My first build110g acrylic!!!!! Yaya BUDDY.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL..i noticed ,loafers too,way :cool: to enjoy build
@Scratch08 @fishguy242 well you see if I didn’t have to have my garage door open I would have done it in my underwear lol. Plus it was like 85 here today and that’s pretty warm this time of year for Washington. But yes I’ve enjoyed every bit of this one well except the fact that I built it on a garage slab that’s not level so all I can do is square everything and trust my building skills. My next pics will be of watching paint dry.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scratch08 @fishguy242 well you see if I didn’t have to have my garage door open I would have done it in my underwear lol. Plus it was like 85 here today and that’s pretty warm this time of year for Washington. But yes I’ve enjoyed every bit of this one well except the fact that I built it on a garage slab that’s not level so all I can do is square everything and trust my building skills. My next pics will be of watching paint dry.
Yeah, it was 93 here today with 85% humidity...if I didn't have neighbors I'd been working on mine in the buff, with copious amounts of strategically applied sunscreen, when I was refinishing my stand. If you need pictures of what watching paint/stain dry looks like, you can look at mine again ;Woot

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it was 93 here today with 85% humidity...if I didn't have neighbors I'd been working on mine in the buff, with copious amounts of strategically applied sunscreen, when I was refinishing my stand. If you need pictures of what watching paint/stain dry looks like, you can look at mine again ;Woot
Ya I’m not looking forward to going back to workin this heat and wearing a mask it’s going to suck I’m kinda hoping they tell my happy butt to keep isolating lol.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’m not looking forward to going back to workin this heat and wearing a mask it’s going to suck I’m kinda hoping they tell my happy butt to keep isolating lol.
I've been working since April 15...small office group, not a whole lot of contact with people outside the office, but not exactly a hotspot here either.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working since April 15...small office group, not a whole lot of contact with people outside the office, but not exactly a hotspot here either.
Ya I work in king county here in Washington the place that got hit hardest first. I also work outside doing physical work and such wearing a mask already sucks because I have something called stage 4 sarcoidosis which effects lungs. But hey I’ll manage.

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well stand is paint only thing left is to put the handles on the doors and then it’s off to put the sump on. Then Tuesday is plumbing hopefully as I should have most of the stuff then. But I did happen the find an eshopps r100 3rd gen for 100 so with buying that the return pump I bought will no longer work so had to purchase a new one. Well tomorrow is a good day.

4B701477-D263-4961-ACAA-090E46ABFFE7.jpeg C0F3F00D-BB3B-4B55-A2FD-B9116CD9FA07.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cool nice sump ,compared to old one ;)

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well tomorrow I get plumbing and this beach is ready got all but 2 bulkheads plugged need to get new ones. But pick those up in the am hopefully the pvc comes early and I’ll be dumping water in her tomorrow evening and have here running test cycles for the next day. Still a bit of work but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. And boy does this setup look much better on my stand and no hood. I’m naming her sleek and sexy lol. Here’s some update pics. And I did all my work in these today lol.

mom a good note my smaller sump is going to allow me to keep my ato container in the stand yayabuddy

A291EC6F-2C05-4792-9314-BE514CF00A9B.jpeg 39FE7B8F-8838-4D0E-9F9E-3AE8DF4C2E46.jpeg image.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cool cool ,water tomorrow eh =soggy slippers..lol :cool:

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well didn’t get a chance to leak test because pvc didn’t show up till 6 so got a late start. But got her all done tomorrow leak test for a few hours. Here are the final pics only a few minor things to complete tomorrow after leak test.

B40C6E31-999D-4CFA-8B4D-6502BBB2E59F.jpeg 33525ED5-6B43-4C6D-93AE-8D1871520EC9.jpeg DEEDA017-62CF-4FD2-AFE1-8BD84ECFEA6E.jpeg

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well she has been filled for 5 hrs and running pump and skimmer no leaks everything is holding think it’s safe to drain now? Just a few more finishing touches like a finish installing the drain system and putting a protective screen on it and well she’s done and ready to be moved into its new home

DDD699A6-CF6C-4800-8400-EB98532CC5E4.jpeg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
way to go!!

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya felt pretty accomplished but omg if I turn up to much I get the burp from drain tube constantly from sucking to much air so I turn it down and it almost seems like no flow coming out of the returns there anyway to stop air or siphon in the overflow and keep a solid turnover rate my pump is rated at 1930gph and it’s was roughly 60% before it starts to burp. Think that is good enough?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
think prob getting approx 800 gph at that point ,think there is a way to eliminate burp and get more drain if overflow can handle any thoughts @Scratch08 ??

OP
OP
Aggro

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know me and scratch talked about pumps and over flow I went with overflow rated for a 150g tank and pump it’s a dc so it can be turned down. I guess just worried that I may not be having the turnover like it should. I’ve read the darsi style or whatever the overflow is called might work. But idk. When I reset up tomorrow I’ll give it a go

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few things, with the drains set up the way you have them, they are going to burp, I prefer the Bean Animal set up...virtually silent and its set and forget. Looks like your trying to run a Herbie style drain? If so, yo need to modify it some, nothing too major though...you need to add a second piece of pvc into the bulkhead that doesnt have any in it, in your overflow box. It needs to be taller than the other pipe in there, essentially you want 1 siphon and 1 emergency drain. Next, you need to add a valve to your siphon drain, I prefer gate valves here for ease of adjustment, but a ball valve will work. Need this to control your siphon, otherwise its just going to to keep burping. Next...your return pipes are not equal in length, you may need to add a ball valve on the shorter side and valve it off a little bit to even out the flow between the 2 outlets. AND FINALLY (probably not but we'll call it that for now ;) ) You should only be running about 5-7x you capacity...10x max, you have a 110 gal, so at the 800 gph that @fishguy242 estimated, you're not far from where you need to be. Dont rely on your return for the flow in your tank, thats what power heads, wave makers and closed loop systems are for.By my calculations, I am running right at 700 gph through my sump on my 75 gal tank, 400-500 of that is going through my refugium the rest is dumping straight into my skimmer chamber. ANd I still feel like I have too much going through, but my pump is on the next to the lowest setting ;Jawdrop

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add another wrinkle or two. About using the plumbing for water changes..it is nice to have a dedicated "out" line or t but in reality, you usually vaccum up stuff while doing a water change.

One thing that I never see done but is a great idea.. got it from the fresh water guys. Is to T off your main return line (from the Pump to the tank) and run the line directly to your filter sock chamber. When you want to clean your sump you just close the return line to the tank and open the line to the sock chamber. Then you just scrub a dub dub with the water running and all the crud in your sump runs through the filter socks and can be removed from the system (and does not get pumped to the tank).

Just an idea but it does work wonderfully. Congrats on the new tank!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back