OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize to everyone. Life is gotten busy I haven't had time to check the tank. I'm hopeful this weekend I can get to cleaning thing and hopefully by the first the year have it up on the stand. I want to take a quick moment do a shout out to Michael From NYAquatic. I ordered a pair of bonded maroon clowns from him and receive them this morning. They are awesome fish and we're packed perfectly. Truly a great product from a great vendor!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shoot man we understand!!

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally moving forward with this beast. Spent the last 2 weeks reinforcing the floor and roughing out the plumbing down to the basement. Made some cutouts in the walls to so will be viewed from three sides. I have the stand built, but will work finishing and detailing it out then onto buffing all the acrylic on the tank to make it look brand new.

IMG_6551.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

IMG_6549.JPG

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have sat on this tank for about a year now. In the last month have started to get things rolling. Ran 3 lengths of 1.5 inch PVC under my office floor, through my too narrow dirt floor crawl space into my basement (filtration room). Reinforced the office floor to handle 7-9k lbs. Did work on the wall to open the tank up from three views. I have built the stand, but need to skin it still which I hope to have done on the next couple months. Built a 100 gallon sump and repaired my AE Tech ETSS Downdraft Skimmer. I think I have all filtration, flow and lightening plans finalized in my head and hope to score big with black Friday sales! Momentum is starting to build and I am in hopes to have fish in by early spring.

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

IMG_6549.JPG

IMG_6550.JPG

IMG_6551.JPG

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filtration plan ----

Twin 1.5" Durso Overflows
100 Gallon Sump
7" pre filter socks
Polyfilter pre filter
4 large (Already Cycled) Marine Pure Blocks

55 gallon remote sump with 50L Siporax

100 gallon stock tank for fish "time out' and grow out

AE tech Gemini 1500 ETSS Skimmer powered by Iwaki 100 RLT

ARID C36

120W UV

Reeflo Tigershark return pump

Possible Catridge polishing filter after return

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

all rough plumbing is done. Three drain lines and one return line run under the house to the basement filtration room. Drain line sizes are 2 1.5 inches and one 2 inch. The reason all three aren't 2 inch is that this is a preowned tank and previous owner already has two holes drilled into the bottom to accommodate 1.5 inches. So my plan is that the 2 inch and one of the 1.5 inches will both function as primaries. The third 1.5 will be an emergency. The return is 1.5 inck off a reeflo tiger shark. Pump is rated at 8500 GPS but with head will be around 4500 gph. It will merge into a 1 inch closed return loop on the top of the tank similar to that described by Anthony Calfo. Also drilling the bottom this weekend for a closed loop. Closed loop will provide about 3000 gph. Lastly I will be mourning vertically 2 Gyre XF250s on either side of the overflow. The tank is a peninsula and I am trying every effort to avoid any power heads on the viewing panels. Seems counter intuitive with a peninsula style. Now I am working on designing the filtration room. Also contemplating best hearing option which a couple of you have given me great ideas. Will post some picture shortly.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
............onto buffing all the acrylic on the tank to make it look brand new.......................

Awesome build thus far.

I used all three Novus products on a 220 acrylic and it took forever but sure looked good when completed. I cannot imagine doing a 650.

Thanks for sharing and following.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heating question....weighing out three options

Total water volume is about 725 gallons

Option 1. A series of Eheim 300 watt on a Ranco. - lots of power consumptions and need replaced with some regularity

Option 2 Aqualogic cygnet in-line heater. A bit pricey just under $500

Option 3 heat exchanger . Probably around $500 as well and a little intimidating. Also have a tankless on demand water heater

You guys and gals out there what is the best option in your opinion???

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s acrylic, right? How thick? When I moved from my old glass 265 to the current 450 I ended up actually needing less heating watts. I had intended to go with an extra zone on my boiler (I don’t really like the hot water trick), but 1” acrylic insulates so well that the cost seemed unnecessary. For about 700total gallons I’m using a line of four EJ300s. Two off apex; two off ranco.

Keep in mind that using a heat exchanger won’t save you anything if your hot water is also electric.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s acrylic, right? How thick? When I moved from my old glass 265 to the current 450 I ended up actually needing less heating watts. I had intended to go with an extra zone on my boiler (I don’t really like the hot water trick), but 1” acrylic insulates so well that the cost seemed unnecessary. For about 700total gallons I’m using a line of four EJ300s. Two off apex; two off ranco.

Keep in mind that using a heat exchanger won’t save you anything if your hot water is also electric.

Yes acrylic and 1”. So great insulator! 300 watt jaegers seem so much easier. Maybe I will just start with that and go from there! Thanks for the opinion!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back