My Coral Collection - photo intense!

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which do you recommend? I just got a GHL KH Director and 2.1 stand alone doser and I'm highly unimpressed with both the quality of the product and the customer service. If my issues don't get resolved this week its getting returned so I'm open for suggestions.

I have the KH Guardian and I love it so far, very stable and very easy to setup

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running my Alkatronic for more than 6 months now. Had some parts issue but they solved pretty quick. It’s been solid after that.
Thanks. I'll def look into it. I feel like the GHL would be a nice product if they had half decent customer support and would help me get the issues resolved. Problem is you have to email them, wait a few days for a canned response, only to have to email them back and start the process all over. Its very inefficient and frustrating to say the least.

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mentioned earlier in the posts that I had some tank issues last year. Well everything had finally dialed in a few months ago and the tank was on the mend. However, I noticed that I was not using calc...like at all. Nutrients were stable, alk was locked in around 8.2 but my corals weren't taking in calc. I turned my doser off for 3 weeks, Zero draw down in calc. My goal was to use as little additives as possible, but two weeks ago I began introducing Acropower back into my system. The results have been amazing. The corals began using up calcium within a day. PE has been better than ever. And now everything is exploding with growth due to the uptake in calc. Not to mention I had some corals that just wouldn't turn the corner and look healthy after all the issues. Foxflame in particular. The tips lost tissue one day a few months ago and the colony looked like it was going to RTN. It stopped and settled in, but lost all the yellow in the tips. Fast forward two months, the coral was stable, tips looked bad still, and the color was dull. Now I have a lot of yellow returning and the tips are finally healing over. I had to dial my Alk and Calc dose back in but its been 2 days now with zero movement.

I'm going to take some full colony pics later to post for you all and log the growth and color changes that are occurring. I don't know if I was deficient in aminos but the tank was obviously missing something. My dose regiment is 2 tablespoons of acropower in a high flow area on Mondays and Fridays.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Russo
Im in the UK and cannot get hold of any amazing corals like yours but ive found someone selling vivids confetti but it looks nothing like yours although its under white light ,can you help with an opinion if you think its a a vivids confetti or not.many thanks Bill
vivids-confetti-acropora-coral dream C 1.jpg

jimbob928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Namaste - what an awesome coral collection. Your colors are fantastic! I can grow acropora corals ok, but I still must fine tune my system to get the colors you are able to obtain. Congratulations on your fine work!

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Russo
Im in the UK and cannot get hold of any amazing corals like yours but ive found someone selling vivids confetti but it looks nothing like yours although its under white light ,can you help with an opinion if you think its a a vivids confetti or not.many thanks Bill
vivids-confetti-acropora-coral dream C 1.jpg
Very hard to say from that picture. Confetti has gold polyps blended in and I don't see those, but it could def be spectrum. Shape looks like confetti...Wish I was more help bro

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think RR Angry Birds is tough, try to grow TGC Angry Birds. I have two colonies now and they are rarely colored up. Pickiest coral I own. HW needs LOTS of flow and 350-450 par to be happy.
How many hours do you keep the HW 350-450
I’ve got another one coming on Thursday.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to say from that picture. Confetti has gold polyps blended in and I don't see those, but it could def be spectrum. Shape looks like confetti...Wish I was more help bro
Thanks , I was looking for some orange /gold in it and does not look like anything on line your looks fantastic .thanks again

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spectacular corals! I so need that BC Unicorn !

Makes me want to set up separate grow out tank. I run the same G4 programs and 4 T5s but have been running two B+ and two C+. I had been contemplating moving to 4 B+ and will do so now seeing your corals.

What are you using for flow??

Thanks and keeps the pics coming!

BigRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mentioned earlier in the posts that I had some tank issues last year. Well everything had finally dialed in a few months ago and the tank was on the mend. However, I noticed that I was not using calc...like at all. Nutrients were stable, alk was locked in around 8.2 but my corals weren't taking in calc. I turned my doser off for 3 weeks, Zero draw down in calc. My goal was to use as little additives as possible, but two weeks ago I began introducing Acropower back into my system. The results have been amazing. The corals began using up calcium within a day. PE has been better than ever. And now everything is exploding with growth due to the uptake in calc. Not to mention I had some corals that just wouldn't turn the corner and look healthy after all the issues. Foxflame in particular. The tips lost tissue one day a few months ago and the colony looked like it was going to RTN. It stopped and settled in, but lost all the yellow in the tips. Fast forward two months, the coral was stable, tips looked bad still, and the color was dull. Now I have a lot of yellow returning and the tips are finally healing over. I had to dial my Alk and Calc dose back in but its been 2 days now with zero movement.

I'm going to take some full colony pics later to post for you all and log the growth and color changes that are occurring. I don't know if I was deficient in aminos but the tank was obviously missing something. My dose regiment is 2 tablespoons of acropower in a high flow area on Mondays and Fridays.

Great insight, it seems it’s always a constant balancing act to get things “right” if their is even such a thing. I’ve also seen improvements in growth but especially color dosing acropower. Another item I dose is Brightwell Lugol Iodine, usually a drop a week or every other week. I find it really helps with color. I run a ULNS and have had to start dosing nitrates which has also helped. I try to get mine around 5 but it’s realky difficult in my system. Appreciate your insight.

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hours do you keep the HW 350-450
I’ve got another one coming on Thursday.

Lost my two colonies in my crash earlier this year but it was getting 7 hours of peak par. Another 5 hours of just led and actinic.

I’m getting a replacement frag to grow soon. I’ll post pics and update them as it progresses.

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular corals! I so need that BC Unicorn !

Makes me want to set up separate grow out tank. I run the same G4 programs and 4 T5s but have been running two B+ and two C+. I had been contemplating moving to 4 B+ and will do so now seeing your corals.

What are you using for flow??

Thanks and keeps the pics coming!

Thank you for the compliments. My display was a hybrid of Gen4s and 4 B+ ATI, however I prefer the results I’m getting form the straight 8 bulb and Reefbrites.

I run three Gyres in my 60.

Two higher up for max flow and a smaller one down low to keep the bottom stirred up. I’ll have to check exact models later

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the compliments. My display was a hybrid of Gen4s and 4 B+ ATI, however I prefer the results I’m getting form the straight 8 bulb and Reefbrites.

I run three Gyres in my 60.

Two higher up for max flow and a smaller one down low to keep the bottom stirred up. I’ll have to check exact models later

Yeah I am running 2 Gyre 230s on alternating flow higher in my 93 cube. But only at 40% due to sand issue! Plus an MP10 lower on one side. I may add another MP 10 lower on the other for any dead areas.

I think we need a FTS of your display especially with the large BC Bubblebath Unicorn!

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am running 2 Gyre 230s on alternating flow higher in my 93 cube. But only at 40% due to sand issue! Plus an MP10 lower on one side. I may add another MP 10 lower on the other for any dead areas.

I think we need a FTS of your display especially with the large BC Bubblebath Unicorn!

My display isn't much to look at. Ive been slowly transitioning corals from there to my 60. Its a bunch of mushroom covered live rock with a few of the larger colonies left behind. I'll snap a shot with my phone and aquariclip later.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my two colonies in my crash earlier this year but it was getting 7 hours of peak par. Another 5 hours of just led and actinic.

I’m getting a replacement frag to grow soon. I’ll post pics and update them as it progresses.
What caused the crash??
I love a good cautionary tale

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
lol4.jpg

Beautiful pics again !!

Is there anything left in the ocean??

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back