ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW TO THE SALTWATER WORLD

Hi guys,

Thought I would begin with a build thread. I am new to this side of aquariums and will be my first saltwater tank. Have had a small tropical for a few years and well I love the marine life and my young kids absolutely love going to see AQWA in Perth and recently lots of trips to the marine stores.

It took me a couple of months to really decide on a tank and well ended up with the new Waterbox 70.2 tank/stand and sump.

So far I have the following gear.

TANK: Waterbox 70.2 (262l)
LIGHTS: Radion xr15 g5 pro with stand
RTN PUMP: Octo varioS 2 pump
ATO: Kamour one SE
POWERHEADS: 1x Nero 3 wavemaker will get another once I have fish and coral.
CONTROLLER: Aqua medic Dual heater/cooler. 300W Heater and a Twin cooling fan.
SKIMMER: Bubble Magnus curve 5 (will arrive in 2 weeks time)
2 x 190L food grade storage barrels
1 for RODI Water and 1 for Saltwater

Am awaiting my LFS to get some dry rock instore hopefully by weds 2nd dec along with pure white sand.

Have gained lots of knowledge already hear thanks to loads of amazing people. Hope to post more soon.

Sorry tank needs a wipe down and cabinet.

16066276061787170686629123161438.jpg 16066276886222051557227934141564.jpg 1606627739855985143184834082985.jpg 16066280977502676212361578601670.jpg

HL333982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ReefRusty,

I'm currently waiting for delivery of the same exact tank and I'm weighing my options in terms of equipment (I have none).

Are you happy with your return pump so far? How's the noise?

I realize you just posted this a few days ago and your tank might not even be wet yet.

It seems as though you went premium in most of your equipment selections. Do you have any advice for more affordable options, especially regarding lights?

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ReefRusty,

I'm currently waiting for delivery of the same exact tank and I'm weighing my options in terms of equipment (I have none).

Are you happy with your return pump so far? How's the noise?

I realize you just posted this a few days ago and your tank might not even be wet yet.

It seems as though you went premium in most of your equipment selections. Do you have any advice for more affordable options, especially regarding lights?
That's awesome you will be happy with the tank. Unfortunately its still not wet yet, however the LFS has this pump running and is extremely quiet, you will hear the water more than the pump itself. Highly recommend. But if your on a budget there will be cheaper options out there, I'm not sure what would be quiet as well, others on hear might have had so luck.

In regards to lights I've read and been told besides a tank its the number 1 thing you should try not skimp out on. I was going to go with the Ai Hydra 32hd light but thought if im already spending that much an extra $120aud is only minor. It is an amazing light and the functions it offers.

I was also looking at the maxspec light system too this looked quite good from all the research I had done.

I went with a basic ATO only because a Tunze was 3 x the price for the same result.

Unfortunately there isnt much choices with a skimmer for this tank only die to the size in the sump. The bubble magus curve 5 and the octo classic 110-s skimmer were really my 2 options. Went with bubble magus only because it was again on black friday sale but still $280aud cheaper. Its still a really good skimmer again lots of research and videos on them.

Happy to answer any questions if you want. I'm to also learning as I go. I will also be using NSW (Natural sea water) only because its easier and closer to me. But also lazy to mix my own.

HL333982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome you will be happy with the tank. Unfortunately its still not wet yet, however the LFS has this pump running and is extremely quiet, you will hear the water more than the pump itself. Highly recommend. But if your on a budget there will be cheaper options out there, I'm not sure what would be quiet as well, others on hear might have had so luck.

In regards to lights I've read and been told besides a tank its the number 1 thing you should try not skimp out on. I was going to go with the Ai Hydra 32hd light but thought if im already spending that much an extra $120aud is only minor. It is an amazing light and the functions it offers.

I was also looking at the maxspec light system too this looked quite good from all the research I had done.

I went with a basic ATO only because a Tunze was 3 x the price for the same result.

Unfortunately there isnt much choices with a skimmer for this tank only die to the size in the sump. The bubble magus curve 5 and the octo classic 110-s skimmer were really my 2 options. Went with bubble magus only because it was again on black friday sale but still $280aud cheaper. Its still a really good skimmer again lots of research and videos on them.

Happy to answer any questions if you want. I'm to also learning as I go. I will also be using NSW (Natural sea water) only because its easier and closer to me. But also lazy to mix my own.
Thank a lot for your insights! It's perfect that we can compare our experiences with our tanks and Waterbox in general in real time.

I ended up ordering the same exact pump as it seems many Waterbox users with similar sizes were happy with it. The skimmer you suggested is looking good also.

Few questions:
What equipment do you plan on running during cycling? I've read some people run their skimmers, some don't. Powerheads during cycling? Lights on/off? Trying to map out what equipment I can get during/after cycling.

Also, do you think it is necessary to run two powerheads once the tank is fully stocked? I'm getting one or two MP10's.

Henk1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I’m deciding between the Marine 60.2 and the Reef 70.2 complete Marine Aquarium novice here but have had tropical since I was 6 years old.. will be good to see your setup!

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So futher progress on the tank, have completed the Aquascape sand will be going in early next week, can't wait for sand and water to start the cycle process. Unfortunately bubble magnus curve 5 skimmer wont be here as they are on back order and not looking to arrive till mid January. Very limited on skimmers due to the small chamber width on this WB sump. Any suggestions ??

I know the octo 110ss but didnt want to spend that much. And same with the nyos Q 120

Attachments

• 20201209_101455.mp4
    8.4 MB
  • 16074862812266610039855070376303.jpg
    16074862812266610039855070376303.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 16074863009407313933498247361535.jpg
    16074863009407313933498247361535.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 132
OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now officially have water in the tank. Went with NSW over mixed, however my salinity is sitting at 1.028 little on the high side. When the LFS opens tommorrow will be able to get some RO water to change out some from the tank to reduce.

Once i have this right I can begin the cycle process.

Having issues dialing in the return pump and the skimmer box with the correct flow to both reduce noise at the overflow and in the sump. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok wow what I have endured the last 12 hours. Opened cabinet this morning and noticed my RO was filled to the brim over flowing back into the sump.

Called the LFS, not opened. Emailed them got a call 5 minutes later. Told them ive emptied the RO chamber and its leaking in bottom corner flowing. Within 30 mina lls the guys were around here and swapped out the sump for a new one. WOW talk about service. Tank is now back up and running and have now started the cycle process.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the leak I had..amazing service received from Aquarium Gallery. New sump and now on day 12 of my cycle. Weds hopefully have 0 Ammonia as my Nitrates are on the rise and have been stable for a few days now. Whats thw rule of thumb? 25% 50% 75% for aq water change after cycle is complete?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back