My conch snail has a hitchhiker (of some sort)! Help!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that video can be ID'd immediately, when viewed by the right person. It's so unique.... they'll know.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo after doing a bit more research on slipper limpet behavior I really think that these are slippers. These guys form colonial structures with young MALES (that is important ) on top and larger females on bottom. In order to reproduce the males will reach down with a long tube, find the females opening, and release sperm as she releases eggs. I think your poor conch is the victim of mistaken identity.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Like the drunk girl at a frat party.

That sounds like it could be the correct assumption, it's definitely the best of th elot.

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo after doing a bit more research on slipper limpet behavior I really think that these are slippers. These guys form colonial structures with young MALES (that is important ) on top and larger females on bottom. In order to reproduce the males will reach down with a long tube, find the females opening, and release sperm as she releases eggs. I think your poor conch is the victim of mistaken identity.
I read the same thing. Usually, Lipmets attach to oyster's and yes, they will stack up on top od each other. I have more video and pictures to upload tonight.....there is a surprise in the new video......stay tuned!

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is being brought to you by the number (3)! Three unknown passengers! Muah, ha, ha (in my best Count von Count impression). Although I am leaning more and more towards slipper limpets. Watch closely at around 23 seconds and again at 45 seconds. look to the left of the "active larger" passenger. I still haven't shot a good photo giving a better view of their shells.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 17 secs in on the video I linked, show a black *****. I'm pretty sure that's what yours are too.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Oh My! I didn't realize it had censored me! I was using the medical term! I swear! In the video, they label it too. O.O

I would not worry about them at all. They'd be easy to get out of there if ever you wanted to reduce their numbers.... but they're not looking too brilliant at this point.

High fives around the table. @Naiad led the hunt to victory!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it....

Per Don Barclay, it's a Hipponix, or a relative. They hitch a ride on the snail and then scavenge. The only possible harm is that they dissolve part of the host's shell to make their attachments more stable. As long as it's attached, it's no problem. If it dies or gets knocked off, it may leave an exposed hole in the shell."

http://www.reeflex.net/tiere/3360_Hipponix_sp.htm

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. Guess what? I found another one on one of my snails shells. They, as well as the conch came from the same LFS, same tank
Got it....

Per Don Barclay, it's a Hipponix, or a relative. They hitch a ride on the snail and then scavenge. The only possible harm is that they dissolve part of the host's shell to make their attachments more stable. As long as it's attached, it's no problem. If it dies or gets knocked off, it may leave an exposed hole in the shell."

http://www.reeflex.net/tiere/3360_Hipponix_sp.htm
Very cool! Thank you, Renee!

Last edited:
OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw one of these on the back of my conch and this was the first post i found i know it was 6 years ago but did you remove it ?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back