My Butterflyfish died. Could it be my circulation pump?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,
So, I just lost my Long Nose Butterfly (his name was Obnoxious). It was totally acting fine. Swimming, eating, getting along with the others. However, it did have Ich, but it didn't seem to bother him. I was on the last day of a 14 day Kick Ich regimen. He had maybe 2 or 3 white spots left on him, but again, wasn't acting lethargic or anything. l saw him less than 2 hours ago, and he was fine.

I just came and checked on the tank, and there he was, dead. His body was being pulled on by the outer grating of the circulation pump. At first I theorized that the suction from the pump pulled him and he couldn't escape, but I checked with my hand and could not feel any suction whatsoever. It was possibly enough to suck in a dead fish, but a live, swimming, seeming healthy fish?
Has your circulation pump/wave maker ever done this?
Any other ideas?
Thanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A weak fish, yes, could easily be pulled by a pump.
Kick Ick, Ick X, Ick-B-Gon, will never fix ick ever, there claims are unproven and IMO, garbage.
Sorry for your loss, that fish is certainly a delicate one.

There are only three documented ways to rid this parasite.
TTM, Hypo and Copper in QT + 70ish days for DT.
Ick management is just a time bomb, of course, IMO

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kick Ick, Ick X, Ick-B-Gon, will never fix ick ever, there claims are unproven and IMO, garbage.

Thanks for the reply. I've read mixed opinions on Kick Ich.
Like I said, the fish was active and really did look healthy, except for the few spots. He was eating fine, and really did not look like he was dying.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ich and kick ich probably killed him, anything with ich in the name is junk.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I fully agree with this statement.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind it may have had a problem before you ever got it. In my maintenance business I'll peridicly get a bunch of the same species and have them all die about the same time even though they went to different systems. Most aquarists won't see that and assume the problem is their system when it's not

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above. Ich meds are junk. Copper is the only hope, but 'flies are delicate and don't like much copper for very long. I tried running low levels of copper in my 'fly tank over an extended period (advice of LFS). After about 3 weeks monitoring the levels, I started losing them. I have found that they can handle full dose copper for about 10-14 days which was enough time to eradicate the ich. Once the ich was pretty much gone, I placed Poly Filters in the sump and started biweekly water changes to get the copper out. The Poly Filters turn blue from the copper. Once they stop turning blue, the copper is out and the 'flies are happy. I have not lost a butterfly for a long time now, and any new 'fly going into the tank will get a fresh water bath and quarantine.
12.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. My question is if it was Ich or some other disease, wouldn't he have behaved differently? Not eating? Grasping for air? Lethargic? He was not. He was fine, other than the couple few spots on his tail.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. My question is if it was Ich or some other disease, wouldn't he have behaved differently? Not eating? Grasping for air? Lethargic? He was not. He was fine, other than the couple few spots on his tail.
I have had fish eat right up until the end and die. Some fish just keep going... until they suddenly don’t.

I had a Copperband in a established conditioning tank that was eating vigorously for weeks without a spot in it to dead in 8 hours.

You were at the end of your treatment with that med and your fish still had spots so that should tell you all you need to know about the effectiveness of the med.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back