zoa. Looking to add another fish. Ideas?
 
I just got myself a RedSea XL300 too! Excited to set it up. What lights and skimmer are you using?
 
Loving mine. I got two Red Sea RL 90 lights and a simplicity 120 DC skimmer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new