My DIY Chaeto Reactor

KTrevino

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
82
Reaction score
97
Location
Georgia
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to get a Chaeto reactor for some time now to help reduce nitrates and phosphates. I started looking online and noticed that they all have one thing in common... they are pricey. So I went on a hunt to build my own. FYI my take is about 54 gallons.

​
Here are the supplies:​

  • Media Reactor: Aquamaxx GFO and Carbon Reactor

  • Tubing: 1/2 Inch Black tubing (10ft)

  • Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 (185gph)

  • Lights: LED Grow Light Strip (Amazon)
​
Assorted supplies:​
  • Scotch Super 33+ Electrical Tape (1 Roll)
  • Clear Scotch tape (few strips)
  • Chaetomorpha (Ordered from Reefcleaners.com)
Total Price ~ $155​
​
​
Here is how I built it:​
​
First I put together the Media Reactor and got the light strips out. The light strip is not one continuous strand but 4 (1.6 Ft) strands. So. I staggered them and taped them where I wanted them with the clear Scotch tape. Once it looked good I started to wrap it with the electrical tape, it took about half the roll. Then I placed the Chaeto in the reactor and hooked up the pump. I placed the pump in the skimmer chamber of my sump and the outlet in the return to the tank. The lights are set on a 12H timer now. Results to follow in the coming days.​
​
Note- My reactor is NOT submerged in my sump but it is under my tank.​
​
IMG_1023.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1015.JPG
​
If you have any questions let me know!​
 
I have been wanting to get a Chaeto reactor for some time now to help reduce nitrates and phosphates. I started looking online and noticed that they all have one thing in common... they are pricey. So I went on a hunt to build my own. FYI my take is about 54 gallons.

​
Here are the supplies:​

  • Media Reactor: Aquamaxx GFO and Carbon Reactor

  • Tubing: 1/2 Inch Black tubing (10ft)

  • Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 (185gph)

  • Lights: LED Grow Light Strip (Amazon)
​
Assorted supplies:​
  • Scotch Super 33+ Electrical Tape (1 Roll)
  • Clear Scotch tape (few strips)
  • Chaetomorpha (Ordered from Reefcleaners.com)
Total Price ~ $155​
​
​
Here is how I built it:​
​
First I put together the Media Reactor and got the light strips out. The light strip is not one continuous strand but 4 (1.6 Ft) strands. So. I staggered them and taped them where I wanted them with the clear Scotch tape. Once it looked good I started to wrap it with the electrical tape, it took about half the roll. Then I placed the Chaeto in the reactor and hooked up the pump. I placed the pump in the skimmer chamber of my sump and the outlet in the return to the tank. The lights are set on a 12H timer now. Results to follow in the coming days.​
​
Note- My reactor is NOT submerged in my sump but it is under my tank.​
​
IMG_1023.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1015.JPG
​
If you have any questions let me know!​

love to see how it works
 
Curious about the heat of the leds on the plastic over time
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new