My Cube-ish tank

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R, figured I'd introduce myself and start a journal on my tank. I don't really post much, but I also don't have a journal in regards to my tank. So, here we go.

Advanced Acrylics 54 x 40 x 22, peninsula style with external overflow
Advanced Acrylics 48 x 22 x 18 sump, 9" water line. VERY basic-only two chambers.
Clear For Life 30 x 12 x 18 sump, used as refugium. Plumbed into the bigger sump.
Aquamaxx ConeS CO2 skimmer
Fluval SP4
Vertex Illumina 36" LED
Two Vortech MP40QDs
Two Seaside Aquatics reactors running Carbon and GFO
Apex with two DC8s
Two AI Sols (Blues)-Unused @ the moment

It was a rushed setup-I had only 12 hours to break down my old tank and setup my new tank, so the stand isn't the greatest. It still needs a skin of sorts, but it'll suffice for now. It won't win any awards, but at least I can document the progression as time goes on.

OP
OP
B

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is. I'll take more photos when I'm off. Posting at work.

image.jpeg

Inhabitants:
blue tang
yellow tang
Indo Harlequin Tusk
2 Pajama Cardinals
1 flame wrasse
1 Scotts Fairy Wrasse
1 longnose hawkfish

Corals
2 different leather corals
1 5-headed hammer and 1 two-headed hammer
1 duncan colony
Orange Digitata frag
couple monitpora frags
a few frags of no-name zoas
bubble coral
1 RBTA

Plan is just to stock with relatively hardy, easy to maintain corals. Also need to set up a doser. I haven't done any WCs in a couple months due to work, and it's showing itself by the few SPS that I had which eventually died. So...I need to establish a better husbandry schedule. Nonetheless, here's to hoping for a better tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool and welcome!

OP
OP
B

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome.

I'm currently in the middle of a massive water change. I added anotherBTA which decided to wander a week later right into my mp40. Currently have done 80gallons and will be doing more until the water is clear. Added more prime and carbon. Thus far nothing has died, but my Duncan's are pretty ticked.

Also setup my apex. Will next work on a skin and door

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R man! Bad language you have[emoji12]
Do you know what caused the cloudy water? Is the tank in a brightly lit (sun) area during the day? Could be an algae bloom

OP
OP
B

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R man! Bad language you have[emoji12]
Do you know what caused the cloudy water? Is the tank in a brightly lit (sun) area during the day? Could be an algae bloom

Oh the cloud water are the remnants of a shredded BTA. The day before it looked like milk, as that's how cloudy the water was

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the cloud water are the remnants of a shredded BTA. The day before it looked like milk, as that's how cloudy the water was
Ah, gotcha. Hope you get it all cleared up man!

OP
OP
B

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46069293cf0f1821482a9f89d979abdd.jpg

e47e3138be2694a3e6ec0fca7d9da8a8.jpg

Couple small updates. Added 8 oscillaris clownfish (tank raised). There's a lot of hiding spots so I'm hoping to have success but I am also prepared to move some in the event I see aggression.

I also put an unused iPad to use. I'll use this to replace my apex display. Now I need to find a way to safely mount the iPad on the wall.

OP
OP
B

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30a712b684eacae1b76693448c716c3f.jpg

Got a tablet holder to hold an unused iPad for an Apex Fusion display.

OP
OP
B

boostedvq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing new to really report. CLeaned up the wiring a bit. Also added quite a few new frags about a month ago, but they slowly started dying. Checked parameters, Phos 0.02, Cal 440, SG 1.024, Mag 1400. Nitrates 20. Nitrite and Ammonia both 0; however Alk was low at 4.6 via Salifert. Slowly raised the Alk back up.

Also, going to be switching out to a steel stand, purely for aesthetic reasons. A good friend of mine works with steel and can get the materials very cheap. Labor will be compensated with labor in assisting his tank setup. Also ordered a pair of GHL Mitra LX6200.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back