My calm isn't happy, but why?

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had many reefs over the years. I also had a huge Derasa (about 8 inches at the shell) and battled and won against Pyramid snails (different tank and many years ago). I recently got 4 T Maximas (2 Ultra blues, one black and color, and one black (like the dark one with white stripes - this is the one in question) and 1 Crocea directly from ORA. I've had them a little over two weeks. After some acclimation I moved them higher. Over the last 5 days one of them is showing poor mantle extension. I see no signs of Snails. I did scrub the shell and was pretty surprised at all the "stuff" that came off. Some algae, some small worms it seems, and some pods? A few were of the smaller ones were crawling around.

PAR is about 300 where this one is. Flow is moderate - mantle doesn't even really move. ALL 4 of the other clams look just fine. Standard parameters with ALK of 8.3-8.5, Mag 1400, Ca 450, N03 11, Po4 .04-.1 (trying to get it and keep it down to about .03). No fish seems to care about the clam and as I said all other clams look fine.

I have one Rabbit fish, one Tang, a clown fish and 4 mean (to each other and any other fish) Yellow tail damsels.

I imagine it must be a pest (but where and what?), light (but 300 while not 400+ should be adequate and if anything make the mantle extend more if it's low) flow (doesn't seem to be a problem). or a fish (don't see anything and don;t think any are really a threat to clams. I attached a pic of what i scribbed off. I scrubbed it again today and got the same assortment but a lot less of it.

LAstly, for the first 5 or so days it was where it is it was fine. I would think if it wasn't happy it would have not opened as much, or tried to flip itself somewhere else before 5 days past.

Any thoughts?

IMG_3230.jpg

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed phytoplankton to the tank? It is almost essential in a clam's juvenile stage.
Can you tell what your source of information is? As far as I know clams at sellable size are able to generate more energy from light than they need to thrive.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious, if it was happy where it was, why did you relocate it? Maybe put it back to its old spot and see if it comes back

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell what your source of information is? As far as I know clams at sellable size are able to generate more energy from light than they need to thrive.
According to Algae Barn. The text states, “ Under 4 inches, most still require supplemental feeding of zooplankton, phytoplankton, and bacterioplankton.”

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you feed phytoplankton to the tank? It is almost essential in a clam's juvenile stage.
This is absolutely false. An ailing clam may benefit from phyto (and other nitrogen sources), but it is absolutely not a requirement based on the size of the clam. There have been numerous studies that disproves this myth and in fact, a clam can produce well over 100% of it's nutritional needs just from photosynthesis alone. I urge you to read more about clams and simply not pass on something that you've read or heard, this is how misinformation spreads within the hobby and doesn't help anyone, especially someone new to keeping clams. A simple google search will bring up an article written by James Fatherree on this very subject.

To the OP, please post a clear pic under white lights so we can see the clam(s).

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely false. An ailing clam may benefit from phyto (and other nitrogen sources), but it is absolutely not a requirement based on the size of the clam. There have been numerous studies that disproves this myth and in fact, a clam can produce well over 100% of it's nutritional needs just from photosynthesis alone. I urge you to read more about clams and simply not pass on something that you've read or heard, this is how misinformation spreads within the hobby and doesn't help anyone, especially someone new to keeping clams. A simple google search will bring up an article written by James Fatherree on this very subject.

To the OP, please post a clear pic under white lights so we can see the clam(s).
Can you please show me to the link of this article? My searches never said anything about it being a “myth”. If this is in fact true then I am sorry for my ignorance.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Algae Barn. The text states, “ Under 4 inches, most still require supplemental feeding of zooplankton, phytoplankton, and bacterioplankton.”

Dr. Mack from Pacific East aquaculture who raises clams states they only need light, even juveniles. I trust some one who has set up clam farms and raises them vs someone who sells clams and also sells the supplements they say clams need. ;)

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Mack from Pacific East aquaculture who raises clams states they only need light, even juveniles. I trust some one who has set up clam farms and raises them vs someone who sells clams and also sells the supplements they say clams need. ;)
Yeah, you’re right. Thanks for opening my mind and expanding my knowledge of clams.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you’re right. Thanks for opening my mind and expanding my knowledge of clams.

Here's the video where he states they don't need supplemental feeding. It starts just after 2 minutes in. I'm only posting his video as info for anyone interested.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, apologies if I seemed a little crass. I have to remind myself that not everyone here reads books anymore or scientific research papers. Google Scholar is a deep dive into scientific research articles/published papers, etc...

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP, why do you want to lower PO4? 0.03ppm is borderline zero in my book. I think your animals would be a little happier with slightly elevated PO4. I think >0.05ppm would be the lowest I would go.

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good reaction this, kudos!
Some myths are hard to kill, especially when vendors/shops are giving the false information. Shops earn more with this info, after selling the clam they can sell a lot of phyto this way. Luckily phyto is normally only good for an aquarium even if its not directly helping the clams.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think some phyto in the water column would be taken up by a ton of filter feeders including clams, so maybe not a must, but certainly helpful.
IMG_0020.jpeg

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the thoughts.

Wanting to bring P04 down from .08 to .04 because some of my acros are a lot darker than when I first got them. Would like to try running at .04 and see if there is a positive effect on color.

As for Phyto and juvenile as has been stated that is not accurate. There was also a video by either (I forget) ORA of Biotoa and they also said they do not dose phyto. I also have vermatid snails and I don't really want to feed them (if they eat phyto).

The reason I moved the calm was that he was down on the bottom of the tank with only about 150 PAR. Also my Rabbitfish (or someone) seems to know stuff around down there so usually in the morning the clams were scattered and some on their sides. My intention from the get go was to move them onto the rocks and aquascape.

4 out of the 5 clams look fine. Maybe this one is just not going to thrive in my system for some unidentifiable reason.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for the thoughts.

Wanting to bring P04 down from .08 to .04 because some of my acros are a lot darker than when I first got them. Would like to try running at .04 and see if there is a positive effect on color.

As for Phyto and juvenile as has been stated that is not accurate. There was also a video by either (I forget) ORA of Biotoa and they also said they do not dose phyto. I also have vermatid snails and I don't really want to feed them (if they eat phyto).

The reason I moved the calm was that he was down on the bottom of the tank with only about 150 PAR. Also my Rabbitfish (or someone) seems to know stuff around down there so usually in the morning the clams were scattered and some on their sides. My intention from the get go was to move them onto the rocks and aquascape.

4 out of the 5 clams look fine. Maybe this one is just not going to thrive in my system for some unidentifiable reason.
If your acropora darken up with PO4 at that level, then you can give them more light. My PO4 is 0.35ppm and the acropora don't mind at all, they just need more light.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back