My calcium levels high

Reeferburns

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2020
Messages
119
Reaction score
19
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m wondering if 490ppm and 9.6 dkh is bad or good? Do I need to try and lower my calcium? Also how do I maintain my alk level at 9.6.
 
Howdy and welcome
Your tank is fine. While on the high side nothing to worry about.
I will guess you are using a coral pro / reef crystal type salt instead of a regular reef salt
Why do you want to keep alk at 9.6?
 
I've found that when mixing Reef Crystals, mixing lower than 35ppt will yield lower ALK/Ca numbers.
 
Howdy and welcome
Your tank is fine. While on the high side nothing to worry about.
I will guess you are using a coral pro / reef crystal type salt instead of a regular reef salt
Why do you want to keep alk at 9.6?
I buy all my saltwater from a store but I believe they use coral pro but I’ll have to ask next time I get water. I just felt that 9.6 would be a good number but should I keep it higher or lower? Thank you for your reply!
 
I run mine at 9.
Most regular salt mixes at about 8 to 8.5
Any where between 7.5 to 10 should be fine.
 
The values are fine.

I'd suggest reading up on the pros and cons of higher and lower alk levels. The calcium level is not very important within a pretty wide range.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new